• Ultra Boy

24 54.55%
  • Mon-El

17 38.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Favourite Members of the Legion of Super-Heroes - Part 1

Who are your favorite members of the Legion of Superheroes? Cause it's a pretty big team, I'll split it in two.

With the exception of Mon-El, I kept Superman and the Rest of the House of El out.

Multiple Choice is authorized
    Last edited by Multiverse; 04-11-2024 at 12:32 PM.

Mon-El. Wildfire will be my choice in the next poll.

Astonishing Member

I like seeing Ultra Boy and Phantom Girl in the lead. To me, they were the Legion's power couple.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I like seeing Ultra Boy and Phantom Girl in the lead. To me, they were the Legion's power couple.
    FWIW, I liked them a lot more in the Reboot (and Jo in 5YL) than the original Levitz run.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    FWIW, I liked them a lot more in the Reboot (and Jo in 5YL) than the original Levitz run.
    I never understood Levitz's refusal to admit that he wrote Phantom Girl and Shadow Lass to be such utter bitches. Then again, I never understood his obsession with writing first Timber Wolf and then later Ultra Boy as utter morons.

Ultraboy. Hands down.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Lightning Lad by a mile for me.

Ultimate Member

Love that Ultra Boy, one of my half-dozen favorites on this grouping, is doing so well. I always loved his power, because it was basically Superboy/Mon-El, but he really had to work for it, since he had that limitation. Sure, he could be strong, but became vulnerable, or he could be as invulnerable, but lacked the speed or strength. He really had to be tactical in the moment, and couldn't reliably just wade into a fight and trust to his many powers to see him through.

(Not that I wasn't *also* a big fan of Mon-El! My tastes are also legion, and contain multitudes!)

Poor Invisible Lyle. He really didn't get to come into his own until the Reboot, Threeboot and / or Superboy's Legion continuities. He really gets to shine when he's out of Brainy's shadow, and gets to be team smart-guy, when Brainy isn't sucking up all the smart-guy oxygen and making every *other* smart Legionnaire seem like they might as well shut up and go sit in the corner wearing a dunce hat.

Also cool to see Phantom Girl doing so well. Wish that Lu, who also joined with Tinya as the fourth and fifth Legionnaires (and pretty much 'honorary Founders', in my book, because of that), had also done as well. Neat that Brainy is doing well, also. Not as much a fan of his characterization, post-Doxification, where he has turned into a bit of a smarmy jerk, because that's cool these days, for the smart guy to be a dick, but I always had a soft spot, as a kid who had little more than his smarts to fall back on, to see a super-hero whose superpower was 'really smart,' like how Superboy is 'really strong,' this guy is *that* smart! SUPER smart! Not just 'Bruce Wayne / Tony Stark human genius' level smart!
    Last edited by Sutekh; 04-15-2024 at 01:01 AM.

Astonishing Member

Lightning Lad, I loved the costume as a little kid, it is still one of my favorite to this day all time, it made Garth my Legionnaire, as a child i would cut up my comics, a crime I know to create "Paper People" so I could have my own adventures, even back then I knew I couldn't draw as well as Cockrum to tell the stories that way. An awesome Garth pose was highly coveted. I have been team Garth ever since. Read the older issues before my time, didn't care for the cape or bionic arm era but by then my love for Lightning Lad was solidified. Like Caj said Lightning Lad by a mile for me, I love other Legionnaires, Timber Wolf, Wildfire, especially Dream Girl but none like I love Garth Ranzz, father of Gray-em and Validus.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Lightning Lad, I loved the costume as a little kid, it is still one of my favorite to this day all time, it made Garth my Legionnaire, as a child i would cut up my comics, a crime I know to create "Paper People" so I could have my own adventures, even back then I knew I couldn't draw as well as Cockrum to tell the stories that way. An awesome Garth pose was highly coveted. I have been team Garth ever since. Read the older issues before my time, didn't care for the cape or bionic arm era but by then my love for Lightning Lad was solidified. Like Caj said Lightning Lad by a mile for me, I love other Legionnaires, Timber Wolf, Wildfire, especially Dream Girl but none like I love Garth Ranzz, father of Gray-em and Validus.
    Sadly, we didn't see a lot of Cockrum's Lightning Lad after the costume debuted, but I also loved it -- probably his very best Legion design. I've stated the Grell ran hot and mostly cold with me, but he did have a tremendous shot of Garth in the open story of 'Soljer's Private War' from Superboy & the Legion #210: https://www.comicbookrevolution.com/...lightning-lad/

Astonishing Member

off the top of my head I think my favorite Lightning Lad cover shot was I think a Perez when Grimbor the Chainsmen had the earth in a giant chain and Garth is on the cover blasting it, one of my all time favorite "paper people" along with Captain Marvel (Mar-vell) flying into a Sentry, I think it was Captain Marvel #47.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Lightning Lad, I loved the costume as a little kid, it is still one of my favorite to this day all time,
    In a genre with a bunch of heroes in not-very-flattering costumes, and heroines in overtly sexy costumes, it was funny to see the occasional Legion dude in a sexy costume, like 80's Garth, Rokk or Jan. (Rarely so much as Dreamy or Shady, but still!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    In a genre with a bunch of heroes in not-very-flattering costumes, and heroines in overtly sexy costumes, it was funny to see the occasional Legion dude in a sexy costume, like 80's Garth, Rokk or Jan. (Rarely so much as Dreamy or Shady, but still!)
    I think it was more a holdover from the 70's aesthetic where "sexy" meant one thing,(I mean, look at "Zardoz") before the 80's notion of hyper-masculinity took hold.

I voted for Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, Brainiac Five, Mon-El, and Shrinking Violet, whose characterization is often great; she's an underrated character.

To be honest though, I could have voted for every single character on the list.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    To be honest though, I could have voted for every single character on the list.
    Same. Every character I had moments that made them shine and me want to pick them! Chameleon Boy, the Founders, Brainy, Mon-El, etc. weren't among my picks, but I'd happily read a Legion book with the Legionnaires from these lists who *didn't* make my 'favorites' list, because almost all of them have great elements to them, and enough depth built into them that I could generate stories from them.

Just one example; Shady (what is the source of the darkness in Talokk VIII, are she and Grev feeding it when they absorb / negate light? Or are they sending energy to the depleting core of their old, old world, keeping it warm and tectonically 'alive?' Or is there some dark entity bound down there, and the light they negate is send to keep the chains strong?)

*Every* Legionnaire on these lists has stuff floating around in their extensive background or related to their homeworlds or their origin stories, that could serve as a springboard for a story arc. It's *amazing* how many years worth of 'untold' stories there are in the Legion setting!