Page 64 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Kurt Busiek

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Hey Kurt enjoying Marvels & sad to here it’s ending. My question is what was idea/ideas behind the creation & concept of Warbird ( my favorite character from that series) & connecting her to Wakanda & the Shiàr ?
    I like the name and I liked the costume, and I wanted to come up with a new version of her. So we kind of figured one out.

Making her a Shi'Ar/Jabari hybrid gave us some nice justification for the powers, and some connections that could make for good story hooks in the future.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I hope that The Marvels gets collected in a trade paperback. it would feel good to read in one setting.
    The first half is already out in a TPB.

kdb
    Last edited by Kurt Busiek; 04-01-2022 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    They're a lot like the Epic Collections, really. But I think ours are designed better.

Next time you're in a store, maybe look at one and see what you think.

kdb
    I actually ordered the first one yesterday. After thinking about it, I felt just getting them again would look a lot better on my bookshelf and I wouldn’t have any duplicate stories when the trades don’t match up perfectly with the Metrobooks. After reading the new story yesterday, I forgot how much I loved this series and look forward to rereading the older ones and picking up where I left off all those years ago.

I like the name and I liked the costume, and I wanted to come up with a new version of her. So we kind of figured one out.

Making her a Shi'Ar/Jabari hybrid gave us some nice justification for the powers, and some connections that could make for good story hooks in the future.

kdb
    Thanks for info it’s greatly appreciated

Mr. Busiek, upon hearing the death of George Perez I just wanted to thank you for the work that you've done together and the joy that I've gotten from your collaborations.

Too often we as fans get wrapped up in criticism(myself included) and not enough in appreciation for the work that creator's do.

I met George Perez in person once and I've thanked him so many times. I just want to take time to thank you and remember the joy that both you and George gave me as an Avengers fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post

Mr. Busiek, upon hearing the death of George Perez I just wanted to thank you for the work that you've done together and the joy that I've gotten from your collaborations.

Too often we as fans get wrapped up in criticism(myself included) and not enough in appreciation for the work that creator's do.

I met George Perez in person once and I've thanked him so many times. I just want to take time to thank you and remember the joy that both you and George gave me as an Avengers fan.
    I want to also second this sentiment. Your and Mr. Perez's work on Avengers made me an Avengers fan. I met Mr. Perez at the NYCC years ago and found him to be humble and down to Earth.

Again, thank you both for a lot of good years of stories.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Allow me to add to that sentiment. I don't know if you two were close, outside of work, but my condolences. It's been a rough year for our industry, but I hope you and all the other pro's out there know how much your work and effort means to us, even when we're bitching and whining.

The first issue of Avengers I ever bought was from you guys' run. It was the end of an arc I think, and just a random issue I pulled off the shelf because the cover caught my eye. Had no idea what was going on or who half the roster was, but I enjoyed the quality of the craft anyway. Looking back, a lot of my Marvel fandom started with that issue. I've asked you a few questions in this thread here and there, but I don't think I ever thanked you for your work on that run. So...a very belated thank you, good sir. To you and the great Mr. Perez both.

Man, I don't know how many comics I bought just because a Perez cover caught my eye...quite a few, I'm sure.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Oddly enough, I’m in the same boat. I got into comics with Transformers (which were so much better than the cartoon, in my opinion), but the only other comic I was into was Fantastic Four, which I started with Walt Simonson. Then I got into X-Men big time, as well as New Warriors and GOTG (those little annual crossovers did their job, as I got into new titles because of them!). I didn’t really touch Avengers until Onslaught (because it was an X-Event) and only got Heroes Reborn because… it was new and different. I thought it was boring and when Heroes Return came out, I was only going to get the first issues and just stick with FF after that… but the Busiek/Perez Avengers reeled me in.. hook, line, and sinker. Iron Man as well. It made me love the book enough to collect back issues and delve into the history. I appreciate all of the work you guys did.

Started with transformers, gijoe and he-man mini comics also. Then kid next door showed me a comic with a rock guy and flame guy on the cover and a was hooked. Fantastic four was my big non ip start!

First comic was transformers issue 1 and he-man ram man mini comic.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks, Marvell, and the others who also offered kind words.

I appreciate the sentiments and I'm glad you liked the books. George and I had a terrific time making them, and I'll always be glad I had the chance to know him, and the work with him.

kdb

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

I know I am late to this but I want to Add My Sentiment to this Very Well Put Post Marvell2100, You said what has been on allot of our minds about the Recent passing of George and what both George and Kurt gave to our community.

I can't underscore how much your Tag Team of Avengers Vol. 3 was one of the most signifant runs I have ever been apart of. I Quote it often and it is responsible greatly for getting me back into comics and bring me back to being a Scarlet Witch Fan again!

The Thank Yous and Appreciation will never End with the Both of you with what you did for SO Many of Us here and I know around the Comic Book and Pop Culture World!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Oh WOW, just saw this thread. Thank You Mr. Busiek for all your amazing work and contributions over the years to the world of comics and superheroes. I loved your run on Avengers especially with the amazing George Perez, who will be forever immortalized for his amazing talent. I so wish you could write a Scarlet Witch solo or else a team book with her as one of the forefront characters. Both you and Geoff Johns wrote her with depth and heart and brought her character to great heights. Would love to see that happen again and pull her from the wreckage started by Byrne -which you brought her back from- and reignited in such an awful and unimaginative way by Bendis. You would be amazing to continue the work of Darkhold and TOM in restoring Wanda's storyline.

BANNED

Mr. Busiek, I just read that you'll be contributing a story to Amazing Fantasy#1000, as part of Spider-Man's 60th anniversary celebrations.

Without spoiling anything, can you perhaps give us a tease? Is it a return to the 'Untold Tales' setting, or is it something a bit more contemporary?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Mr. Busiek, I just read that you'll be contributing a story to Amazing Fantasy#1000, as part of Spider-Man's 60th anniversary celebrations.
    It's true!

Without spoiling anything, can you perhaps give us a tease? Is it a return to the 'Untold Tales' setting, or is it something a bit more contemporary?
    I'm not sure how that couldn't count as spoiling something.

I'm going to let Marvel announce stuff on this. I'll just say that the artist I'm working with is (a) not someone I've worked with before, (b) terrific, and (c) someone I've wanted to work with for over 25 years.

kdb

BANNED

I'm not sure how that couldn't count as spoiling something.
    Heh, sorry about that, I'm just very excited for your contribution!

I'm going to let Marvel announce stuff on this. I'll just say that the artist I'm working with is (a) not someone I've worked with before, (b) terrific, and (c) someone I've wanted to work with for over 25 years.

kdb
    That's as good a tease as any, looking forward to the collaboration, and welcome back to the wall crawler