Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I would put an ideal supporting cast at somewhere between 4-7 people. If I had more time, I'd look to each run to see what they had. For McGregor, there was W'Kabi, Taku, Monica, Venomm, and Killmonger in each issue (the other rogues were recurring, but I think he certainly counts given how frequently he appeared). I'd also count Karota starting about a third of the way through the story (the woman who disliked the modernizing Wakanda). Zatama (the rebellious advisor who was killed), and Tayete & Kazibe (who were comic relief stock characters) count to a lesser extent. They don't have any arcs, but they add color to the story.

Like I said, I need more time to look through this, but Priest's run had Zuri, Everett K. Ross, Nakia (Okoye to a lesser extent), Niki, Hunter, and maybe Ramonda (I seem to remember her appearing a lot, but I can't remember if she did much besides that one fakeout about her possibly betraying him). Ooh, also QDJ after Nakia left.

The current cast is Ramonda, Aneka & Ayo, Shuri, Manifold and Changamire in the first arc, Thunderball and Storm in the second arc (I really wish Vibraxas and QDJ had a bigger role, I've nearly forgotten what happened with them). I also thought Zawavari was going to get a bigger role, but it doesn't look like it.
    Last edited by Mike_Murdock; 02-11-2018 at 06:43 AM.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Sorry about the double post:

Five Days until the Movie!

Marvel Comics Presents #33 - Panther's Quest (Part 21) - Losing Control

This issue begins with the army having stumbled upon T'Challa's glider and trying to break their way in. The soldier with the tear gas is very pissed off and taking out all his frustrations on the window. Meanwhile, T'Challa is explaining how he figured out it was Pretorius. Essentially, the government reacted very strongly to T'Challa's actions and identified him too quickly (the same day as he knocked out those two soldiers, Pretorius had his picture on the news). But the big identifying fact is that Pretorius knew T'Chaka's name, which only his mother would have known.

Anyway, T'Challa senses the soldiers on his glider and sneaks past them in the grass to get to it. It's cool to see that he succeeds with stealth rather than technology or direct force - although hte technology of his vessel, which is basically theft proof, is still pretty neat. Unfortunately, while T'Challa got in with minimal confrontation, Zanti comes running out of the woods to protect him and is shot down.

Overall, I like this issue, but I thought the ending was senseless. Both that the death didn't make much sense and that Zanti's actions didn't make much sense. It felt like it was adding more conflict by killing off all likable characters. Regardless, this story is winding down so I guess it had to wrap things up.

No costume tears because T'Challa didn't even take a hit.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I would put an ideal supporting cast at somewhere between 4-7 people. If I had more time, I'd look to each run to see what they had. For McGregor, there was W'Kabi, Taku, Monica, Venomm, and Killmonger in each issue (the other rogues were recurring, but I think he certainly counts given how frequently he appeared). I'd also count Karota starting about a third of the way through the story (the woman who disliked the modernizing Wakanda). Zatama (the rebellious advisor who was killed), and Tayete & Kazibe (who were comic relief stock characters) count to a lesser extent. They don't have any arcs, but they add color to the story.

Like I said, I need more time to look through this, but Priest's run had Zuri, Everett K. Ross, Nakia (Okoye to a lesser extent), Niki, Hunter, and maybe Ramonda (I seem to remember her appearing a lot, but I can't remember if she did much besides that one fakeout about her possibly betraying him). Ooh, also QDJ after Nakia left.

The current cast is Ramonda, Aneka & Ayo, Shuri, Manifold and Changamire in the first arc, Thunderball and Storm in the second arc (I really wish Vibraxas and QDJ had a bigger role, I've nearly forgotten what happened with them). I also thought Zawavari was going to get a bigger role, but it doesn't look like it.
    Because Black Plack is a story about a nation, it really should have more world building than just about any other book. We shouldn't expect everything to be done by 3-4 guys. Which isn't to say everyone needs to be used in every issue or story, but T'Challa should have a massive network of allies and resources. To establishing a wide circle is good.

But I do agree there should be a core cast focused on more.I general terms I'd say 3-4 Characters who are basically used all the time and another 2-3 specific to the story that's being told.

Shuri and Ramonda for example should probably be in at least every other issue if not more. But Changamire can show up regularly in issues for story arcs more political in nature. The MA might show up more often stories where BP needs allies to fight alongside with. He should have a wide enough supporting cast to where the author can choose appropriate cast members to fit that particular story. But the cast members more useful in a magical story Don't necessarily need to show up in a political one and vice versa.
    Last edited by XPac; 02-11-2018 at 08:50 AM.

So in anticipation for the movie this weekend, I rewatched Civil War and paid closer attention to the T'Challa stuff. Back when Civil War first came out I had said that the movie really got my attention because Black Panther was introduced well. 2 years on, I still feel it holds true. It's a good, brief look into T'Challa's character and Wakanda in general and seeing him interact with the other heroes. That he ultimately is the one to bring Zemo in, a character also on the same character path as T'Challa in their acts of vengeance, can almost be seen as poetic and adds to the tragedy that Civil War attempts to portray. Boseman played the role well.

Can't wait to see T'Challa in his element this Saturday.

BANNED

Anyone read the article saying Coogler wanted to use Kraven the Hunter personally thought that would be cool. Prefer it over the idea of using Patriot.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Anyone read the article saying Coogler wanted to use Kraven the Hunter personally thought that would be cool. Prefer it over the idea of using Patriot.
    I definitely think using Kracen would have been fun. But the movie already seems to have enough villains, and characters in general. Even if they could use him, it would probably be better to save him for later.

I'd use Patriot in Infinity War rather than the BP movie unless Cap was in the BP movie. That's a big part of the Cap mythis so Steve being involved would be important IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    So in anticipation for the movie this weekend, I rewatched Civil War and paid closer attention to the T'Challa stuff. Back when Civil War first came out I had said that the movie really got my attention because Black Panther was introduced well. 2 years on, I still feel it holds true. It's a good, brief look into T'Challa's character and Wakanda in general and seeing him interact with the other heroes. That he ultimately is the one to bring Zemo in, a character also on the same character path as T'Challa in their acts of vengeance, can almost be seen as poetic and adds to the tragedy that Civil War attempts to portray. Boseman played the role well.

Can't wait to see T'Challa in his element this Saturday.
    Civil War did an amazing job of introducing both Spider-Man and BP, and they did it without throwing Steve under the bus as he still got plenty of spotlight. I can't recall a movie juggling that many super heroes that effectively.

Incredible Member

I just got invited to a special screening of Black Panther today hosted by Tanehisi Coates, here in DC. Got the invite 2 hours ago.

BANNED

Ultimately, it's the responsibility of any writer crafting stories around the characters they've been commissioned to write, is to do due diligence as regards characterisation, motivation and established lore.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with introducing new and interesting characters for the purpose of generating new story tropes and scenarios.

Problems arise when a writer uses said characters to completely neuter the books primary character thus rendering him irrelevant within his own solo book.

Said problem is further compounded by repeated attempts by the writers themselves, their editors and some in professional media, who engage in attempts to justify and defend unwarranted distortions of fictional characters.

I for one, remain pleased that overwhelmingly positive responses from those who've been fortunate to see the Black Panther movie premieres both in LA and London, have proven that a T'Challa unfettered by chronic levels of unimaginative, has always been A-list.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 02-11-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Black Panther is the #1 album on the iTunes store right now.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Ultimately, it's the responsibility of any writer crafting stories around the characters they've been commissioned to write, is to do due diligence as regards characterisation, motivation and established lore.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with introducing new and interesting characters for the purpose of generating new story tropes and scenarios.

Problems arise when a writer uses said characters to completely neuter the books primary character thus rendering him irrelevant within his own solo book.

Said problem is further compounded by repeated attempts by the writers themselves, their editors and some in professional media, engage in attempts to justify and defend unwarranted distortions of fictional characters.

I for one, remain pleased that overwhelmingly positive responses from those who've been fortunate to see the Black Panther movie premieres both in LA and London, have proven that a T'Challa unfettered by chronic levels of unimaginative, has always been A-list.
    Let me know if you want me to say something to Coates. Y'all got me not reading most of his shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post

Said problem is further compounded by repeated attempts by the writers themselves, their editors and some in professional media, engage in attempts to justify and defend unwarranted distortions of fictional characters.

Welcome back BCB. Your presence is most welcome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I definitely think using Kracen would have been fun. But the movie already seems to have enough villains, and characters in general. Even if they could use him, it would probably be better to save him for later.

I'd use Patriot in Infinity War rather than the BP movie unless Cap was in the BP movie. That's a big part of the Cap mythis so Steve being involved would be important IMO.
    Agree on both parts. I'd love to see Kraven vs Black Panther on the big screen hopefully for the sequel and instead of Patriot I'd love to see Kasper something more Black Panther mytho based.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
    I just got invited to a special screening of Black Panther today hosted by Tanehisi Coates, here in DC. Got the invite 2 hours ago.
    Lucky son of a gun, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
    Quoted wrong. This goes with your later post.

There is an article saying he hopes the movie will get people to read his comic. Let us know if he gives any information about the next arc.

But if he takes questions and you don't mind being he person the crowd gives stink eyes too, ask why he favors giving big moments to side characters and putting Tchalla in the background on multiple occasions. An example is the previous silent issue.

Please be polite and keep in mind that you're probably among an audience who are not regular comic book readers and don't know these debates among fan groups.