View Poll Results: Is Storm able to carry her own solo ongoing book for multiple years?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes? (How or why?)

50 48.54%
  • No (Why not?)

53 51.46%
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    There's a whole planet of untapped potential in Arrako. She could feud with Genesis or Tarn again or a new character. Red was very well received and a lot of the characters that came out of Arrako are extremely powerful and could present a challenge. I will say that her power level has gotten crazy high, so she needs some one that can match it or at least challenge her.
    Yeah, Arakko having various Omegas on the Great Ring, the various challengers who haven't actually made it to the Ring, and now Genesis and the two Horsemen that remain with her (War and Famine), there's absolutely no shortage of uber-powerful Arakki who could at least challenge her. We still don't know the extent or limitations of the powers of Isca or Lactuca, other than Genesis herself hesitated to answer Lactuca's offer to fight her personally (and even the Annihilation staff steered her away from accepting that challenge!). "Yeah, you're an Omega plant generator / controller. Fat lot of good that's going to do for you in deep space, beyond Pluto's orbit, where I just teleported you."

And, given the political situation, Ororo doesn't *want* to just fight everyone. She wants to be able to *reason* with them, which adds drama, since she can't just electrocute their brains or whatever to win every argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Most of the time they physically fight their foes though. So many of you fail to grasp that physical fighters are much easier to write than powers like Storms. Like someone said she has ridiculous powers but can get taken out by one lucky goon with a gun so she has to be a distance fighter, and distance fighters are boring. All Omega level mutants have the same problem in they are just too powerful so if they are written with the abilities they have been shown to have they are nearly unstoppable, and if they aren't then you have fans screaming they nerfed them.

The whole concept of Omega level honeslty should just be thrown in the trash and never mentioned again because it just lazy writers thinking they are doing something cool.
    There's actually a way to do both. Yes, Storm is traditionally a strike and pose fighter but she is trained in H2H combat. I can see a scenario where Storm uses her powers to create lighting fists when punching someone, sort of like Danny Rand's Iron Fist. Same thing with ice. That's a pretty cool visual.

All it takes is some creative use of her powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    There's actually a way to do both. Yes, Storm is traditionally a strike and pose fighter but she is trained in H2H combat. I can see a scenario where Storm uses her powers to create lighting fists when punching someone, sort of like Danny Rand's Iron Fist. Same thing with ice. That's a pretty cool visual.

All it takes is some creative use of her powers.
    But why? That's taking away Storm's iconic abilities just to weaken her and make her fights more fair. It's like Tony Stark deciding he doesn't want to use his armor and picking up a sword instead.

Astonishing Member

No, not multiple years, but she shouldn't have to. I think a lot of characters could benefit from solo stories told in limited runs -- 6 issues max -- every few years. I'm sure there is a stellar creative team that could keep the book going longer, but probably wouldn't be interested in being tied down to Storm for that long of a period. Not all great characters can support long term titles -- and that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    But why? That's taking away Storm's iconic abilities just to weaken her and make her fights more fair. It's like Tony Stark deciding he doesn't want to use his armor and picking up a sword instead.
    I don't think that's a good analogy. If Storm created a lightning fist, she would still be using herpowerset while fighting. Also, I believe that Iron Man uses his repulsor rays aannnd...punches people with his fists while in his armor.

What's the point of Storm knowing H2H if she doesn't use it from time to time. There maybe times when she's in close quarters where she will have to use H2H. Just ask Callisto, she messed around and got them hands.

And how is striking someone with a lightening bolt fist weakening Storm? Isn't it the same as being struck by lightening?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It's evident some don't fully know who Storm is.

She's not only about creating lightning storms and hurricane winds. Her hand to hand is also quite iconic and a notable part of her skill-set. As are the more quiet aspects of her weather manipulation powers. Why should writers ignore that? A good writer would not ignore that.

I always remember that scene in UXM 180, before she lost her powers, where Storm is casually walking through the Botanical Gardens and an older couple is being assaulted by some thugs and she basically beats the scat out of them without her powers only revealing herself to be a mutant afterwards by enshrouding herself in a "St. Elmo's fire" nimbus.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 04-08-2024 at 01:10 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

Not every editor and writer knows everything, and as time goes on it's impossible for most to remember it all.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Thank the Goddess for wiki, then.

Everyone knows she fought Callisto and stabbed her through the heart.
    Everyone knows she relied on her hand-to-hand when she lost her powers.
    Everyone knows she was Achmed El Gibar's best child thief in Cairo.
    Everyone knows she has a will power second to none.
    If an editor or a writer on the X-Men don't know these basic bits of information (not just on Storm but for all the main-liners) then they have no business editing or writing Storm or the X-Men.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Most of the time they physically fight their foes though. So many of you fail to grasp that physical fighters are much easier to write than powers like Storms. Like someone said she has ridiculous powers but can get taken out by one lucky goon with a gun so she has to be a distance fighter, and distance fighters are boring. All Omega level mutants have the same problem in they are just too powerful so if they are written with the abilities they have been shown to have they are nearly unstoppable, and if they aren't then you have fans screaming they nerfed them.

The whole concept of Omega level honeslty should just be thrown in the trash and never mentioned again because it just lazy writers thinking they are doing something cool.
    Thor and Hulk fighting physically does not make it any less challenging to write them well as they are still both enormously powerful and have to fight villains who are actually physically capable of fighting them, which aren't many. Actually, your statement should make it easier to write Storm as, from a physical standpoint, there are more characters capable of physically fighting her than either Thor or Hulk. So why is that more challenging? Also, we are not talking about normal people writing these stories, we are talking about professionals. Honestly, most Marvel characters are difficult to write because of their long back history and developments over time. However, isn't it still within professional expectation for writers to be able to write entertaining stories that do justice to the character? This does not seem like a justifiable reason to not take on a Storm solo where Storm can exist in her full power and potential. Again, if these writers can make Thor and Hulk work for years with entertaining stories, then they can do the same for Storm or any other Omega as well.

The question is. Would Storm fans accept to see her being a only a physical fighter / involved with not-uberpowered threats?

[filter off] (behind the spoil so you can ignore if you think you might get offended)
    spoilers:

I'm sorry to say it, but I steer away from Storm's thread because most of the times I dare to dip in to lurk the discussion is about her powers and feats and how majestic and powerful is. I'm willing to admit it it might be a wrong impression of mine, but I always get the feeling Storm's fans are interested in seeing her always at the top (Omega mutant, goddess, witch, H2H fighter - whatever), that they always advocate for her to reach a new power level that fans think Storm is entitled to reach (and they perceive it a slight to Ororo that the authors haven't written it so far). Again, my impression. But I swear, I get this feeling only in Storm's thread.

A solo works if the readers are willing to see the main character beaten and placed against all odds (to then fight back). But if you clamour in every page how much awesome is Ororo, and how much powerful is as a mutant, how much a powerful goddess she is, how much proficient in magic she is... how could you accept that such a perfect character can meed hurdles?
    It's telling that those who in this thread claim that Storm could/should carry a solo call for Thanos and such as her foes.
    end of spoilers
    [/filter on]

Said this. Under the right pen even God himself could carry a solo.
    I mean. *points to Hell's Angel/Dark Angel from Marvel UK - I've been exploring it in these days and that character was so, so overpowered it hurts to even read the comic*

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    If an editor or a writer on the X-Men don't know these basic bits of information (not just on Storm but for all the main-liners) then they have no business editing or writing Storm or the X-Men.
    Don't make me speak, please. Let's just say that we have evidence that at times authors miss even the blaring, founding characteristics/stories of main characters. (I can bring two examples only with Warren, once happened in Krakoa so there's no "it was the x0s there wasn't Wiki" excuse - I'm pretty sure to any other character this happened at least once)
    Last edited by Hakka84; 04-08-2024 at 10:37 PM.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Today I was thinking how amazing it would be to get Christopher Priest on the Storm ongoing, especially if they're going for the political intrigue angle. Or just if they want a superbly-written comicbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Sdawg View Post
    Thor and Hulk fighting physically does not make it any less challenging to write them well as they are still both enormously powerful and have to fight villains who are actually physically capable of fighting them, which aren't many. Actually, your statement should make it easier to write Storm as, from a physical standpoint, there are more characters capable of physically fighting her than either Thor or Hulk. So why is that more challenging? Also, we are not talking about normal people writing these stories, we are talking about professionals. Honestly, most Marvel characters are difficult to write because of their long back history and developments over time. However, isn't it still within professional expectation for writers to be able to write entertaining stories that do justice to the character? This does not seem like a justifiable reason to not take on a Storm solo where Storm can exist in her full power and potential. Again, if these writers can make Thor and Hulk work for years with entertaining stories, then they can do the same for Storm or any other Omega as well.
    When I saw the first, “she’s too powerful” comment my brain immediately went to “but Thor consistently holds down a solo series.” Oh except Storm doesn’t have super strength and hyper durability. You don’t need to downgrade her powers, you just have to have her face comparable opponents and allow her to get hurt from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Not every editor and writer knows everything, and as time goes on it's impossible for most to remember it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Thank the Goddess for wiki, then.

Everyone knows she fought Callisto and stabbed her through the heart.
    Everyone knows she relied on her hand-to-hand when she lost her powers.
    Everyone knows she was Achmed El Gibar's best child thief in Cairo.
    Everyone knows she has a will power second to none.
    Yeah, if a writer is interested in writing about a character, it would make sense for them to do some research about the character. It's not very hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sdawg View Post
    Lol, yeah in a medium where fantastical powers and settings are the norm, it shouldn't be impossible to use some imagination when telling stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    The question is. Would Storm fans accept to see her being a only a physical fighter / involved with not-uberpowered threats?

[filter off] (behind the spoil so you can ignore if you think you might get offended)
    spoilers:

I'm sorry to say it, but I steer away from Storm's thread because most of the times I dare to dip in to lurk the discussion is about her powers and feats and how majestic and powerful is. I'm willing to admit it it might be a wrong impression of mine, but I always get the feeling Storm's fans are interested in seeing her always at the top (Omega mutant, goddess, witch, H2H fighter - whatever), that they always advocate for her to reach a new power level that fans think Storm is entitled to reach (and they perceive it a slight to Ororo that the authors haven't written it so far). Again, my impression. But I swear, I get this feeling only in Storm's thread.

A solo works if the readers are willing to see the main character beaten and placed against all odds (to then fight back). But if you clamour in every page how much awesome is Ororo, and how much powerful is as a mutant, how much a powerful goddess she is, how much proficient in magic she is... how could you accept that such a perfect character can meed hurdles?
    It's telling that those who in this thread claim that Storm could/should carry a solo call for Thanos and such as her foes.
    end of spoilers
    [/filter on]

Said this. Under the right pen even God himself could carry a solo.
    I mean. *points to Hell's Angel/Dark Angel from Marvel UK - I've been exploring it in these days and that character was so, so overpowered it hurts to even read the comic*

Don't make me speak, please. Let's just say that we have evidence that at times authors miss even the blaring, founding characteristics/stories of main characters. (I can bring two examples only with Warren, once happened in Krakoa so there's no "it was the x0s there wasn't Wiki" excuse - I'm pretty sure to any other character this happened at least once)

This.

I love Storm but I stopped checking her appreciation thread becuase of all that Hakka84 mentioned.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 04-09-2024 at 06:39 AM.