Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Why wouldnt spiderman do well? its his comic and only two panels of combat. With spiders cense its a logical fight progression.

I'm more impressed it was a Hudlin/Priest/Liss Tchalla. lol
    I agree with this. Because in most cases T'Challa whoops up on Spidey due to him being faster then him, or being able to get past the Spidey sense

Rise of the Black Panther #2 from Paul Renaud's page.

Who is the guy with braids in that last panel?
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Malice was awesome. I'm always surprised she never really appeared again after McGregor's run.
    I thought all of McGregor's villains were cool. I've spent years on this thread tossing around ideas to retool them and reintroduce them as credible threats.

If anyone in this thread or on HEF is ever lucky enough to write BP let me know, and I'll sign over every Baron Macabre idea I've had (because I'm probably not going to pursue a comics career) in exchange for being named as one of his vicitms.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Who is the guy with braids in that last panel?
    I would guess either Killmonger or Cardiac.

Who is the Black Panther? from the 2005 Marvel Knights series is getting a reprint in the UK's Mighty World of Marvel magazine.
    http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/20...to-mighty.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    Rise of the Black Panther #2 from Paul Renaud's page.

Curious. Unless this is some broadcast televised event, how does Nick Fury have surveillance in Wakanda?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Curious. Unless this is some broadcast televised event, how does Nick Fury have surveillance in Wakanda?
    Looks like a broascast. Story is about WK reveling itself to the world. But I like we got a little Hudlin in there with Luke learning about him in prison.

I'm going to throw a little shade on Reed and say that is Susan in that portrait behind doom. lol

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    That's my guess, that T'Chaka/T'Challa is making a political speech and it's on television or whatever. I mean Luke Cage is watching the same broadcast that Fury, Doom, etc are seeing and he looks like he's in jail pre-incident.

Invincible Member

Looks like a broascast. Story is about WK reveling itself to the world. But I like we got a little Hudlin in there with Luke learning about him in prison.

I'm going to throw a little shade on Reed and say that is Susan in that portrait behind doom. lol
    It's probably Doom's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    That's my guess, that T'Chaka/T'Challa is making a political speech and it's on television or whatever. I mean Luke Cage is watching the same broadcast that Fury, Doom, etc are seeing and he looks like he's in jail pre-incident.
    I thought the revolution would not be televised lol

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Day Three:

Jungle Action #8 - Malice By Crimson Moonlight!

Just starting off, the cover is not a promising one. Granted, it doesn't mean it's bad, but it certainly means whoever made the cover didn't understand the isuse. When Marvel calls an issue "offbeat," it's usually not a good thing. It also promises an all-new origin of the Black Panther (to my knowledge, this never happens). However, my fears are somewhat asuaged by the first three pages. There's a neat little splash page of the Black Panther surrounded by enemies basically telling them to get this over with followed by a two page splash that seems to just be the title of the issue, but with the letters of the title essentially forming the panels where some of the action takes place. It's easy to skip over, but it's a really cool innovative way to handle comics and credit to Rich Buckler for his work. The next two pages continue the innovation, with the top half of the page with T'Challa fighting his foes while the bottom half shows the woman in the double splash continue her actions, sneaking into the Wakandan palice. They also either fill the panel borders all in black or go full bleed as a way to completely separate the two scenes.

It turns out that T'Challa's fight is him training in preparation of receiving the heart-shaped herb. While he's just as effective as ever, there's a sense that he's not fully there. While, in the past, he would have controlled his anger, W'Kabi and Mendinao comment that it's seething over. It's anger at Killmonger, but they wonder if his time with the outsiders caused him to lose his edge. Later, Monica Lynne sees T'Challa apparently unconscious during the religious ceremony to administer the herb and freaks out. T'Challa cancels the ceremony. I have to say, the drama of the influences of outsiders of T'Challa and Wakanda and Monica as a symbol of that is very interesting. But Monica is not sympathetic at all.

The woman in the palace is Malice. She works for Killmonger and is freeing Venomm after he was captured last issue. She threatens Zatama at spearpoint and he gives up the information. She then strikes him with her spear (presumably killing him, although he might be unconscious). She rounds the corner and sees Taku talking to Venomm. My understanding is McGregor intended this friendship that develops between them to be more than just a friendship. Regardless, Taku isn't judgmental to Venomm's disfigured face and there is a nice moment of understanding between them. Venomm his backstory, how he was disfigured, and how he was rescued by N'Jadaka (Killmonger) who promises, one day, to take him to a place beyond his imagination. They will take it by force and make it theirs. I love his description of Wakanda, which makes it a very special place, but also the pathos between the two characters that adds to the depth of the villain's backstory. Even Killmonger, who seems to just want power, comes off as a more 3D character.

The two stories intersect as T'Challa walks back to the palice and dodges a spear thrown by Malice that cuts a fucking marble column in half! Malice manages to escape, but they retake Venomm. It's apparent that W'Kabi is going to kill him as revenge for the deaths Killmonger inflicts, but T'Challa stops him.

I think the highlight for this issue is the art, which doesn't translate well to my text review. I do like the ongoing themes of outsiders and whether T'Challa is losing his edge because of it. I also like the growing character development of W'Kabi, Taku, and Venomm. Also, Malice was a badass.
    IIRC, this story was reprinted during the Priest run as a 100 monster issue.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm honestly surprised to see Spidey doing as well against T'Challa as he is here.

Clint and T'Challa together reminds me of how much I miss EMH .

I love how T'Challa throws shade at Clint for getting away with killing Banner .
    I really enjoyed the friendship between BP & Clint.

Those two were true opposites in upbringing (geographically, socio-economically, education, & politically), yet they formed a very fun friendship on that show.

From the first Thunderbolts run, Clint stated he never finished school while BP is one of the smartest humans on the planet.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Current ASM has just conditioned me to expect Spidey to job to whatever the current guest star in the book is .
    So he's back to the Gerry Conway level of fighting skills from the 1970's (where he fought to the level of his competition), and not the Roger Stern/Jim Shooter butt-kicker from the 1980's?

Extraordinary Member

I would guess either Killmonger or Cardiac.
    I'm gonna say Killmonger.