Page 31 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Kurt Busiek

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    I did write THOR: GODSTORM, but I'd also have liked to do an extended run on the book, and I'd have covered a wide, wide range of stuff. There are Thor stories I want to do that don't need the Marvel Thor, and I may get to do those elsewhere, too.
    How on Earth did I not know you wrote a Thor book ? I'm getting it ASAP, I'm sure it's great.

I also wrote Thor a couple of times recently, and you'll see those bits next year.
    Very eager to read it. Can you say the name of the book so I can keep alert for it or is it a secret project ?

No, we'd have gotten "in trouble" with that, too. When we started on JLA/AVENGERS, the one thing readers asked for more than anything else was for there to be fights with endings -- and they particularly wanted to see a Thor/Superman fight with a resolution.

As for why it ended the way it did, Superman's really, really, really powerful. So is Thor, but I think if there was a rematch, he'd be a lot more cautious, something he usually isn't the first time he fights someone and figures his power will be enough to carry him through. Based on how those characters fight unknown foes, over the years, this is how I thought it would go, and the rest of the creative team, and editors from both companies agreed.
    I see, thanks for the answers.

We didn't do votes in JLA/AVENGERS. That was the other one.

kdb
    Not helping really. Still depressing for some Thor fans.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Not helping really. Still depressing for some Thor fans.
    Its been a while... never understand the grudges some fans hold (unless the one between me and Judd Winick). I never cared about power levels. Just interesting characters.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Its been a while... never understand the grudges some fans hold (unless the one between me and Judd Winick). I never cared about power levels. Just interesting characters.
    Im happy for you.

Who said anything about a grudge? I'm simply "seconding that motion" if you read back.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Happy Holidays Mr. Busiek!

If you were approached by Marvel Studios to write and direct a movie about any character/team of your choosing, who would it be?

What superpower do you enjoy most portraying when writing?

Is cranberry sauce really necessary at Holiday dinners?

BANNED

Who do you consider the top Avengers villain ? Kang or Ultron ?

BANNED

ultron shows up more often

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Very eager to read it. Can you say the name of the book so I can keep alert for it or is it a secret project ?
    One of them is in MARVEL 1, the anthology being curated by Alex Ross. It's in a story featuring the Avengers, drawn by Steve Rude.
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    If you were approached by Marvel Studios to write and direct a movie about any character/team of your choosing, who would it be?
    I'm tempted to say the Thunderbolts. But the FF would be a lot of fun, too, as would a new take on the X-Men.

What superpower do you enjoy most portraying when writing?
    It has honestly never occurred to me to rank superpowers that way, so I don't know.

Is cranberry sauce really necessary at Holiday dinners?
    Not at mine, since no one in my immediate family eats it...

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Who do you consider the top Avengers villain ? Kang or Ultron ?
    I don't know who I'd say was #1. Kang, maybe. But those two are at the top of the list.

Baron Zemo and the Masters of Evil get the third slot.

kdb

I don't know who I'd say was #1. Kang, maybe. But those two are at the top of the list.

Baron Zemo and the Masters of Evil get the third slot.

kdb
    Hmmm....I'd think Count Nefaria would be a close third.

Where did you get the idea to use justice and firestar in avengers? (they were great in your run)

Do you think marvel will wrap up the "sandman is mind controlled" plot in the next 50 years? (It's more ironic as reed has cured that machine twice but won't cure sandman!)

If marvel asks you to write a lesser known hero for a future Disney plus show who would you pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Where did you get the idea to use justice and firestar in avengers? (they were great in your run)
    Thanks. I wanted to be able to show the experience of being an Avenger through new eyes, and they gave us two interesting perspectives: Someone who had dreamed of being an Avengers for years, and someone who had never aspired to that.

Do you think marvel will wrap up the "sandman is mind controlled" plot in the next 50 years? (It's more ironic as reed has cured that machine twice but won't cure sandman!)
    I have no idea.

If marvel asks you to write a lesser known hero for a future Disney plus show who would you pick?
    I don't think they're going to, so I haven't thought about it.

But if we're really going for lesser-known, I'll pick a Wundarr/Namorita show.

kdb
    Last edited by Kurt Busiek; 01-16-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Going through my comics, I found another Kurt Busiek title that I forget I had:

Marvel: Eye of the Camera

How did the Thunderbolts' famous slogan "Justice, Like Lightning..." come to be? As in, how did you find the original quote, fit it into the narrative and so on?