Page 151 of 631 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161201251 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 9460

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    But I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion on Byrne's run. I just happen to like it.
    Well! That shit's not allowed. :P
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    And, I forgot in my last post to admit to not having read all of Byrne's Namor. I received other Namor reads shortly after acquiring Byrne's run, that I was far more interested in.
    While it's good, it's not my fave portrayal of Namor.
    His 60s solo series is where it's at.
    And Tales to Astonish.

Those are some of my fave Namor reads.
    I agree. Bryne's Namor wasn't as fiery. Plus the whole chemical imbalance / clone / sterility thing, I really didn't like. And the trial. And then he started writing about Iron Fist. Don't get me wrong, I like Iron Fist, but that's not why I'm buying a Namor book.

But the art was pretty. And the Invaders story was cool. And I even liked the Phoebe Mars stuff.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    A CEO runs a company, and the purpose of a company is to make money. A rare CEO can have those concerns, but they are tertiary to making money.

I said true kings, because of course, there are bad kings. But the purpose of a king is the people, not making money.
    And a king takes care of his people by making money. Not all kings share the wealth with their people. Also, making a profit does not equal bad and there are good and bad for both. But let's not get bogged down with semantics. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Well! That shit's not allowed. :P
    It's all good.

I agree. Bryne's Namor wasn't as fiery. Plus the whole chemical imbalance / clone / sterility thing, I really didn't like. And the trial. And then he started writing about Iron Fist. Don't get me wrong, I like Iron Fist, but that's not why I'm buying a Namor book.

But the art was pretty. And the Invaders story was cool. And I even liked the Phoebe Mars stuff.
    I'm probably alone in this, but his drawn Namor is not my favorite.
    I mean, don't get me wrong, Byrne is one of my favorite artists, and his Alpha Flight is my favorite superhero team, but I've seen better drawn Namors before.

pleasedon'tkillme.

I don't think that we aren't that far apart. We both want to see Namor in a role befitting his status. I just really like what Byrne did with him. It was a fresh take and opened many avenues and opportunities for Namor. And he certainly had a great take on his characterization imo.

But I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion on Byrne's run. I just happen to like it.
    I think there are lots of people who liked Byrne's run, in part, because it's the most likeable Namor, short of Everett's Atlas book. He's much more of a standard superhero in Byrne's book. The corporate CEO was different for Namor, but it did follow Tony Stark and Daniel Rand, as well as the original, Bruce Wayne. And as I said elsewhere, it was very much of the 90s era when corporations seemed the future and were everywhere.

But yes, I agree with the bolded, even if we disagree with what is the exact status.

^^^
    iloveu.

You seem pretty special, yourself. ; )
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I think there are lots of people who liked Byrne's run, in part, because it's the most likeable Namor, short of Everett's Atlas book. He's much more of a standard superhero in Byrne's book. The corporate CEO was different for Namor, but it did follow Tony Stark and Daniel Rand, as well as the original, Bruce Wayne. And as I said elsewhere, it was very much of the 90s era when corporations seemed the future and were everywhere.

But yes, I agree with the bolded, even if we disagree with what is the exact status.
    I don't see why Namor couldn't be both CEO and King. Atlantis and Oracle. A hand in both worlds

I don't see why Namor couldn't be both CEO and King. Atlantis and Oracle. A hand in both worlds
    For a while, he was both, wasn't he? Back when he was funding Heroes For Hire. Plus a movie mogul. I mean, he didn't sell SM Studios, did he? But he would have been a very hands off CEO, and eventually voted off / fired, I would think. CoB, however, he could probably do, easily.

For a while, he was both, wasn't he? Back when he was funding Heroes For Hire. Plus a movie mogul. I mean, he didn't sell SM Studios, did he? But he would have been a very hands off CEO, and eventually voted off / fired, I would think. CoB, however, he could probably do, easily.
    Namor is someone who should have his hands in a lot of things both above and below the surface.

Quick edit: Namor was even removed as ruler of Atlantis so it's not something that would be unprecedented for him.
    Last edited by Marvell2100; 02-10-2015 at 04:11 PM.

A CEO runs a company, and the purpose of a company is to make money. A rare CEO can have those concerns, but they are tertiary to making money.

I said true kings, because of course, there are bad kings. But the purpose of a king is the people, not making money.
    I am too bogged down in this term's first wave of exams to contribute anything substantive right now, so that being the case I appreciate you speaking my thoughts on this for me Reversico.

Quick addendum: I've been in touch with Rhegged on and off since her (unjust) banishment and I hope she comes back to lead us some day, but for now I think Reversico and dzub are doing a fine job of keeping the party going when the rest of us start slacking.
    Last edited by Chief Jon; 02-10-2015 at 04:12 PM.
    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

I'm probably alone in this, but his drawn Namor is not my favorite.
    I mean, don't get me wrong, Byrne is one of my favorite artists, and his Alpha Flight is my favorite superhero team, but I've seen better drawn Namors before.

pleasedon'tkillme.
    LOL!

It's okay. If you are a fan of Tales to Astonish and the Silver Age Sub-Mariner, that would mean your taste probably leans toward the sheer grace and beauty of John Buscema's Namor, the shadowy dynamic of Gene Colan's Namor, and the lithe and handsomeness of Marie Severin's Namor. None of which really apply to Byrne's Namor, who was more wirey and strong jawed. Byrned actually excelled more at creating the world around Namor and some interesting panel work, rather than the character himself.

You seem pretty special, yourself. ; )
    HAHAHA!!! I love my Namor peoples.

LOL!

It's okay. If you are a fan of Tales to Astonish and the Silver Age Sub-Mariner, that would mean your taste probably leans toward the sheer grace and beauty of John Buscema's Namor, the shadowy dynamic of Gene Colan's Namor, and the lithe and handsomeness of Marie Severin's Namor. None of which really apply to Byrne's Namor, who was more wirey and strong jawed. Byrned actually excelled more at creating the world around Namor and some interesting panel work, rather than the character himself.
    It's, like...it's like you REALLY KNOW ME.

Seriously, though, you are spot-on in your guesses.

And a king takes care of his people by making money. Not all kings share the wealth with their people. Also, making a profit does not equal bad and there are good and bad for both. But let's not get bogged down with semantics. You have your opinion and I have mine.
    No. Generally speaking, kings do not work for money. King's raise money from the people via taxes to pay for things for the people, like armies, navies, roads, pageantries, diplomacy, government, etc. Ideally, the king's treasury is actually the people's treasury -- something bad kings forget. A king keeps the peace and good relations with other countries to establish an environment where people can make money.

I don't think there's anything wrong with making a profit. My retirement is counting on it. : ) I think you're equating CEO with King, because they are both leaders. But being a leader, is still not the same as being a king.

Namor is someone who should have his hands in a lot of things both above and below the surface.

Quick edit: Namor was even removed as ruler of Atlantis so it's not something that would be unprecedented for him.
    I agree. I think it's fundamentally part of Namor to be torn between the surface world and Atlantis.

It's interesting to think of Namor's abdication and his loss of his throne now, in terms of his last revealed magical status. As in, I don't think it would actually work. How would Atlanteans access magic?

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    I am too bogged down in this term's first wave of exams to contribute anything substantive right now, so that being the case I appreciate you speaking my thoughts on this for me Reversico.
    My mind reading talents are mighty! LOL!

Good luck with the tests!

It's, like...it's like you REALLY KNOW ME.

Seriously, though, you are spot-on in your guesses.
    Well, I really know what I like about Tales to Astonish and Silver Age Sub-Mariner. And there are times I've thought Byrne's Namor was a bit too exaggerated, and certainly not as pretty as ToA and SM. Speaking of ... this is out tomorrow!!! I'm going to order mine tonite from IST which has it half off!

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marv...L-06/SEP140920

I'm looking forward to some Gene Colan Namor and Doom greatness! As well as the heartbreaking search for Captain McKenzie.