Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I sincerely hope that Storm gets better treatment. As one of only a handful of Black female superheroes from the big two, it's important that she be handled well, same for Black male characters and all minorities.

And it goes without saying that representation is needed in creative and editorial.

If Coates' answer is to show T'Challa's ability to prep for any situation then he failed because he the tech wasn't used until after the attack. If you have tech that protects you from psionic attack, why wasn't it on before BP and the HZ went to search for the villagers? If the tech is standard gear then it should have been on. If it isn't standard gear then why did T'Challa and the HZ have it with them if they weren't expecting some sort of psychic attack? If we're being objective here it doesn't make sense.
    Coates needs faux stakes to make his story work. These creature's are utter Cannon fodder, yet they re shown to hive Wakanda issues. Wakanda who fought off arguably the strongest army in the mu, is struggling against cannon fodder, while bringing tech that wasn't already prepared and ready in case of a psychic attack?
    And people say THIS is Tchallas two steps ahead?? Having his men get killed before they Activate Tech that would of saved their lives?? Excuse me

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Coates needs faux stakes to make his story work. These creature's are utter Cannon fodder, yet they re shown to hive Wakanda issues. Wakanda who fought off arguably the strongest army in the mu, is struggling against cannon fodder, while bringing tech that wasn't already prepared and ready in case of a psychic attack?
    And people say THIS is Tchallas two steps ahead?? Having his men get killed before they Activate Tech that would of saved their lives?? Excuse me

I'd consider the amti-telepathy tech a legit feat, considering no previous writer established they had it. Would have come in handy against the Shadow King for example, but no one introduced it until Coates.

We just griping bro cause there aint no wham! bap! boom! in the book.

Coates' story is just too deep for us.
    Exactly, it's too deep, we are used to the typical comic stereotypes, hero looking strong in the face of villains, going against the villain and beating them with plenty of political intrigue mix in. We are minds are too shallow to grasp the deep and intricacies of tree house rape camps,
    misogyny, Black men being shown as inept, rapists, or uncaring. Black women being shown as victims and needing to rally together to fight misogyny in a country that treats their women s equals and a titles Character who is a damn fool and gets tricked by every redshirt that he encounters. Yeah a much better"stereotype" to through into a black superheroes mythos...

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post

We'll assume that this is some new tech since it wasn't around when Faustus attacked. So let's say T'Challa developed the tech and for no apparent decided to bring it with him but not have it on. Why?

Any villain with psychic abilities isn't going to announce that they re going to attack you. They aren't shouting, "Hey, I've got psychic powers so you better be ready!"

So it would make sense that if you have this tech that you would have it turned on before going into a fight. This is a logical tactical decision to make.

Except BP doesn't make that decision. Why?

Answer: Poor execution on the part of the writer.

We'll assume that this is some new tech since it wasn't around when Faustus attacked. So let's say T'Challa developed the tech and for no apparent decided to bring it with him but not have it on. Why?

Any villain with psychic abilities isn't going to announce that they re going to attack you. They aren't shouting, "Hey, I've got psychic powers so you better be ready!"

So it would make sense that if you have this tech that you would have it turned on before going into a fight. This is a logical tactical decision to make.

It probably wouldn't have helped against Faustus since he's not actually a telepath. His power is more tech assisted hypnosis. But clearly the tech is relatively new since he didn't have it at the start of Coates run when he confronted Zenzi the first time.

I agree that a villain won't necessarily announce they are psychic. But I imagine they would have had it on earlier if they knew this was a psychic opponent.

Ultimate Member

It could have a limited battery life, or energy signature that marks them in the field. This being comics there are a million reasons why not to have it on 24/7.

Not to defend Coates, mind but there will always have to be a balance between logical preparation and leaving a character vulnerable enough to be menaced by bad guys

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    It could have a limited battery life, or energy signature that marks them in the field. This being comics there are a million reasons why not to have it on 24/7.

Not to defend Coates, mind but there will always have to be a balance between logical preparation and leaving a character vulnerable enough to be menaced by bad guys
    Have it on right before you go into battle then. It does no good to turn it on after a psychic attack.

But as you say, it's comics and pis is often used to move a story along.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It probably wouldn't have helped against Faustus since he's not actually a telepath. His power is more tech assisted hypnosis. But clearly the tech is relatively new since he didn't have it at the start of Coates run when he confronted Zenzi the first time.

I agree that a villain won't necessarily announce they are psychic. But I imagine they would have had it on earlier if they knew this was a psychic opponent.
    Then why bring the tech in the first place if it isn't standard gear.

Then why bring the tech in the first place if it isn't standard gear.
    It might be standard gear now. It seems relatively new, given they didn't have it at the start of Coates run.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    You make a very valid point but here's the thing.

Anyone looking to have Ororo as a positive, permanent part of the BP mythos is either a glutton for punishment or exceedingly naive.

As long as the X-Office and writers affiliated with said office, are allowed to troll the BP mythos at will, Ororo will always be a convenient avenue for continued shade directed towards T'Challa.

Is this what you genuinely want for the BP mythos moving forward?
    I'm not going to stop wanting Storm and Black Panther back together just because the X-Office might revert to past behavior. I'm not going to allow white men in the X-Office control how I feel about a romantic relationship between a fictional black man and a fictional black woman. If/when the X-Office reverts to its old tricks, I will be one of the first ones to call out the X-Office TO the X-Office. For me, it's as simple as that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    I was kinda with them on the first page. Second page, I was cringing, that came with a very uncomfortable lol. I knew they missed the point just by talking to you guys. By the end I was rolling my eyes so fuckin hard. They tried that!

I get the feeling that writer even with comics that get "political" is wants it spelled out and hand holding

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I'm not going to stop wanting Storm and Black Panther back together just because the X-Office might revert to past behavior. I'm not going to allow white men in the X-Office control how I feel about a romantic relationship between a fictional black man and a fictional black woman. If/when the X-Office reverts to its old tricks, I will be one of the first ones to call out the X-Office TO the X-Office. For me, it's as simple as that.
    Mr. MoneySpider, is it? Can we bow our heads together and pray? For we, all true believers, must rejoice because The All-Goddess, Weather Witch, Ororo Komo Wakandas, Windrider, The Walker of Clouds, La Reine Storm, The Goddess who Preserves the Balance of all Natural Things, Ororo Iqadi T'Challa, The Queen of Prophecy, Hadari Yao, The Bright Lady, The Rightful Queen of Wakanda has returned to the throne! All-Goddes be praised!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    say this again!!! this is what I'm talking about!!

Last edited by butterflykyss; 09-03-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

Except if this was Tchalla written on Character, they would of had it already in place and ready. You know what this would compare to?

A military unit is moving into position to attack a compound, this unit has new improved bullet proof vest designed to stop armor piecing rounds. This team gets ambushed, and while under attack, the captain gives the order for them to put on their bullet proof vest... Completely defeated the prepared planning of the best because it already Should of been ready to go. That's how stupid this tech was poorly used. They were ambushed and people were killed because they didn't already have it activated, and people want to say this is Tchalla 2 steps ahead?? I guess after all This time Coates has been on BP people have forgotten what prep Tchalla actually looks like.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    when will there be some black people in charge of the x-men editorial offices? Have there "ever" been?
    For the franchise's rep as being all about the minority allegories, how often have people of color been among the editorial ranks? (Yes, I'm aware that a white woman, Bobbie Chase, was involved for many years-- I'd just as soon sidestep my thoughts about the white women/minority angle..)
    The usage of that minority "allegory" is good for marketing. The writers of the X Men have never portrayed the people they claim to represent nor will they ever. The story of X Men is somewhat of a whitewash of POC struggles. When top members are Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Professor X and Rogue, who all happen to be white it shows who really has the spotlight.

There's a reason in the films Storm is always a second supporting character whose just "there". Jubilee being a token in Apacolypse. In the New Muatants movie they whitewashed Sunspot and Cecilia Reyes. In the upcoming The Gifted tv series they, again, put the struggle of POC onto a white family.

When it comes to the writers you can tell they are completely out of touch at what really goes on. Chris Claremont is even guilty of it, by writing Kitty Pryde using the n word multiple times. Or the time Rick Remender had Havok tell people don't call him the M-Word. If someone like Beast or Nightcrawler said this I may have let it slide because they have an appearance that differentiates from society. People develop prejudice based on what they see and leads them to fear or hate it. Havok, Kitty Pryde and the majority of the white X Men can easily walk around without people assuming they're different but Beast and Nightcrawler have to do it everyday and face discrimination and that's what POC go through.

As far as having a black writers or editors, I think Marvel is trying to keep it down to the allegory or they just fear a black creator bringing in more black X Men. Most of the black X Men have been killed (Synch), disrespected (Bishop) or lightened (Monet & Sunspot). I think Storm is portrayed depending on whose writing her, same with Monet. Marc Guggenheim (X Men Gold) who wrote Storm kissing Gambit has a habit of putting black women with white men for the sake of it (Vixen in Legends). But back to black writers, as I said, I think Marvel fears these books turning into a black power or empowerment books and having that represented by the X Men would be way too much for them. I remember reading an article involving an interview with Coates and he said Marvel doesn't want a Wakanda vs the World story and wants it grounded in Africa. That's code saying they don't want a story about Black Panther taking on white people, white America, white Europe or white Supremacy. Marvel is afraid to let their black heroes loose from handling struggles within just their community, probably because Hudlin wanted that World War Wakanda, maybe.

As far as everything when it comes to Black Panther and the X Men, I think a choice is eventually going to have be made on whether or not Storm is an X Men or Queen. The X Writers got an obvious beef with BP and will insult him every chance they get. If X writers want to not use Storm but get upset when someone does they obviously don't care for the character. When they put Storm with Wolverine only two months after the annulment that was very insulting especially since BP hasn't had love interest since and they wrote BP saying "not him, which was insulting & pathetic. When they show Storm constantly going around sleeping with multiple different men especially, non black men, it kinda degrades her as being a character who is high standard and Queen of a black nation. When it comes down to it these writers need to ask would she face more struggle as a mutant or a black woman and that should decide where she goes.
    Last edited by Mr HardKnocks; 09-04-2017 at 02:57 AM.