Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    I thought the revolution would not be televised lol
    Technically, it's "The Revolution will be no rerun, brother/The Revolution will be live." Doesn't really add anything to this conversation, just encouraging people to listen to the full Gil Scott-Heron song (?).
    Last edited by Mike_Murdock; 01-12-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Adam West Batman is the undisputed master of prep time. He literally carries anything he ever has or ever will need on his belt 24/7.
    That's fair. I forget a lot of things about that show. It's been over a decade since I've seen more than an episode or two.

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    When did Batman really start showing preptime for his enemies? With T'Challa, it's baked into his original appearance. With Batman, I recall some of the Adam West tv show having "gotcha!" moments, but nothing serious in the way of prep. Admittedly, I'm not as familiar with Batman's earlier stories.
    I want to say it wasn't until the late 80s or so that Batman was changed to that. Someone else can correct me but I know for sure that he wasn't created as the prep master Tchalla is. But he is seen as the face of prep Characters

When did Batman really start showing preptime for his enemies? With T'Challa, it's baked into his original appearance. With Batman, I recall some of the Adam West tv show having "gotcha!" moments, but nothing serious in the way of prep. Admittedly, I'm not as familiar with Batman's earlier stories.
    I could be wrong but I would at best say maybe 20-25 years ago. Batman's rep has always been the world's greatest detective.

Morrison really pushed the prep motif in his JLA series.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Adam West Batman is the undisputed master of prep time. He literally carries anything he ever has or ever will need on his belt 24/7.
    Eh there is a difference between being prepped (like Tchalla vs the FF in his debut) and then just having silly gadgets pulled out of no where. I remember tidbits where a shark I'd latched onto his leg and Robin pulls out some shark spray out of the bat helicopter and gives it to Batman. It was more of reactionary then prepared and anticipating the the shark would attack him.

So Adam West Batman had tools for every situation, but Tchalla was an actual prep master because he not only had the correct tool, but Also anticipated what his opponents would do

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Eh there is a difference between being prepped (like Tchalla vs the FF in his debut) and then just having silly gadgets pulled out of no where. I remember tidbits where a shark I'd latched onto his leg and Robin pulls out some shark spray out of the bat helicopter and gives it to Batman. It was more of reactionary then prepared and anticipating the the shark would attack him.

So Adam West Batman had tools for every situation, but Tchalla was an actual prep master because he not only had the correct tool, but Also anticipated what his opponents would do
    Pretty much. Also, it does not translate over into the comics.

Extraordinary Member

Much of the Adam West stuff is based on stuff from the 50's comics with (even more) absurdism intentionally piled on.

Generally speaking DC heroes loved setting traps for the bad guys in the 50's. The more elaborate the better.
    Batman set elaborate traps to get evidence on crooks and Superman did it just to screw with people (at least that is the way I always saw it)

Is that prep? Its got nothing to do with fighting really.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I want to say it wasn't until the late 80s or so that Batman was changed to that. Someone else can correct me but I know for sure that he wasn't created as the prep master Tchalla is. But he is seen as the face of prep Characters
    Yeah, Batman is the face of prep... he's just the most high profile character who got the most consistency being portrayed that way. I'm not a DC guy, but if I had to guess I'd say Morrison is the guy that cemented that image of the character.

Really, the first character or characters who were big on prep were probably the villains rather than the heroes. They make it a career out of preparing themselves to defeat the heroes. Luthor and Doom might be the first high profile characters to constantly do the whole prep thing, though I doubt even they were the very first.
    Last edited by XPac; 01-12-2018 at 02:58 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I could be wrong but I would at best say maybe 20-25 years ago. Batman's rep has always been the world's greatest detective.

Morrison really pushed the prep motif in his JLA series.

It’s also been linked that Bats didn’t become a tech genius until the late end of Priest’s BP run, Priest himself even joked that he feels he’s owed a under the table royalty check for helping them upgrade Bats who has reversed on the “greatest detective” scale

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post

Well someone is about to get they wig split

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Well someone is about to get they wig split

The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

I'm trying to stay on a media blackout in an attempt to go in as unspoiled as possible. but i cant help reading stuff every now and again. I read a thing where a guy saw a early preview, what he said that i found interesting was that the quip level was low. Lately I've not been enjoying the rapid fire jokes in the mcu movies. to me it sucks the seriousness out of the movie, so I'm thrilled having my suspicion confirmed by rumor that this movie was taken seriously

i am concerned t'challa's genius level is going to be toned down. i do recognize the popularity shuri is going to gain is a good thing, just concerned t'challa isn't going to be shown on stark and banner level genius

the hype level is insane. absolute tragedy publishing cant get it right. i haven't read the new spin off series yet though. I did buy two copies because i thought the movie variant was a movie tie in comic and about soiled myself in the comic store
    Last edited by FriendRoss; 01-12-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    I thought the revolution would not be televised lol
    "You will not be able to plug in turn on and drop out!"

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Technically, it's "The Revolution will be no rerun, brother/The Revolution will be live." Doesn't really add anything to this conversation, just encouraging people to listen to the full Gil Scott-Heron song (?).
    I'm half tempted to start posting songs again in the community thread!