Page 9 of 74 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Kurt Busiek

Quote Originally Posted by IfThisBemyDestiny View Post
    Do you go over to some of the character appreciation threads on these boards and read the comments and think "Oh for god's sake the writers and editors are not deliberately trying to screw over your favorite character!" or is their paranoia justified in some cases?
    I don't usually see much of those threads. But in my experience, nobody's deliberately setting out to screw over your favorite character.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Any plans on working for Marvel anytime soon?
    No current plans for that; I'm concentrating on creator-owned work at present.

kdb

Any plans for any work for IDW?

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Any plans for any work for IDW?
    I just did a story (with Gene Ha) for the 2014 HERO COMICS anthology, which Scott Dunbier put together to fundraise for the Hero Initiative.

kdb

Kurt what is your views on editing at the higher levels, would you ever consider a top editing job for one of the big companies?

Any more Kirby Genesis type stuff on tap?

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    Kurt what is your views on editing at the higher levels, would you ever consider a top editing job for one of the big companies?
    I don't think so, unless for some reason I couldn't write any more.

I like to write much more than I like to edit, and I'm better at it.

Any more Kirby Genesis type stuff on tap?
    Not at present; I'm trying to concentrate on creator-owned work.

kdb

Should DC/Marvel go back to bi-monthly and quarterly comics and also if certain comics not selling,stop for a while and come back to it only if their are good stories (whether 2;10;20 issues arc stories)?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    I don't usually see much of those threads. But in my experience, nobody's deliberately setting out to screw over your favorite character.

kdb
    Maybe not deliberately, but when I think of what Bendis did to Wanda and Tigra it's hard not to believe that he didn't do it deliberately. I'm willing to accept callous indifference and ignorance of the characters history and powers though.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanStar View Post
    Should DC/Marvel go back to bi-monthly and quarterly comics and also if certain comics not selling,stop for a while and come back to it only if their are good stories (whether 2;10;20 issues arc stories)?
    That's a decision that should be made by people at the publishing level, who see the sales numbers. If making a series bi-monthly would boost the sales, then sure -- but if it makes the sales drop (as was the case back when I was in sales), it's not such a good idea.

But didn't Marvel just publish a series -- HAWKEYE -- that was irregularly published and lasted somewhere around 20 issues?

kdb

BANNED

What do you think is the best comic to read for Halloween?

Hi Mr Busiek.

You've written titles with large ensemble casts(Avengers, Astro City) as well as solo titles(Iron Man). What would you say are the challenges of writing each?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    What do you think is the best comic to read for Halloween?
    There's such a long tradition of horror and urban fantasy in comics that I'd think you're spoiled for choice, from Marv Wolfman & Gene Colan's TOMB OF DRACULA to Mike Mignola's HELLBOY to random issues of VAMPIRELLA to SANDMAN and on and on.

But I don't think there's any one best choice...it depends on what sort of thing you like.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Hi Mr Busiek.

You've written titles with large ensemble casts(Avengers, Astro City) as well as solo titles(Iron Man). What would you say are the challenges of writing each?
    The more characters there are, the more work it is to choreograph the story so that everyone gets to do something that matters and demonstrates their character, pretty much. But I don't think of that as a challenge -- it's sometimes easier to do that a solo character book, because doing all those moments fills up the pages nicely. By the time you're done giving everyone something to do, you're on to the next scene. Choreographing drama for a smaller cast means you can go deeper into their psyche and spend more time on them, but it also means you'd better come up with something worth the space.

One of the many things I like about working on a book like ASTRO CITY is that it's not an ensemble cast so much as an anthology, so I may find myself writing a very small cast one issue and a large cast the next. I like the variety.

kdb

That's a decision that should be made by people at the publishing level, who see the sales numbers. If making a series bi-monthly would boost the sales, then sure -- but if it makes the sales drop (as was the case back when I was in sales), it's not such a good idea.

But didn't Marvel just publish a series -- HAWKEYE -- that was irregularly published and lasted somewhere around 20 issues?

kdb
    Can't say,never read it.

There's such a long tradition of horror and urban fantasy in comics that I'd think you're spoiled for choice, from Marv Wolfman & Gene Colan's TOMB OF DRACULA to Mike Mignola's HELLBOY to random issues of VAMPIRELLA to SANDMAN and on and on.

But I don't think there's any one best choice...it depends on what sort of thing you like.

kdb

How about VAMPS or/and Books of Magic?