Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    And that is what is wrong with cinema today. Nothing can be a stand alone movie but has to connect with the other films in a cinematic universe.

Even John Campea is hoping to not see an infinity stone in BP and that the film should stand on it's own. Maybe an easter egg but that's about it.

It's why BVS failed on a critical level and was one AOU flaws.
    I don't see it as a big problem for Marvel. The MCU movies share the same universe but each movie is a stand alone, even within the trilogy.

They all have a beginning, middle and end. There maybe a tease at the end but it's not like it's a cliffhanger.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I don't see it as a big problem for Marvel. The MCU movies share the same universe but each movie is a stand alone, even within the trilogy.

They all have a beginning, middle and end. There maybe a tease at the end but it's not like it's a cliffhanger.
    I think the only real exception to that was Civil War. But most of the other movies largely link with the end credits. You pretty much never have to watch any of the previous movies to watch a marvel movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post
    I gots mine!

This ish is Legendary!!!! lol New king of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Problem for who? Marvel or China?

Who looks bad if this film does bad in China after all the other did well?

It would only confirm what we all KNOW.

If it doesn't do good there but well everywhere else-it shows China has the issue with blacks.

It might end up encouraging more studios to pass over that market.

The article mentions a slew of American movies featuring black actors that did not get green lit by Chinese film authorities because they thought they would not fare well. However they did greenlight Black Panther (granted on the strength of Marvel branding but an all black cast none the less). So it's a sign that they feel the film will do fine.

The article mentions films like Hidden Figures, Get Out etc not being released there. However, lets be honest, if you are not from America and are not privy to the subtleties of race relations I can completely understand, especially how insular they are compared to America.

They article also mentioned Karate Kid bombing, but thats because the film was crap lol.

I don't think there is a color issue although I confess my ignorance on this issue. With that being said, if this is true, why is the NBA so massive over there? It's like the biggest market outside of America, and Kobe Bryant is basically a God over there, ditto for players like Lebron. NBA stars are mobbed over there. I bring this up because it can be can considered an entertainment medium disproportionately populated by black people.

I thin the film will do fine over there.
    Last edited by Chessboxer; 01-17-2018 at 10:00 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think the only real exception to that was Civil War. But most of the other movies largely link with the end credits. You pretty much never have to watch any of the previous movies to watch a marvel movie.

Which is what he said as the end credits as a whole can be skipped and you’d be none the wiser and satisfied with a complete movie

BANNED

Its a funny world we live in where movies like the Transformers and xXx Return of Xander cage will be embraced but a superhero movie with a primarily black cast may be looked down upon.

At least the Japanese and South Koreans are cool with it.

XXX 3 had Donnie Yen who is basically in the upper tier of Asian actors in China, he is to China what Denzel is to Black People despite Donnie having stopped aging over four decades ago )

Incredible Member

I think the biggest hurdle maybe that it comes out around the same time as Chinese New Year, the article mentions Kung Fu Panda not doing well and it came out around the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    XXX 3 had Donnie Yen who is basically in the upper tier of Asian actors in China, he is to China what Denzel is to Black People despite Donnie having stopped aging over four decades ago )
    Donnie Yen was also in Rogue One and that didn't help.

Which is what he said as the end credits as a whole can be skipped and you’d be none the wiser and satisfied with a complete movie
    Yeah, I was agreeing with him. Though as I said, I think Civil War is sort of the exception there. That was less a stand alone and more a culmination of a lot of things they were building towards. And I suspect Infinity War will likewise be less stand alone and more something they were building towards.

BP will be Fine, it will likely do well in China because marvel brand atleast, and if they don't watch it then they are missing out. It will still smash box offices everywhere else

BANNED

Donnie Yen was also in Rogue One and that didn't help.

He was already in two other movies made by Chinese Hollywood at that time, why see him in a setting where he’s 4th billing where he’s the main in to others in the native language

BANNED

Yeah, I was agreeing with him. Though as I said, I think Civil War is sort of the exception there. That was less a stand alone and more a culmination of a lot of things they were building towards. And I suspect Infinity War will likewise be less stand alone and more something they were building towards.

It was a stand alone as well as it is a direct sequel to the previous Cap movies as the main narrative was Cap & Buckey’s friendship with everything else just being fan service

It was a stand alone as well as it is a direct sequel to the previous Cap movies as the main narrative was Cap & Buckey’s friendship with everything else just being fan service
    I think calling Civil War a stand alone is a bit of a stretch. It was arguably not only a sequel to Captain America, Avengers 2 and Iron Man but a sequel to Spider-Man and Black Panther. That movie moreso than even Avengers 2 really set up phase 3.

BANNED

I think calling Civil War a stand alone is a bit of a stretch. It was arguably not only a sequel to Captain America, Avengers 2 and Iron Man but a sequel to Spider-Man and Black Panther. That movie moreso than even Avengers 2 really set up phase 3.

Calling it a sequel to Avengers, Spider-Man, Iron Man And Black Panther is Reed Richards level of stretching