Page 17 of 74 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Kurt Busiek

Hi Kurt- I am just curious, as the Avengers sequel draws nearer, will you be as disappointed as I will if Thor never says the "Ultron.....we would have words with thee" line? Or are you removed enough from it at this point for that not to matter to you? Or is it just a case of if it's in there, you'd be like "hey, cool" but if it's not no big deal?

As a fan I feel like if it's not in there somewhere, in some way, I'll be disappointed.

I was so disappointed that we never heard "Avengers Assemble" being shouted out in the first movie, that I guess I never even thought that Thor would say that classic line in the second movie.

Peace

Saw this thread near the top and had to ask this:

Suppose Marvel called up and offered you the chance to revisit any storyline in Marvel history with a Secret Wars one shot tie in. What would you want to revisit, and why?

To clarify: I'm not asking if you were offered a chance. That's between you and Marvel. Just thought you have a fairly encyclopedic knowledge of Marvel stuff and your work has covered a wide variety of heroes and eras at Marvel, so I'd be curious what you'd aim for with a Secret Wars. Would you revisit an older work or aim at something you haven't had a chance to explore?
    Last edited by DrTraveler; 03-22-2015 at 08:03 PM.

^^^^
    That's a cool question. I'm also intrigued with what concept Mr. Busiek would like to revisit, and how he'd go around doing it. What would be the hook?

Peace

Incredible Member

Kurt-

Looks like it has been a while since anyone posted in this thread, so I'm not sure if you're following it any longer or not. In any event, I wanted to take the opportunity to tell you how much I enjoyed reading the "Lover's Quarrel" arc in Astro City (I just recently got the trade). In just three issues, you managed to write one of the most compelling, complex, and real relationship stories between two unapologetically emotionally distant characters. Very well done. Thank you.

BANNED

I am curious to know... Where did the idea or inspiration come from for the comicbook character Carol Danvers aka Warbird to deal with an alcohol problem?

Hi, Mr. Busiek. How do you feel about DC's Rebirth? Does it strike any key notes with you? Would you be intrested in taking any character back to its roots (something you are known for doing very well)? Which ones? Have you been ofered to do anything?

Peace

This thread is fairly old so i don't know if Kurt still reads this but.

I'm a huge fan of your work on the Conan series for Dark Horse. A lot of people have tried to bring Howard's stories into the modern era and put their own spin on them your's was the best IMO.

Cary Nord's art was spot on and that's to be expected for a Conan title. But the writing was so good that it was a pleasant surprise. You did such a good job taking the original stories, which weren't really meant to be closely connected, and made an enjoyable timeline that meshed perfectly.

Were you already a fan of the original stories when you getting ready to plan out the series? Or were you a fan of the older comics and then went back and read Howard's material?

Also i'm looking forward to Autumnlands Vol. 2.
    Last edited by Mormegil; 06-02-2016 at 06:59 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Happy birthday Kurt Busiek!!!!! I hope you enjoy many more!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I have a question about technique, but I don't quite know how to phrase it... forgive me if this is awkward:

It seems like until 2001, the prevailing narration style at Marvel was in the style I associate with Bronze Age Marvel - very caption-heavy, with the captions usually narrated in the third person, and with the narration used not only to fill in background but add atmosphere to what we're seeing. (I think of it as Bronze Age because Stan Lee's captioning style was a bit different sometimes.) Having written Thunderbolts and Avengers in that omnisciently-narrated style, I was wondering if you had any thoughts on what it adds to a story and how you judged whether a scene needed captions or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    It's one particular style of narration. And yeah, it can add atmosphere, as well as clarify transitions, build a certain narrative rhythm and so on. As to whether a scene needs captions or not, I don't like the word "need." There's seldom only one way to do something in fiction/entertainment, so the way you do it is a choice, not a necessity.

I would use captions based on practice and experience, mainly -- if I thought that it helped the story, whether by adding a bit of atmosphere, or clarity, or if it slowed the reader down at a point I wanted them to slow down, or pulled them through a sequence I wanted to feel like it happened quickly...it's a matter of practice and comfort, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Also, and I don't know if you can talk about this, whether you ran into trouble continuing to write Avengers that way given the big stylistic shifts that took place at Marvel in 2001-2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    Nobody ever said anything specifically about captions, but I was aware that the Powers That Be thought of the book as "old-fashioned," which is one of the reasons I left when I did.

kdb
    To me, VERY interesting to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I'll take that kind of old fashioned story-telling any day. It wasn't just the captions but the whole Avengers narrative. I think you did a great service to many Avengers characters, villains included.
    Hear, hear!

Astonishing Member

Avengers Forever is still my favorite Avengers story ever. It made me feel like there was a secret manifesto created when the book was started that no one mentions but all writers have to sign off on before writing the book and adding to the narrative. It was like all the stories had a purpose and were in continuity no matter how unrelated they seemed. Bravo.

I love how you and your book made it possible for Genis to have a "Rebirth". Do you ever think Marvel will ever allow Captain Marvel (Mar-vell) to return (or Genis for that matter)? While bringing back 'deceased' characters is a very comic book thing to do, Marvel has resisted bringing either character back despite a few red herrings or versions from alternate universes. Is it because of a promise made to Starlin, or a legal editorial mandate? It just has always seemed odd. I find it hard to believe no one has wanted to write Mar-vell since his death in Marvel's first graphic novel.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I love how you and your book made it possible for Genis to have a "Rebirth". Do you ever think Marvel will ever allow Captain Marvel (Mar-vell) to return (or Genis for that matter)? While bringing back 'deceased' characters is a very comic book thing to do, Marvel has resisted bringing either character back despite a few red herrings or versions from alternate universes. Is it because of a promise made to Starlin, or a legal editorial mandate? It just has always seemed odd. I find it hard to believe no one has wanted to write Mar-vell since his death in Marvel's first graphic novel.
    We've seen a number of comics written (and drawn) with Mar-Vell since his death, though. He hasn't been resurrected for long/for real/in this universe, but people write him into comics, draw him in comics fairly regularly still.

I've always thought his being dead made him a better character to use, honestly.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Hi Mr Busiek. Any thing new to offer on the movie/TV front about any of your characters? Astro City might be a good idea for Netflix.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    We've seen a number of comics written (and drawn) with Mar-Vell since his death, though. He hasn't been resurrected for long/for real/in this universe, but people write him into comics, draw him in comics fairly regularly still.

I've always thought his being dead made him a better character to use, honestly.
    Agreed. For some reason, maybe because of the very 'human' way he died and the fact we still have no real cure for cancer, keeping him dead not only seems like the right thing to do, but it makes the story and legacy of the character that much more powerful.

Keeping Genis dead one other hand.....I can't explain that. I'd love to have him back and used regularly. I'd also like to see one of the Mar-Vell kids ask Carol why she feels she has the right to their family name without even bothering to ask them. Especially when Teddy is stuck calling himself bloody Hulkling.

Obviously it's relatively important she keep the name at this point, but there is a story to be told there imo.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God