View Poll Results: Is Storm able to carry her own solo ongoing book for multiple years?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes? (How or why?)

50 48.54%
  • No (Why not?)

53 51.46%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    Marvel would rather take their Chances on Spider-Woman, Captain Marvel and the Scarlet Witch than to give Storm a solo.

Because apparently those Women seem to sell more than Storm.
    It's kinda funny. Did anyone ever think that Wanda would ever get a solo? Not only that they are re-launching her solo.

So if Wanda can get a solo, no knock against her because she's one of my favorite Avengers, then it should be possible for Storm.

They are quite similar.

Immensely powerful.
    Always linked to one team.
    Pose and strike powers.
    A few minis here and there.

The difference is that they found a niche with Wanda and used that to open other doors for her. The used her(once) mutant power and turned more towards mysticism. This in turned put her into the orbit of Dr Strange(while still being an Avenger mind you) and gave her the opportunity to play in another sandbox.

Storm has the same opportunity. Why not do more cosmic stories(that's what they did in X-Men Red)? Why can't Storm be an Avenger? Sometimes I wonder if Storms status on the X-Men is holding her back. She's an omega, one of the big guns, they need her to take on the big threats.

Can't she be a big gun on an Avengers team? Wouldn't it be great if Thor decided that he needs to take some time away from the Avengers and recommends Storm take his place on the team? Not that she needed his endorsement but it would be a great endorsement.

If Storm is ever going to get a solo, they gotta start thinking outside the box a little.

I love Storm. Always have. However, I don’t think she can keep a solo book afloat. I think she’s at her best when leading a team. The Outback X-men and 281 Gold team are still my favorite eras..

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Can Marvel's arguably most popular female character carry a solo ongoing fir multiple years? Absolutely she can.

How can she do this? A few things:

1. A-list creative team. The writer, the art, and the story needs to be top-notch. If Marvel invests in this, as xmen red demonstrated, the book can do well.

2. An engaging and meaningful story. Her solo needs to read like the current immortal thor and it also should have relevance across the overall Marvel universe. It shouldn't be self-contained where the story can be mostly ignored.

3. Embrace her power. Ororo needs threats/rogue gallery that allow for her power to be fully explored. She's not only an omega level mutant, but also a sorceress and deity. Putting her in scenarios where this can fully showcased will not only allow for a wide range of storytelling but also give a reason to satisfy the feats crowd. This includes having her face some big bads of marvel: Thanos, Doom, etc., are villains that have the notoriety that will draw in readers that would be interested to see how Ororo tackles them.

4. Use past connections while creating new ones. Ororo has been an avenger, xmen, a member of the fantastic four, queen of wakanda, and voice of sol. There are an innumerable amount of interesting rogues that can be utilized in any solo.

5. Leave the mohawk in the 80s. No more nostalgia, no more powerless stories. Ororo was created by Dave Cockrum to be the most powerful female character ever. Show her as such.

If her book can capture at least all five of these elements a solo featuring her could thrive and do so successfully.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

My God yes, I rebuke that mohawk in the name of En Sabah Nur.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    It's kinda funny. Did anyone ever think that Wanda would ever get a solo? Not only that they are re-launching her solo.

So if Wanda can get a solo, no knock against her because she's one of my favorite Avengers, then it should be possible for Storm.

They are quite similar.

Immensely powerful.
    Always linked to one team.
    Pose and strike powers.
    A few minis here and there.

The difference is that they found a niche with Wanda and used that to open other doors for her. The used her(once) mutant power and turned more towards mysticism. This in turned put her into the orbit of Dr Strange(while still being an Avenger mind you) and gave her the opportunity to play in another sandbox.

Storm has the same opportunity. Why not do more cosmic stories(that's what they did in X-Men Red)? Why can't Storm be an Avenger? Sometimes I wonder if Storms status on the X-Men is holding her back. She's an omega, one of the big guns, they need her to take on the big threats.

Can't she be a big gun on an Avengers team? Wouldn't it be great if Thor decided that he needs to take some time away from the Avengers and recommends Storm take his place on the team? Not that she needed his endorsement but it would be a great endorsement.

If Storm is ever going to get a solo, they gotta start thinking outside the box a little.
    Everything your saying is Correct. You have hit the Nail on the Head my friend.

The problem is that Marvel refuses to promote Storm adequately. Storm was LUCKY that Al Ewing chose to write X-Men Red. Her last solo series by Ann Nocenti was TERRIBLE because NOBODY was interested in a story about her Punk Rock era in the 80's. -_-

Ooro has had 1 solo series that didn't even reach 12 issues. It was poorly marketed, nobody knew she had a book and on top of that a massive event, Secret Wars by Hickman, had started at the time.

Tom Brevoort then used this as an excuse to claim, "Storm doesn't sell." I'm puzzled why some think she lacks a supporting cast, connections, or a Rogues Gallery when she indeed has them. Storm is well-connected within the Marvel Universe and has been a member of all three major teams: the X-Men, the Avengers, and the Fantastic Four.

You are RIGHT Marvell2100 it's just Marvel doesn't want to put in the Work. And I'm sorry to say this but Marvel is not interested in pushing a Black Female Character. Shiit You'd think Monica Rambeau would have an Ongoing Solo, but......
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    My God yes, I rebuke that mohawk in the name of En Sabah Nur.
    And this is another reason. Why people do not want to read a solo Book with Storm.

People do NOT like the Mohawk. Her Current hairstyle for X-Men Red and RoM is absolutely Gorgeous.

But NOBODY likes Storm with her Bald cut Mohawk.

#StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

We'll see if Brevoort is indeed a man of his word and Storm will not be sporting that wretched mohawk and business suit attire that we saw in the Madame Wed preview.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

With a nice team of artist Yes.

XMEN ROGUECY sold well as a stealth solo Rogue book

Maybe with a title like X-MEN STORM that will give a base of at least 30 mil units

Mighty Member

Realistically speaking it will fail a few times but if Marvel is serious about it then they will give it the captain marvel treatment until it lands. Carol's books flopped a few times and were rebooted. Storm deserves more than that.

Fantastic Member

Storm can absolutely carry a solo and is one of the richest characters in all of comics. There is absolutely no reason she couldn't other than a lack of interest from Marvel. Storm has more potential, more fans, more impact than Captain Marvel has ever had but who is currently Marvel's leading lady that keeps get failed book after failed book and is now even struggling in the movie market? And this isn't even to blame Captain Marvel. Look at how non comittal they have been with her. They literally built her up to be the most powerful person in the MCU only to instantly pull her out of the most important story of the MCU by saying she has something else to do lol. It's moves like this why Storm and other female characters "can't" carry solos. It's primarily because the powers that be simply don't want them to. Not because there isn't interest or an audience.

Her solo can probably last for about 25 issues if it gets a hot writer/artist duo. But I don't think it's possible to make Storm a consistently successful solo character at this point.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Power fantasy is the core of superhero comics, so I don't think that's the main issue. Thor and Wonder Woman, for example, ARE gods and have always been presented as such, and have solo runs stretching back to the beginnings of comics. People LOVE feats of power. Look at how Cyke's 'superhero landing' and Storm's 'ancients sands' feats captivated audiences in '97. The entire internet was blown away.
    Thor and Wonder Woman have their own dedicated settings, Asgard and Themiscrya, respectively.

If Storm got to play around with the characters and setting of Arakko, and it became her 'setting' the way Atlantis is Namor's personal backdrop and Wakanda is Black Panthers fantasy greenscreen, I think they could tell some really compelling Storm stories, without the rest of the X-Men being around her 24/7 (save perhaps for a few select Earth-mutants operating on Arakko, like Sunspot).

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Thor and Wonder Woman have their own dedicated settings, Asgard and Themiscrya, respectively.

If Storm got to play around with the characters and setting of Arakko, and it became her 'setting' the way Atlantis is Namor's personal backdrop and Wakanda is Black Panthers fantasy greenscreen, I think they could tell some really compelling Storm stories, without the rest of the X-Men being around her 24/7 (save perhaps for a few select Earth-mutants operating on Arakko, like Sunspot).
    Well, Storm actually does have a dedicated setting. It's Kenya.

The Country where her African Princess and Magical roots come from.

It's often overlooked, but Storm is indeed a Princess, similar to how Diana is the Princess of Themyscira. Storm is a Princess of Kenya through her mother, N'Daré, who was a tribal Princess and High Priestess.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    Well, Storm actually does have a dedicated setting. It's Kenya.

The Country where her African Princess and Magical roots come from.

It's often overlooked, but Storm is indeed a Princess, similar to how Diana is the Princess of Themyscira. Storm is a Princess of Kenya through her mother, N'Daré, who was a tribal Princess and High Priestess.
    That's not gonna work. Themyscira is a fictional setting, Kenya isn't.

Amazing Member

Maybe that's the plan. Then say we tried and it didn't work out. Tough luck.