View Poll Results: Is Storm able to carry her own solo ongoing book for multiple years?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes? (How or why?)

50 48.54%
  • No (Why not?)

53 51.46%
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    Again, this just proves the person right who said the problem isn't Storm, it's the fans who have the problem. X-Men fans want so badly to box all the characters in, that it doesn't allow for growth for said characters. There's no reason why she has to cut ties with the X-Men to have a solo. I'm not the biggest fan of that X-Men gold run but I remember when she wanted to go back to her homeland to investigate what was happening she asked to do it alone and they respected her wishes. These are grown ass people who should have a life outside the X-Men.

I agree with everyone who said, given the right creative team and storyline (not some nostalgia b.s. like they recently did) she very well can carry a solo ongoing. But I honestly could see a lot of X-Men fans not supporting it, not because they don't like the story, but just simply because its a solo.
    Exactly. Storm having a solo doesn't cut her ties to the X-Men and her entire life shouldn't revolve around being an X-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I think X-Men Red already proved she could carry a solo for a long period. Like others have mentioned you need a great writer and artist team to start because as cool as Storm is she’s not on the same level as a Logan or Deadpool yet so the creative team has to bring it. She needs to have a foe that isn’t Shadow King, let her cut loose and show why she’s an Omega level character, don’t subvert expectations give the people what they came to see and make it big! Finally I think if you have a few cameos for say like 3 issues a year like Logan or Magneto or another A lister that can carry a solo already that people will buy the heck out of her book. X-Men 97 will do nothing but rise her stock, she’s been a main player in 3/4 episodes and hard arguably the coolest moment in episode 1. If Marvel’s going to do it it should be now or really soon.
    Omg, yes NO MORE Shadow King!!!
    "I AM A GODDESS OF LIFE AS WELL AS OF STORMS. IF IT IS WITHIN MY POWER TO SAVE YOU -- I SHALL." - ORORO MUNROE

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yeah, I know what the topic is about. I'm just pointing out that just as Logan has a solo that deals with threats, human, mutant, alien and otherwise, I don't see how those same topics can't be done in a Storm solo.

My point in Storm being on other teams is saying that it would be an opportunity for Storm to have more exposure in other areas of the MU. That exposure expands her fanbase which in turn provides a greater opportunity for a Storm Solo.

I feel this ignores who Storm is as a character. When she sees a threat and doesn't agree with how the main team wants to deal with it her solution has never been to solve it herself, it was to find others who agreed with her and make a team. Yes she can solve problems on her own, like in the current Magneto mini, but that is only an option she takes if she feels like that is the only way to do it. Her preference to working with a team is a strength, not a weakness. Others run off to do things alone because they don't want the responsibility of taking care of their teammates when they throw themselves in danger. Storm never had this problem. She can do things alone but that is not her default preference. I don't see how you can justify a long running solo of her doing things alone with her allies readily available without redefining who she is as a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoks View Post
    I feel this ignores who Storm is as a character. When she sees a threat and doesn't agree with how the main team wants to deal with it her solution has never been to solve it herself, it was to find others who agreed with her and make a team. Yes she can solve problems on her own, like in the current Magneto mini, but that is only an option she takes if she feels like that is the only way to do it. Her preference to working with a team is a strength, not a weakness. Others run off to do things alone because they don't want the responsibility of taking care of their teammates when they throw themselves in danger. Storm never had this problem. She can do things alone but that is not her default preference. I don't see how you can justify a long running solo of her doing things alone with her allies readily available without redefining who she is as a person.
    I don't get how a Storm solo would be ignoring her character? Wouldn't the solo focus and bring out more of her character? How is a solo interpreted as her running away from her responsibility to her team? That would imply that if Storm has a solo then she she's turning her back on the X-Men and that she can have a solo and still be on the team.

So in other words, Storm is only defined by her place in the X-Men and not as an individual person. That's really selling her short.

Fantastic Member

I don't get how a Storm solo would be ignoring her character? Wouldn't the solo focus and bring out more of her character? How is a solo interpreted as her running away from her responsibility to her team? That would imply that if Storm has a solo then she she's turning her back on the X-Men and that she can have a solo and still be on the team.

So in other words, Storm is only defined by her place in the X-Men and not as an individual person. That's really selling her short.
    I don't see how you are drawing that conclusion from what I said. Not everybody's solution to a problem is to run in and blast or slash away until the problem is gone. Storm choosing a team approach doesn't make her less of an individual but shows how much she can shine regardless of who she is around. It doesn't have to be just Mutants. She can easily team up with some Avengers or the Fantastic Four to thwart potential threats. How does making her behave like Wolverine gives her individuality? That's just copying somebody else's behavior. Her ability to draw people to fight alongside her for her cause is one of her personal traits. Take Wolverine's solo as an example. He still has people around him, he just tends to run off by himself to solve whatever problem he has. Gambit is a different example. He operates alone in his solos because it usually revolves around theft. He cannot bring his allies along. If Storm had people with her they would very much need to be in a situation where they cannot fight if she has to take action alone, because otherwise that is a complete waste of one of her strengths.

I don't see how you are drawing that conclusion from what I said. Not everybody's solution to a problem is to run in and blast or slash away until the problem is gone. Storm choosing a team approach doesn't make her less of an individual but shows how much she can shine regardless of who she is around. It doesn't have to be just Mutants. She can easily team up with some Avengers or the Fantastic Four to thwart potential threats. How does making her behave like Wolverine gives her individuality? That's just copying somebody else's behavior. Her ability to draw people to fight alongside her for her cause is one of her personal traits. Take Wolverine's solo as an example. He still has people around him, he just tends to run off by himself to solve whatever problem he has. Gambit is a different example. He operates alone in his solos because it usually revolves around theft. He cannot bring his allies along. If Storm had people with her they would very much need to be in a situation where they cannot fight if she has to take action alone, because otherwise that is a complete waste of one of her strengths.
    No one said a Storm solo has to be like Wolverine's or Gambit's. And no one said that Storm will just go off blasting or slashing her way thru every problem in a solo either. It's very possible for Storm to have a solo with stories where other heroes(not just mutants) step in to help and stories where she handles problems all by herself.

Also, I don't see why it's not possible for Storm to have a solo and still be in the X-Men. It's a win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I think X-Men Red already proved she could carry a solo for a long period. Like others have mentioned you need a great writer and artist team to start because as cool as Storm is she’s not on the same level as a Logan or Deadpool yet so the creative team has to bring it. She needs to have a foe that isn’t Shadow King, let her cut loose and show why she’s an Omega level character, don’t subvert expectations give the people what they came to see and make it big! Finally I think if you have a few cameos for say like 3 issues a year like Logan or Magneto or another A lister that can carry a solo already that people will buy the heck out of her book. X-Men 97 will do nothing but rise her stock, she’s been a main player in 3/4 episodes and hard arguably the coolest moment in episode 1. If Marvel’s going to do it it should be now or really soon.
    Yes, timing is very important to launching a solo for a characters that ins't traditionally a solo character. Right now, coming off from Ewing's run, with 97 and a new era, it could be the perfect time to give Storm a solo.

I think the best time to experiment with a solo for a character is right after some important storyline that changes their status quo or when they came back from the dead, unfortunately marvel wasted it with Cyclops, they should have give him a solo after AvX but chose to give it to the teen version.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Logan View Post
    No, She can't. Marvel has already tried and failed not only with her but also with every single one of the most famous x-men. The truth is that there is only character of the entire x-franchise (you know who,right?) that IS capable of that.

Or two if you considered Deadpool.
    Thats not true. Cable has and did have a successful multiple year series run

Fantastic Member

No one said a Storm solo has to be like Wolverine's or Gambit's. And no one said that Storm will just go off blasting or slashing her way thru every problem in a solo either. It's very possible for Storm to have a solo with stories where other heroes(not just mutants) step in to help and stories where she handles problems all by herself.

Also, I don't see why it's not possible for Storm to have a solo and still be in the X-Men. It's a win-win.
    Most of my posts were about how story wise I think she'd need to leave the X-Men. In reality terms if she's still on the team fans won't buy it. X-Men lore is only considered "official" if it comes out the main books, as all the stuff that happens in the side books often never see the light of day again. A Storm solo while she's still on the team would look like a money grab at worst, and a fun side-story at best. If she's off (or at least mostly away from) the team she can be moved to mainstream Marvel, with most of her plot development coming out of her own book, and not at the whims of whatever X-Event is happening. This way it announces to the rest of the comic fandom that you can safely read this book without needing to keep up with much more convoluted X-Men lore.

Most of my posts were about how story wise I think she'd need to leave the X-Men. In reality terms if she's still on the team fans won't buy it. X-Men lore is only considered "official" if it comes out the main books, as all the stuff that happens in the side books often never see the light of day again. A Storm solo while she's still on the team would look like a money grab at worst, and a fun side-story at best. If she's off (or at least mostly away from) the team she can be moved to mainstream Marvel, with most of her plot development coming out of her own book, and not at the whims of whatever X-Event is happening. This way it announces to the rest of the comic fandom that you can safely read this book without needing to keep up with much more convoluted X-Men lore.
    I dont see how that even makes sense when there have been several Xmen that have had solo series while still being on a team. Wolverine, Cable, Gambit, Rogue, Jean Grey, Storm herself, X-23. I dont know why you think fans wouldn buy it specifically for her when its rarely been an issue before

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Thats not true. Cable has and did have a successful multiple year series run
    He had but the x-men was much more popular back in the day. Today I am not so sure that he could. When was the last time one of his ongoing past over number 24?
    But that's just me. I could be wrong and i wish i was but I really think the x-men will never recover from the damage Marvel did in the x-franchise during all those years they dont had the rights.

He had but the x-men was much more popular back in the day. Today I am not so sure that he could. When was the last time one of his ongoing past over number 24?
    But that's just me. I could be wrong and i wish i was but I really think the x-men will never recover from the damage Marvel did in the x-franchise during all those years they dont had the rights.
    To be fair there hasnt been an attempt to give him a long ongoing. His last one was during the recent era but that was a finite story for Kid Cable. Before that he had one during the ReXurrection era but all the books ended prior to Hickman returning. And before that he had the series with Hope which again, only existed to tell that speciic story of her being raised in the future before coming to be the Messiah. I think Cable does still have potential to carry a solo title

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont see how that even makes sense when there have been several Xmen that have had solo series while still being on a team. Wolverine, Cable, Gambit, Rogue, Jean Grey, Storm herself, X-23. I dont know why you think fans wouldn buy it specifically for her when its rarely been an issue before
    We're not talking about a mini, we're talking about a multi-year ongoing book. Only the Wolverines, Gambit, and Cable had series that lasted longer than a year. Cable shouldn't count because he's more of a peripheral member rather than a mainline character. Most of his plot almost always came out of his own book. Gambit has his own shtick as a thief who still dabbles in his side career, so he got at least some appeal in reading what was obviously a side-book. That leaves the Wolverines, and their appeal is something else entirely: they are the bloody violent type that you won't see in the X-Men books outside of X-Force.

Now let's look at how Storm acts in her solos. The last time they tried something that was more than a mini was Storm's 2014 solo. It didn't stick because she was still tied to the X-Men overall story. Nothing happening in that series had ramifications on the X-Men line, so if fans wanted to save money and drop a book, that was a safe drop. At the same time since all of the plot was pretty much a sideshow of the main X-Men story, if you don't care about the X-Men, why would you read it? It didn't attract fans from outside the X-Fandom.

Fans here talk about how they want her to have a good creative team to give her solo a chance. That's just a waste of a good creative team. You know what else you can do with that team? Give them a mainline team book. More characters to attract more sales. This is why I favor the team approach like what we got in X-Men Red. She can have a good creative team that develops lore for the entire X-Men line, while playing the primary role in the story.

We're not talking about a mini, we're talking about a multi-year ongoing book. Only the Wolverines, Gambit, and Cable had series that lasted longer than a year. Cable shouldn't count because he's more of a peripheral member rather than a mainline character. Most of his plot almost always came out of his own book. Gambit has his own shtick as a thief who still dabbles in his side career, so he got at least some appeal in reading what was obviously a side-book. That leaves the Wolverines, and their appeal is something else entirely: they are the bloody violent type that you won't see in the X-Men books outside of X-Force.

Now let's look at how Storm acts in her solos. The last time they tried something that was more than a mini was Storm's 2014 solo. It didn't stick because she was still tied to the X-Men overall story. Nothing happening in that series had ramifications on the X-Men line, so if fans wanted to save money and drop a book, that was a safe drop. At the same time since all of the plot was pretty much a sideshow of the main X-Men story, if you don't care about the X-Men, why would you read it? It didn't attract fans from outside the X-Fandom.

Fans here talk about how they want her to have a good creative team to give her solo a chance. That's just a waste of a good creative team. You know what else you can do with that team? Give them a mainline team book. More characters to attract more sales. This is why I favor the team approach like what we got in X-Men Red. She can have a good creative team that develops lore for the entire X-Men line, while playing the primary role in the story.
    I was referring to X-Force when i mentioned Cable. He was a longtime member of that while having his solo series. There was a bit of crossover between the books naturally when Nicieza was writing both and it included the same characters. He counts.

Unfortunately most Marvel books in general aren't lasting past 24 issues these days. We see big name characters getting reboots regularly now. But I agree with the posters that said they just need to keep giving Storm a chance even if that means a few relaunches like other characters get.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!