Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Marvel Story Would You Recommend to Someone Who Never Read Comics?

As the title says, what book/storyline would you recommend for someone who never read any comics in their life, who has zero knowledge and little intrest in getting into comics. As such, it has to be top notch writing and top notch art, something open and shut, something that requires no previous knowledge and that is not a hook into something else, that requires no further reading. A complete story. Something that, for the lack of a better expression, we can call "the complete experiance!"

To get the ball Started, my suggestions would be:

Daredevil: Born Again! - As I said, everything that you need to know is in that story. Who Daredevil is, who Karen Page is, who the Kingpin is, why he hates Matt so much. Miller at the top of his game, and Mazzucchelli killing on art.

Marvels - HecK, I guess this book was made for this. You skim through the MU, but the meat of the story is all there. Busiek and Ross. No more need be said.

ClanDestine - Yeah, that's right. ClanDestine is a window into the world of Marvel Super-Heroes teams where everything you need to know is right there. And, due to it being canceled, Alan Davis first 8 issues read as one exciting open and shut tale.

So, suggestions?

Peace

Ultimates by Millar. It sets up the characters and no backstory to worry about as it's in alternate Earth.

Any background on the person at all?

Like... are they 12 or 30? Do they like violence or more talky talk?

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    As the title says, what book/storyline would you recommend for someone who never read any comics in their life, who has zero knowledge and little intrest in getting into comics. As such, it has to be top notch writing and top notch art, something open and shut, something that requires no previous knowledge and that is not a hook into something else, that requires no further reading. A complete story. Something that, for the lack of a better expression, we can call "the complete experiance!"

To get the ball Started, my suggestions would be:

Daredevil: Born Again! - As I said, everything that you need to know is in that story. Who Daredevil is, who Karen Page is, who the Kingpin is, why he hates Matt so much. Miller at the top of his game, and Mazzucchelli killing on art.

Marvels - HecK, I guess this book was made for this. You skim through the MU, but the meat of the story is all there. Busiek and Ross. No more need be said.

ClanDestine - Yeah, that's right. ClanDestine is a window into the world of Marvel Super-Heroes teams where everything you need to know is right there. And, due to it being canceled, Alan Davis first 8 issues read as one exciting open and shut tale.

So, suggestions?

Peace
    I'd definitely go with Born Again. One of the best pieces of literature. I'd also recommend
    X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills
    Annihilation
    Avengers: The Korvac Saga
    Avengers: Ultron Unlimited
    The original Wolverine mini
    Fantastic Four: The Trial of Reed Richards
    Thor: The Surtur Saga
    Iron Man: Armor Wars
    Iron Man: Demon In a Bottle
    X-Men: Dark Phoenix
    X-Men: Age of Apocalypse
    Avengers Forever
    Jim Starlin's Warlock and Captain Marvel

More to come...

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Any background on the person at all?

Like... are they 12 or 30? Do they like violence or more talky talk?
    Irrelevant. Make your recommendations to whatever age target you may find likes it. The important thing is that you are not trying to hook anyone. You just want to present someone with a great open and shut story/book.

Peace

Peter David's "Leah" shortstory. It's only like, 4 pages, and I think it really captures how much superheroes can mean to a person, and why getting emotionally invested in comics is worth it.
    On ye olde CBR

BANNED

Supreme Power is a nice adult story

Greg Pak's Planet Hulk

The God Butcher arc in Thor: God of Thunder.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Born Again, although I do think the first volume of The Ultimates is a good choice, too.

Hawkeye seems to be the current Marvel comic that appeals to people who don't normally read comics. I think the design sense and storytelling really speak to people with an artisitic mindset.

Mark Millar's Marvel Knights Spider Man run was the first book my girlfriend ever read and she loved it and wanted to continue reading comics. So if it can a girl excited about reading comics, I'd throw it on the recommendation block.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    Mark Millar's Marvel Knights Spider Man run was the first book my girlfriend ever read and she loved it and wanted to continue reading comics. So if it can a girl excited about reading comics, I'd throw it on the recommendation block.
    That's always a plus.

Firm Militant Judgement.. Moose100's Avatar

Im thinking right now but Immortal Iron Fist by Fraction.

The Marvels Project, by Brubaker. It's a solid story that lays down the fundamentals of the Marvel Universe.

SHIELD, by Hickman has also been a hit with several friends who were none too keen on comics.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Brubaker Cap is another one I'd highly recommend especially with how awesome the Winter Soldier movie is.