View Poll Results: Is Storm able to carry her own solo ongoing book for multiple years?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes? (How or why?)

50 48.54%
  • No (Why not?)

53 51.46%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by X-Logan View Post
    No, She can't. Marvel has already tried and failed not only with her but also with every single one of the most famous x-men. The truth is that there is only character of the entire x-franchise (you know who,right?) that IS capable of that.

Or two if you considered Deadpool.
    So what changes do you feel need to be made to her character in order to make her capable of such?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Yes, she can. She just needs a strong creative team and a cohesive vision. Her last few solos have been unremarkable, and unremarkable won't sell for a female-led solo title sadly. But look at how beloved X-Men Red has been with Storm at the forefront.
    Do you have a particular creative team in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    1. Storm requires a skilled writer who can truly grasp her voice, history, and powers. While many have struggled to grasp these aspects, Chris Claremont, Al Ewing, and to an extent, Coates, have succeeded.

2. Storm has long surpassed her roles in the X-Men and Black Panther narratives. Her connections extend beyond the X-Men and T'Challa to the broader Marvel Universe. Crafting stories with her and Dr. Strange shouldn't be difficult, considering Storm's history is intertwined with Oshtur, the very entity from whom Dr. Strange derives his magic. It's hard to believe that no one can make a story with such rich potential.

3. I can understand why some believe she can't carry her own book. But that's only the X-Office and Marvel to blame because they spend TOO MUCH time on Wolverine and Deadpool. Two people whom I don't find interesting at all.
    Would 1 and 2 translate to high enough long-term sales in the current market?

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    In order for a Storm solo book to thrive, the following would have to happen:

-first and foremost, you need an incredible writer who understands the character, isn't afraid of the scale of her powers, and is able to tap into the various aspects of her personality to present engaging stories. That's a tall order already.

-second, you need an incredible art team who can make her simultaneously sexy, dignified, and dynamic. The balance of those aspects is crucial. I think underplaying her attractiveness was one of the biggest faults in that Pak Storm series from a decade ago. That and the boring colors.

-beyond those obvious two, you'll need to flesh out her supporting cast and rogues gallery, which could heavily draw from established fan favorites(like Jean, Betsy, Rogue, Scarlet Witch, Wolverine, Black Panther, and Thor, for example), but would also need newer, book-specific characters just for her.
    Do you have a writer/artist team in mind that can pull this off?

Also, exactly what type of book-specific supporting cast would she need to have?

I don't think Storm has a built-in audience large enough to carry a solo ongoing book for multiple years. She can certainly develop that but it requires a good creative team and long term commitment from marvel, the latter being seen as a risk in todays cynical market. Tbf a Storm solo would probably sell more than a Moon Knight or even a Doctor Strange solo but this is the point that the popularity of X-men becomes a weakness. Instead of investing in a Storm solo with top tier creatives, marvel will direct them to one of the team books which they see as safer options. In short, the expectations are higher when it comes to the x-brand. If Storm was a character completely divorced from the X-men, I'd guarantee you she'd be the leading lady of marvel with multiple solos by now.

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post
    In my opinion Storm is too 'big' for a solo comic because her character is too big. As someone said earlier with "she needs a simple powerset". She also needs more of a simple background but she is by far the most vast character background person in the X-Men.

She's a goddess, she's a thief, she's a leader, she's a seductress, she's a motherly figure, she's a nudist, she's a future vampire queen, she's a magic-user, she's an ex-wife, she's a former Wakadan Queen, she's fierce, she's gentle, she's loving, she's vengeful, she's fearless, she's claustrophobic. You can't take ALL of those character traits and condense it down into one solo comic because there are fans of each of those aspects of Storm and when it's left out they will say 'This isn't Storm". The same can even be said for her hairstyles.

She's just too good of a character to fit into a solo book at this point. You'd almost have to intentionally say "We are doing a solo book but its specifically set in this time period". So the readership knows that you're using that version of Storm but you're still going to alienate the segment of fans that like the other eras of her more but from a writing standpoint you at least have a narrative focus for which Storm you're dealing with.
    By extension, wouldn't this also make her "too big" for a team book as well?

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post
    In my opinion Storm is too 'big' for a solo comic because her character is too big. As someone said earlier with "she needs a simple powerset". She also needs more of a simple background but she is by far the most vast character background person in the X-Men.

She's a goddess, she's a thief, she's a leader, she's a seductress, she's a motherly figure, she's a nudist, she's a future vampire queen, she's a magic-user, she's an ex-wife, she's a former Wakadan Queen, she's fierce, she's gentle, she's loving, she's vengeful, she's fearless,
    she's claustrophobic. You can't take ALL of those character traits and condense it down into one solo comic because there are fans of each of those aspects of Storm and when it's left out they will say 'This isn't Storm". The same can even be said for her hairstyles.

She's just too good of a character to fit into a solo book at this point. You'd almost have to intentionally say "We are doing a solo book but its specifically set in this time period". So the readership knows that you're using that version of Storm but you're still going to alienate the segment of fans that like the other eras of her more but from a writing standpoint you at least have a narrative focus for which Storm you're dealing with.
    None of this makes much sense when you consider Poison Ivy has been the most consistent female solo for almost 2 years now and she shares almost all of those traits with Storm. Pam and Ororo are very similar, two sides of the same coin to such a degree that Ivy being Storm's archnemesis makes a lot of sense.

But somehow DC has made Ivy work as a protagonist while Marvel can't take off with Storm. I think storytellers aren't aiming high enough for her. Her stories need to be more epic, her villains as interesting as Ivy or maybe on the flip capitalist side, Lady Eboshi from Princess Mononoke. As yogaflame said, they also need to highlight her beauty as not a small part of Ivy's solo success is because so many great artists want to draw gorgeous variant covers for her.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 04-05-2024 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Tbf a Storm solo would probably sell more than a Moon Knight or even a Doctor Strange solo
    July 2023
    Moon Knight #25 - 6
    Doctor Strange #5 - 44
    Storm #3 -163

August 2023
    Moon Knight #26 - 22
    Doctor Strange #6 - 49
    Storm #4 - 170

September 2023
    Moon Knight #27 - 25
    Doctor Strange #7 - 52
    Storm #5 - 169

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Wolverine deadpool cable and Gambit could. Storm is great but I don't see her going past 12.
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by The Lame Ugly Looking Joke View Post
    Do you have a writer/artist team in mind that can pull this off?

Also, exactly what type of book-specific supporting cast would she need to have?
    Historically, the book I see as an interesting template for a Storm solo would be Promethea by Alan Moore and J. H. Williams III, which had a 32 issue run from America's Best Comics/WildSTORM in the late 90's/early '00's. One of my favorites of all time, even if it was a bit niche. I would love to see that creative team do a Storm book!

In terms of more recent/active creatives, I would love to see Lord Al Ewing take another shot at her explicitly as a solo book. I am so sad to see him leaving the character after the best run with her in decades. Artist-wise, lots of his collaborators were great, but if I get to shop, I'll pick Dauterman. A Ewing/Dauterman Storm solo would sell in this market. Olivier Coipel would be another great choice, or Clay Mann.

I wish I knew of a black woman writer who would sell in this market and have a good grasp of Ororo, but I don't know her.

Supporting characters wise, I like Craig of Nasa, and would be fine seeing him continue as Storm's 'Lois Lane' lover. I'd hesitate to really dive into additional allies and adversaries at this point, though, unless Marvel wants to hire me. I'll write and draw/color!

laughingstorm copy.jpg

allnewalldifferent copy.jpg
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I don't like solo titles for X-men characters.

I think the concept of mutants works better as a group.

A character-focused limited series or story arc is ok, but not a solo.

Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post
    July 2023
    Moon Knight #25 - 6
    Doctor Strange #5 - 44
    Storm #3 -163

August 2023
    Moon Knight #26 - 22
    Doctor Strange #6 - 49
    Storm #4 - 170

September 2023
    Moon Knight #27 - 25
    Doctor Strange #7 - 52
    Storm #5 - 169

Holy ****. When did Moon Knight become that popular? I thought he was a niche character with a dedicated fanbase and his biggest impact on public conscience before his tv series was that stupid Dracula meme.

Things needed to help with an ongoing series(for however ongoings last these days) for Storm:

1. She needs more exposure outside of the X-Books. Believe it or not, not everyone is picking up an X-book. Put Storm on an Avengers team. Let her step in as a member of the FF. She should have more appearances in books like Captain Marvel, Thor, She-Hulk, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man, Captain America etc. She needs to be seen as more than just the resident mutant goddess of the X-Men.

2. More and better rogues. If I see Storm fight Shadow, King, the Adversary or some other mystical opponent one more time, I'll kick their a$$es$ myself. Please expand her rogues and they all don't have to be mutants either. Genesis, Moses Magnum, The Deviants, a few cosmic villains(Terrax, Super Skrulls, Proxima Midnight, Corvus Glaive, Kree Accusers, Imperial Guard members just to name a few). It wouldn't hurt to have her do some H2H either. She's can do more than just shoot lightning, she can kick ass without powers.

3. No more stories about self-discovery. If Storm doesn't know who she is by now then she has a problem. There can be a few mysteries here and there(something about her parents, a never-before-seen relative). But please, enough of these stories where she has to look deep inside herself or go on some journey to discover something deep inside for some kind of growth. Ease up on these type stories, please.

4. Supporting cast that is a combination human, mutants, aliens. The more diverse the better. Lots of materials to work with to tell better stories.

This is where I would lay the foundation. Plant some seeds in the X-Books that would carry over into other titles. This would give her more opportunities to build up interest and get more eyes on her.

My two dollars and 2 cents.

Red was basically Storm's solo, so I think she can. It also depends on the story you want to tell about her.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I wish I knew of a black woman writer who would sell in this market and have a good grasp of Ororo, but I don't know her.
    Tee Franklin's Harley Quinn animated series spin-off comics sold relatively well for animated spin-off comics and she did a great job exploring different kinds of inner turmoils with Harley and especially Ivy so I think she could write a great Storm. She's also queer in addition to being black so she would definitely approach Ororo's sapphic side with more compassion.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Things needed to help with an ongoing series(for however ongoings last these days) for Storm:

1. She needs more exposure outside of the X-Books. Believe it or not, not everyone is picking up an X-book. Put Storm on an Avengers team. Let her step in as a member of the FF. She should have more appearances in books like Captain Marvel, Thor, She-Hulk, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man, Captain America etc. She needs to be seen as more than just the resident mutant goddess of the X-Men.

2. More and better rogues. If I see Storm fight Shadow, King, the Adversary or some other mystical opponent one more time, I'll kick their a$$es$ myself. Please expand her rogues and they all don't have to be mutants either. Genesis, Moses Magnum, The Deviants, a few cosmic villains(Terrax, Super Skrulls, Proxima Midnight, Corvus Glaive, Kree Accusers, Imperial Guard members just to name a few). It wouldn't hurt to have her do some H2H either. She's can do more than just shoot lightning, she can kick ass without powers.

3. No more stories about self-discovery. If Storm doesn't know who she is by now then she has a problem. There can be a few mysteries here and there(something about her parents, a never-before-seen relative). But please, enough of these stories where she has to look deep inside herself or go on some journey to discover something deep inside for some kind of growth. Ease up on these type stories, please.

4. Supporting cast that is a combination human, mutants, aliens. The more diverse the better. Lots of materials to work with to tell better stories.

This is where I would lay the foundation. Plant some seeds in the X-Books that would carry over into other titles. This would give her more opportunities to build up interest and get more eyes on her.

My two dollars and 2 cents.

All of this 100%.

Storm has the Potential Marvel just refuses to give her a Chance.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Marvel would rather take their Chances on Spider-Woman, Captain Marvel and the Scarlet Witch than to give Storm a solo.

Because apparently those Women seem to sell more than Storm.
    Last edited by Cyclone_Ablaze; 04-05-2024 at 01:05 PM.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Could she? probably.

But she's a female. And a black female at that. It's going to be 10x harder for her to carry a solo and you need a STRONG creative team behind her and a strong promotional push.