Page 15 of 74 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Kurt Busiek

Extraordinary Member

Like a lot of comics writers (though not all) you tend to put certain words in bold to indicate where the emphasis is supposed to be. Is there a reason why this is done in comics when novels, poetry, etc. don't indicate emphasis?

Also, do you know why Marvel in the Jim Shooter era mostly stopped using this technique and just had most of the words unbolded (as in much of Claremont's X-Men, for example)? Was that an editorial edict at the time?

(I like the effect of the emphasized words, BTW, it's almost like music in a strange way, and something regular prose outside balloons probably can't get away with.)
    Last edited by gurkle; 11-15-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomuniverse View Post
    What's your favorite Magneto story?
    I don't really do "favorites." It doesn't occur to me to rank things. If I like it, I don't need to figure out whether I like it more or less than something else I like, after all; there's room for plenty of stuff I like.

That said, the story in X-MEN #17-18, back in 1966, comes to mind as one I liked a lot.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Like a lot of comics writers (though not all) you tend to put certain words in bold to indicate where the emphasis is supposed to be. Is there a reason why this is done in comics when novels, poetry, etc. don't indicate emphasis?
    Comics traditionally use capital letters. Large blocks of capital letter, with no ascenders or descenders, like in lower case letters, tend to blur together. Bold words not only provide emphasis, but they also give the eye places to unconsciously "anchor," so you don't lose track of which line of text in a balloon you're reading.

Also, do you know why Marvel in the Jim Shooter era mostly stopped using this technique and just had most of the words unbolded (as in much of Claremont's X-Men, for example)? Was that an editorial edict at the time?
    More like a very strong editorial encouragement.

(I like the effect of the emphasized words, BTW, it's almost like music in a strange way, and something regular prose outside balloons probably can't get away with.)
    I find I use bold words more with all-caps fonts, because they're just not as needed in mixed-case fonts. But I like 'em, too.

kdb

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Kurt,

I was reading Bryan Talbot's excellent Grandville: Noel the other night, and I noticed two things:

1) Bryan thanked you for input in his acknowledgements.

2) The depiction of Jesus in G:N was somewhat similiar to your depiction of the Grand Champion in your equally excellent Tooth and Claw 1.

I was wondering if this was just serendipity or if you and Bryan had planned this as an easter egg/indirect crossover? I'm trying to hold the continuity nerd in me back from creating a Unified Theory of Anthropomorphic Comic Characters Consciousness.

In any event, can't wait for T&C 2 tomorrow. Thanks for all the great stories.

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

I noticed that Tooth & Claw had its name changed to The Autumnlands: Tooth & Claw for issue #2. Did someone cease and desist you over the title?

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Purcell View Post
    I noticed that Tooth & Claw had its name changed to The Autumnlands: Tooth & Claw for issue #2. Did someone cease and desist you over the title?
    The letters page at the end of T&C 2 mentioned that there was some trademark dispute, and that it would be more fully explained in a future issue.

Issue 2 was great all around.

Happy New Year to everyone!

I just picked up these two hardcovers:

Astro City: Life in the Big City
    Astro City: The Dark Age 2

No questions Mr Busiek. Just thanks.

Hey, Kurt. Another Tooth & Claw question.

What was the reasoning behind the full frontal nudity with respect to the Champion? Given how rare that seems to be in American comics, I figure that had to have been a conscious choice on your part. I wasn't opposed to it at all, merely curious. Was the wonky juxtaposition between clothed animals and naked human part of the rationale behind it? That opposition certainly seems to be reflected in their respective speech patterns, specifically how swear-y and more tonally colloquial the champion is.

BANNED

Mr Busiek, I want to thank you very much for coming up with the idea that the Phoenix-entity replaced Marvel Girl between X-Men 100 and 101.

I am grateful because when Marvel Girl resumed her life as a superheroine in X-Factor 1 in 1986 she eventually met her end in X-Men 150 in 2004 but she died in the line of duty, as a superheroine and NOT as a supervillainess like the Phoenix-entity in Uncanny X-Men 137.

I really-really liked that and will always be grateful to you and to Jim Shooter for approving your idea.

Best wishes in 2015 to you Mr Busiek!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Happy New Year to everyone!

I just picked up these two hardcovers:

Astro City: Life in the Big City
    Astro City: The Dark Age 2

No questions Mr Busiek. Just thanks.
    My pleasure. Hope you liked 'em!

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by King's_Gambit View Post
    Hey, Kurt. Another Tooth & Claw question.

What was the reasoning behind the full frontal nudity with respect to the Champion? Given how rare that seems to be in American comics, I figure that had to have been a conscious choice on your part. I wasn't opposed to it at all, merely curious. Was the wonky juxtaposition between clothed animals and naked human part of the rationale behind it? That opposition certainly seems to be reflected in their respective speech patterns, specifically how swear-y and more tonally colloquial the champion is.
    That's certainly part of it. It's also a matter of setting the tone for what this world will be like -- which is why we saw some nudity, sex and gore even in #1, even if it wasn't played up.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Mr Busiek, I want to thank you very much for coming up with the idea that the Phoenix-entity replaced Marvel Girl between X-Men 100 and 101.

I am grateful because when Marvel Girl resumed her life as a superheroine in X-Factor 1 in 1986 she eventually met her end in X-Men 150 in 2004 but she died in the line of duty, as a superheroine and NOT as a supervillainess like the Phoenix-entity in Uncanny X-Men 137.

I really-really liked that and will always be grateful to you and to Jim Shooter for approving your idea.

Best wishes in 2015 to you Mr Busiek!
    Glad you liked it. I haven't read that story, but I'm glad it worked well for you. Gotta figure many would argue that the Phoenix's "death" in 137 was a heroic death, too, but everyone brings different expectations to a story and different interpretations away from it.

kdb

Incredible Member

Hi, Kurt!

I just picked up "Through Open Doors" today (a little behind on my Astro City reading, because I don't read many comics these days), but I was wondering- when did Winged Victory officially join the Honor Guard? (Or did she?) Perhaps it's something that is addressed in one of the newer issues (I noticed you're already up to #19 again, so I'm playing catch up).

Also picked up Tooth and Claw 1 & 2 and really enjoyed those (as well as Walt Simonson's Ragnarok, which is great! That long sidetrek to pick up Q2 #4 that I took may have bitten me with comic fever again!)

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhudrew View Post
    Hi, Kurt!

I just picked up "Through Open Doors" today (a little behind on my Astro City reading, because I don't read many comics these days), but I was wondering- when did Winged Victory officially join the Honor Guard? (Or did she?) Perhaps it's something that is addressed in one of the newer issues (I noticed you're already up to #19 again, so I'm playing catch up).
    She joined sometime before then -- it's not a story we've shown. But then, we've never shown when Samaritan joined, either, or the new Hummingbird, or most other members. We did just recently (like, this week) show how Quarrel joined, but in most cases that's not the kind of detail we've really covered.

Also picked up Tooth and Claw 1 & 2 and really enjoyed those (as well as Walt Simonson's Ragnarok, which is great! That long sidetrek to pick up Q2 #4 that I took may have bitten me with comic fever again!)
    Glad you liked 'em!

kdb

Mr. Busiek, I got a few questions if that's ok:
    1) Did you have plans on re-visiting the Octessence and the Exemplars? I thought they were a cool idea and expanded the Juggernaut and magical side of the universe.
    2) Were there any set plans you had with Ultimo regarding his origins? I loved that Iron Man story where he deactivated and targets Sapper as that was the first bit of origin story I had ever seen from him.
    3) Did you envision more of a role for Rumiko Fujikawa and her family in Iron Man? Rumiko was killed off which is a shame as I liked her character.
    4) This is more of a DC question but were there big plans for the Order of the Thorny Crown and Knights of Tethys? The mythos building in Aquaman then was very interesting.
    5) Did you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year?

Thanks for answering questions, you are the best!