Default What has Star Wars taught you?

Hello,

I only really watched the first saga so Episod IV, V and VI a long time ago
    and some lines stick in my mind to this day like the famous:

“No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.”
    and
    “Will he finish what he begins?”
    Star Wars was conceived as an “initiation quest”. So I suppose I am not the only one
    who has been taught one thing or two about life in general…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Star Wars has taught me to never run with your lightsaber turned on.

Ultimate Member

Star Wars taught me that losing a limb isn't an excuse to not achieve your goals.

Some stories should be done. Looking at the Skywalker "Saga" I really wish that story and films had been left alone when the Original Trilogy ended in 1983. No Prequels, No Sequels, and No Special Editions.

I think the side stuff like Andor, Rogue One, Mandalorian, even Solo and Kenobi aren't bad but as much as I like TFA I would sacrifice it to not have Episodes I, II, III, VIII, & IX and especially the Special Editions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Some stories should be done. Looking at the Skywalker "Saga" I really wish that story and films had been left alone when the Original Trilogy ended in 1983. No Prequels, No Sequels, and No Special Editions.

I think the side stuff like Andor, Rogue One, Mandalorian, even Solo and Kenobi aren't bad but as much as I like TFA I would sacrifice it to not have Episodes I, II, III, VIII, & IX and especially the Special Editions.
    i watched few images of the prequels and sequels on TV… and decided it wasn’t for me. I suppose that if you pay to see them, the situation is different.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Star Wars has taught me to never run with your lightsaber turned on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Star Wars taught me that losing a limb isn't an excuse to not achieve your goals.
    Luckily, both rare occurences…

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

That George Lucas works best when he has a handler.
    Assassinate Putin!

That one can walk the dark path because it's faster and easier, more seductive.

Also, maintain the merchandizing rights.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-26-2024 at 05:26 PM.

That my interests change pretty fast and lie outside the main path.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    That George Lucas works best when he has a handler.
    There's definitely a lot of evidence for that-If one looks at the deleted scenes from the OT a lot of them would've dragged the movie's pacing down considerably, such as the whole Biggs scenes which would've been put in-between the opening space battle scenes. Even though ESB and ROTJ were by different directors and writers they had their own share of 'fat' such as a Wampa subplot during the Hoth scenes and cuts to Moff Jerjorodd observing the battle (and hesitating to fire on Endor should things go south-presumabely so the Emperor could turn Luke by killing the strike team) in the Death Star during Endor that seemed a bit too similar to A New Hope's battle.

The prequels don't really have that so there's a lot of tedious stuff that could have been cut down. (Although there are also some deleted scenes, oddly enough, that could've helped a bit, such as Padme's scenes in AOTC and ROTS which fleshed out her backstory and her helping in the early forms of the Rebellion).

Marcia Lucas's editing really helped.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

#1- That it was possible to mix both absolute “auteur director” creativity and perfectionism with elite-level “toyetic” merchandising drive and a desire to “pander” to as large of an audience as possible - because George Lucas was an indisputably better businessman than the rest of Hollywood while still being a semi-controlling, stubborn, “my vision is the truth!” type of creator... and arguably in a complementary way. I don’t think anyone else in Hollywood has that, and the closest LFL’s maybe gotten to that without him is Abrams on TFA (mostly by copying Lucas), and Filoni on his own stuff (as Lucas's student)... and even then I’d argue neither of them has ever had the full mix of authority and imagination to launch a PT-scale merchandise blitz. I agree with the idea that Lucas as a storyteller works best with a “handler,” but weirdly his producer side probably works in reverse and needs to be the ambitious guy handling others.

#2 - The difference between a creative franchise using moral ambiguity, where you don’t know what the right thing is because there’s complications throwing hurdles in your way even in situations that clearly require action, like most of the franchise, and using moral ambivalence, where you don’t care to have any consistent concept of right and wrong, like in TLJ and *maybe* some of the Imperial-focused media. Lucas’s films, TFA, the D+ shows, and Rogue One all have penalty of moral ambiguity, complexity, and tension over what the “right” thing to do is... and TLJ just flat out wants to apply different moral standards to different characters, and frequently is apathetic or biased as a matter of course, which can be seen to a lesser extent whenever there’s another Imperial-focused story that tries to sidestep and avoid the usual deconstruction of “just following orders” that Star Wars does.

(Weirdly, an addendum to that last one is that TLJ is weirdly “optimistically cynical/amoral” compared to how many Star Wars stories are actually “pessimistically idealistic/moral” - TLJ wants you to hope and cheer for a Neo Nazi School Shooter to “get the girl” and feel like everything will work out okay regardless, while something like Andor wants you to face the cold hard truth of fascism and injustice even on non-heroic characters.)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Star Wars has taught me that blood is thicker than water.

Ultimate Member

Star Wars has taught me to beware those with breathing issues.

To shoot first.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Fathers and sons need to find ways to bond better.