Having been a black militant in the 90's everything about Killmonger reminds me of black revolutionaries up close and personal!

If Malcolm X or the Black Panther Party had access to vibranium for weaponry even Dr King is shortening up his speeches real quick...

King: "I have a dreeeeam that one daaay... Wait, is that a U.F.O shooting lasers?"

Killmonger: "BURN EM ALL!"

King: "Everybody we out duck... Bye!"

Audubon Ballroom...

Assassin: "Get yo hands out my pocket!"

Malcolm X: "Go ahead let him shoot!"

Bang... Ping... Piff... Splat...

Malcolm X: "This suit absorbs kinetic energy now brothers sit down and let me finish my speech!"

Angela Davis: "Wakanda Forever!"

Quote Originally Posted by MouserGrey View Post
    Yup, yup, yup. The greater the adversary, the greater the victory.
    ANd that is EXACTLY how you have a hero/villain conflict.

Have the villain beat the hero (doesn't happen nearly as much as it should IMO), make the hero the underdog battling against impossible odds, then have the hero come out of top. It's a simple enough formule but you don't see it enough. Villains are made to look like such losers, it gets harder and harder to care. I think that in part is why we have as much hero vs hero conflict in big events. Outside of Doom and Thanos, it's hard to give a dam about the villains.

More need to be written like Killmonger. Make them real threats actually capable of beating the hero. If it starts seeming like they can't, there's almost no point to it all.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    ANd that is EXACTLY how you have a hero/villain conflict.

Have the villain beat the hero (doesn't happen nearly as much as it should IMO), make the hero the underdog battling against impossible odds, then have the hero come out of top. It's a simple enough formule but you don't see it enough. Villains are made to look like such losers, it gets harder and harder to care. I think that in part is why we have as much hero vs hero conflict in big events. Outside of Doom and Thanos, it's hard to give a dam about the villains.

More need to be written like Killmonger. Make them real threats actually capable of beating the hero. If it starts seeming like they can't, there's almost no point to it all.
    It's hard to give a damn about the villains because, really, no one develops them anymore. They have no depth, no meaningful motivation, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    It's hard to give a damn about the villains because, really, no one develops them anymore. They have no depth, no meaningful motivation, etc.
    Comics really do need to spent the panel time fleshing out villains. I know some aren't a fan of the talking heads, but in the long term it's a good investment.

THe MCU movies are at least managing to do a much better job with the villains lately. Ego, Vulture, and Killmonger were all pretty cool. But it's a short coming for a lot of marvel movies. Thankfully a lot of improvement is being made in this regard.

I also think it's one of the nice things about the Net Flicks shows. The villains are all given a lot of time and development, almost to the degree that you're rooting for some of them. Runaways gets props for developing the parents to the degree they do as well.

It's one of the many reasons BP is such a great super hero movie. THe supporting cast and villains are so well developed.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

But there were Wakandans who were planning to overthrow Killmonger even without T'CHalla. T'Challa family and the Jabari clearly weren't on the same page as him. And though the Doras were going along with him, they weren't exactly happy about it. I don't dispute that he may have only had limited resistance at that point. But he had limited resistance in a situation where they haven't even really done anything yet. Drag your nation the size of Jersey into a war with the rest of the planet, and I'll wager overtime more and more people might find the idea of a coup pretty reasonable.
    M'Baku has no interest in helping until T'Challa spoke to him alone. The Dora Milaje specifically stayed loyal to the crown despite their misgivings. That leaves Shuri, Ramonda, and Nakia against all of Wakanda.

I'm not saying that Killmonger would have succeeded in his plan, I'm saying that internal rebellion was not a significant threat.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Ultimate Member

Comics really do need to spent the panel time fleshing out villains. I know some aren't a fan of the talking heads, but in the long term it's a good investment.

THe MCU movies are at least managing to do a much better job with the villains lately. Ego, Vulture, and Killmonger were all pretty cool. But it's a short coming for a lot of marvel movies. Thankfully a lot of improvement is being made in this regard.

I also think it's one of the nice things about the Net Flicks shows. The villains are all given a lot of time and development, almost to the degree that you're rooting for some of them. Runaways gets props for developing the parents to the degree they do as well.

It's one of the many reasons BP is such a great super hero movie. THe supporting cast and villains are so well developed.
    True.

I think well developed comic book villains help when it come to suspending disbelief. After all, in a comic, there are no actors, no body language, no tone of voice. All we have is art and words to convey the story, and that's not a lot, when you get down to the brass tacks.

Doom, Thanos, Deathstroke at DC, they have more gravitas than depth, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    True.

I think well developed comic book villains help when it come to suspending disbelief. After all, in a comic, there are no actors, no body language, no tone of voice. All we have is art and words to convey the story, and that's not a lot, when you get down to the brass tacks.

Doom, Thanos, Deathstroke at DC, they have more gravitas than depth, IMO
    Yeah, if you look at essentially the only marvel villains fans give a dam about (Doom, Thanos, Magneto), they have 2 things in common... they win enough to be considered bad @$$es (even though they still lose in the end), and you have writers who champion them enough to actually develop them. That's why those villains can and have carried books on their own without any heroes in sight. Marvel needs more villains like that.

Klaw got his own issue in Black Panther a few issues back. I know some weren't happy about that, and I can't blame them... but IMO Klaw needed that. He needed reasons for people to give a damn about him. Whether the issue succeeded in doing that or not is up to debate, but the effort needed to be made. Hopefully we'll see the same with Killmonger. Timing would be good given the movie. We'll see if he makes a comeback or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    This is the most well developed MCU movie to date. I don't think we will get this deep of a film in the MCU again unless Coogler returns for the sequel.
    Definitely the deepest film in the MCU so far, though I think Winter Soldier comes awfully damn close.

I'd like to think that we'll get more films from Marvel like this. This was so gods damn good, and it was such a breath of fresh air to get a quality villain with a real motivation. Loki is great, but he's basically just an entitled teenager whining because he doesn't think daddy and mommy love him enough. Killmonger had a legitimate purpose and goal, though how he tried to go about it was flawed as hell. But then, if he had gone about it the "right" way, he wouldn't be the villain.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Definitely the deepest film in the MCU so far, though I think Winter Soldier comes awfully damn close.

I'd like to think that we'll get more films from Marvel like this. This was so gods damn good, and it was such a breath of fresh air to get a quality villain with a real motivation. Loki is great, but he's basically just an entitled teenager whining because he doesn't think daddy and mommy love him enough. Killmonger had a legitimate purpose and goal, though how he tried to go about it was flawed as hell. But then, if he had gone about it the "right" way, he wouldn't be the villain.
    Yeah, that's pretty much Killmonger in a nutshell. He's kind of gotta be flawed as hell, otherwise he wouldn't be the bad guy. And it would sort of be a boring movie. Seeing him attempt peaceful negotiation to achieve his goals makes him a lot less villainous, but it also makes for a darn boring movie. The flaws are necessary if nothing else for entertainment value.

Hopefully more marvel movies are like this. Fleshed out villains with understandable motives, and a deep supporting cast who serve an actual function in the movie beyond just being things that need to be checked off on a list of things an action star needs in a movie... side kick, love interest, etc.

I heard a rumor that Batman is begging to be in the next Black Panther Film.

He wants to dump the JL real quick.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, you can only do Civil War so many times :P

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post

Shuri could tease him to the point where I can hear Batflac whine, "I'm not copying him!"
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post

I don't know if that would end too well for him

The J-man

Yup. And Killmonger was about to show Hydra how to REALLY sneak take-over the world. Remaining in the shadows but being the connect; then once he was done causing all the devastation to conquer the dozens of 3rd world countries, forcing their military coup leaders to get in line and forming the new continent of Afri-- er Wakanda... things would've got spooky. Straight up World War Wakanda but not the way Hudlin imagined it lol; with all the other governments already infiltrated and in various states of destabilization by the war dogs. Killmonger's 10 year plan would've been spooky.

T'Challa deaded that **** quick tho, like a GOAT hero does

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I don't know if that would end too well for him

Furthermore, T'Challa isn't currently accepting sidekicks right now