Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    That's why they may be better off keeping them in a separate universe or at least not make everyone in the MCU a mutant hating scum-bag.

Oh, my poor X-Men. Where would you be without angst.

Probably not as popular as they ended up being, I imagine .

(And there's a lot of angst in X-Men. Moral angst, Mutant angst, family angst, Cosmic God angst, romance angst, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    yeah thats pretty much the X-mens thing right
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Probably not as popular as they ended up being, I imagine .

(And there's a lot of angst in X-Men. Moral angst, Mutant angst, family angst, Cosmic God angst, romance angst, etc.)
    Don't forget costume change angst.

You're right they tapped into something huge. But with the way the country and world is embracing individuality and being different along with people connecting on social media, it makes it much harder for them to push this angst.

Invincible Member

You're right they tapped into something huge. But with the way the country and world is embracing individuality and being different along with people connecting on social media, it makes it much harder for them to push this angst.
    Oh, I don't know about that...we have a president implying countries dominated by brown and black people are "****-hole" countries. Folks trying to pass laws about who can use what bathrooms. Same president still going on about his stupid wall. Comic book fans claiming that comics aimed at little kids are somehow anti-white men...

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Oh, I don't know about that...we have a president implying countries dominated by brown and black people are "****-hole" countries. Folks trying to pass laws about who can use what bathrooms. Same president still going on about his stupid wall. Comic book fans claiming that comics aimed at little kids are somehow anti-white men...
    But these are mostly the older white male readers and Trump's message is mostly directed at a shrinking aging demographic. It get's press because it's coming from a President.

Marvel movies aren't really all that big on angst. That's more of a DC thing (or at least it was). If/when they do an X-Men thing I'm sure the whole mutant phobia thing will be a part of the narrative to some degree, but they'll likely also be shooting off jokes every 5 minutes like every other marvel film to keep it light.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    The T'challa that some posters here are mad about not appearing in Hickmans run (That solves everything, never faulters or fails and everything else ppl hate him for) seem oddly fond of the T'challa that didn't even come close to appearing in Cooglers fantastic movie.
    My man. Hickman's T'Challa was amazing, tbh. But people are coming with the weakest possible complaints, then saying "yeah, but in the movie he did so much!!!"

Honestly, I think that might have me saltiest. How are you gonna disrespect Hickman, then praise a T'Challa that did even *less*? At least be consistent.

Extraordinary Member

I'm thinking about Killmonger, and Panther's Rage.

BP is clearly an enhanced human, due to the situations he put in throughout the story, and has some advanced healing due to the crazy punishment he took.

However, Killmonger was physically superior to T'Challa.

Killmonger has to be enhanced.

Has it ever been shown how he got that way?

Did he expose himself to the Alter of Resurrection?

I have not seen the film, but I heard MCU Killmonger has defeated T'Challa, as well.

MCU Killmonger has to be enhanced, too, right?

No further spoilers for MCU Killmonger, please.

Extraordinary Member

Also, I can't help be see a lot of parallels between Panther's Rage & Knightfall.

I actually wonder if Bane was somewhat inspired by Kilmonger.

Even the last battle, Killmonger was gonna break T'Challa's back before throwing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I'm thinking about Killmonger, and Panther's Rage.

BP is clearly an enhanced human, due to the situations he put in throughout the story, and has some advanced healing due to the crazy punishment he took.

However, Killmonger was physically superior to T'Challa.

Killmonger has to be enhanced.

Has it ever been shown how he got that way?

Did he expose himself to the Alter of Resurrection?

I have not seen the film, but I heard MCU Killmonger has defeated T'Challa, as well.

MCU Killmonger has to be enhanced, too, right?

No further spoilers for MCU Killmonger, please.
    I beielve the usage of the resurrection alter led to him having slightly enhanced strength.

That said I always found it interesting that Killmonger has been able to defeat T'CHalla as often as he had, since on paper I still consider Killmonger the underdog. He MIGHT be stronger than T'Challa... but I think overall T'Challa should be smart, faster, and have better tech. But Killmonger is the underdog that still manages to come out on top or at least fight T'Challa to a draw most of the time. It's part of what makes him unique I guess.

“A torture for the eyes”: Chinese moviegoers think Black Panther is just too black

Marvel’s first black superhero film Black Panther made a strong debut in China, taking in more than $63 million this weekend and helping it cross the billion-dollar mark globally. And while the film filled seats in China, it didn’t exactly bring in rave reviews from Chinese audiences—in fact, online reviews hint at subtle racism and discomfort with the all-black cast.

Set in Wakanda, a fictional country in East Africa that’s hidden from the outside world, the movie portrayed a romanticized version of Africa that had never been touched by the white man. Led by a cast of black actors and actresses, the film presented how the king of the country, T’Challa, used his intelligence, ancestral knowledge, and access to advance technologies to become the superhero Black Panther.

But the movie—which comes as a timely portrayal and celebration of blackness half a century after Martin Luther King Jr.’s assassination—is hardly resonating with Chinese audiences. On Douban, China’s IMDb-esque platform, the film holds a 6.8 rating out of 10 (link in Chinese)—almost half of science-fiction and action movies rated by Douban users have a better score. Outside of China, Black Panther is on track to become the highest-rated superhero movie, according to Rotten Tomatoes; 97% of reviews from critics have been positive.

Some moviegoers disliked Black Panther because they felt Marvel was trying too hard to be politically correct (link in Chinese). While many reviewers on Douban stopped short of leaving overtly racist comments about the film, many discussed their discomfort of being surrounded by so much blackness.

“Maybe the Chinese are still not used to a film full of black people,” wrote one reviewer on Douban (link in Chinese). The commenter said he had to pinch himself more than 10 times to stay awake during the movie because “Black Panther is black, all the major characters are black, a lot of scenes are black, the car-chasing scene is black—the blackness has really made me drowsy.”

Another reviewer who came into the theater late made a similar observation: “When I entered the theater, a bunch of black people was fighting in the night… I’ve never been in a theater so dark that I couldn’t find my seat.”

Someone else said the experience was worse in 3D (link in Chinese): “The film is filled with black actors and actresses. Also, because the film’s colors are a bit dark, it’s nearly a torture for the eyes to watch the film’s 3D version in the theater.”

It’s yet another reminder of China’s limited exposure to race. Last month, in the annual Lunar New Year TV gala by China’s state broadcaster CCTV, producers had a Chinese actress in blackface and cast a black actor to play a monkey. In October, a Chinese museum hosted an exhibition titled “This is Africa” that juxtaposed images of black people to animals, including monkeys and cheetahs.

Still, Black Panther could be a start for Chinese people to learn about the black culture, argues writer Niesha Davis on Shanghai-based digital publication Sixth Tone. “Exposure to pop culture that encompasses diverse representations of black people can exert a powerful influence on how individuals conceive of them,” Davis wrote.
    https://qz.com/1226449/a-torture-for...too-black/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    “A torture for the eyes”: Chinese moviegoers think Black Panther is just too black

Like I said before and will say it again, I don't care about the Chinese audience.

They can think whatever they want for all I care.

Don’t care, we still in the billion dollar club. And the numbers prove we never needed China to begin with.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Invincible Member

But these are mostly the older white male readers and Trump's message is mostly directed at a shrinking aging demographic. It get's press because it's coming from a President.
    But you also got these folks like Ben Shapiro, Lauren Southern, Milo Y, etc and all these young-ish alt right guys popping up all over the place. On the other hand, while the internet has made it easy for those guys to spread their nonsense, I agree that it's also made it easy for different cultures to learn about each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    Like I said before and will say it again, I don't care about the Chinese audience.

They can think whatever they want for all I care.
    It's also important to note that while some reviews may have issues with the movie, it's still opening strong in China. So if people are paying their money to see it, it can't be that much of an issue.

Invincible Member

Eh, it still made 63 mil there which is nothing to sneeze at. Obviously, some Chinese folks were into the movie.
    Last edited by ed2962; 03-12-2018 at 09:17 AM.