Page 702 of 885 FirstFirst ... 202602652692698699700701702703704705706712752802 ... LastLast
Results 10,516 to 10,530 of 13267

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I think it was also a case of popularity... I was a HUGE fan of WWF during those years, but knew nothing at all about WCW and NWA. So yeah, the reference went right by me... but I was still a huge fan of WWF.

To me, wrestling WAS Comics. Overly muscled guys in spandex... Good versus Evil... Flashy names and violent combat... They were live action superheroes. Hulk Hogan vs Undertaker, Macho Man vs. Jake the Snake Roberts... Ultimate Warrior vs... anyone. And who can forget Blue Blazer in the most super heroey costume of them all...

yeah, I saw a LOT of overlap between comic fans and wrestling fans.
    I have southern roots, so I was watching WWF, & WCW/NWA. My grandmother's favorite wrestlers were Dusty Rhodes, and Ric Flair.

I can't help but compare Undertaker with Batman, two guys who thrive on theatricality, darkness, & head games.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think it was a somewhat known fact that Blue Blazer was Owen Hart, but that was pre-internet days, so I can see why mostly hardcore fans would've known about it back then, rather than the casual masses.

Wrestling's fun and I totally agree about the comparison between the wrestling audience and the comic fandom. Both niche audiences where the majority of the outside world saw their hobby as a joke, until superhero movies became the biggest thing in Hollywood or people like The Rock became one of the highest paid actors in the industry.
    In the 1990s, I did not know Owen was the Blue Blazer until he revived the gimmick before his untimely death. I literally had to dig into my old wrestling tapes from the 1980s to verify.

World's greatest detective....I'm not.

Extraordinary Member

Back to the Four Horsemen:

Hal = Ric Flair

Both have money problems, and spend way too much time on their hair.

Guy = Arn Anderson

Kyle = Tully Blanchard

John = Ole Anderson? Lex Luger? Barry Windham?

A lot of people don't like John for the same reasons folks did not like Lex (plus we have the tragedy with Liz & Kat).

It was much easier comparing these guys to the DBZ characters which many of us did a long time ago.

Naturally, all this is my opinion.

John could be JJ Dillon too, given the leader/manager status.

I didn't get the part about Lex though. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but what are those reasons? I mean a good number of people consider John to be their favorite GL, while I've never heard anyone point to Luger as their favorite Horseman.

Nice to see DC getting in on the Funk animated fun .

It's also cool seeing Hal and John double-teaming Zox, though John in a domino mask feels weird...

I thought the Four Corpsmen thing was stupid enough, but now knowing it's a wrestling reference and to see this thread highjacked by it just makes me hate it more...

Extraordinary Member

John could be JJ Dillon too, given the leader/manager status.

I didn't get the part about Lex though. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but what are those reasons? I mean a good number of people consider John to be their favorite GL, while I've never heard anyone point to Luger as their favorite Horseman.
    I would think Ganthet fits the JJ role.

One of the knocks against Lex was that he was too serious. He was never overly charismatic, and some felt he was standoffish. With his over the top comic book build, yet having a centered personality, it was easier to boo him. Vince wanted to put Lex over post Hogan, but did not think he had enough personality. Many felt he worked better as a heel than a face. I often read a lot of GL fans feel the same way about John.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I have southern roots, so I was watching WWF, & WCW/NWA. My grandmother's favorite wrestlers were Dusty Rhodes, and Ric Flair.

I can't help but compare Undertaker with Batman, two guys who thrive on theatricality, darkness, & head games.
    Hey buddy! That's The American Dream Dusty Rhodes! Tell it like it T-I-is!

I'm doing my Dusty Rhodes impersonation right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Back to the Four Horsemen:

Hal = Ric Flair

Both have money problems, and spend way too much time on their hair.

Guy = Arn Anderson

Kyle = Tully Blanchard

John = Ole Anderson? Lex Luger? Barry Windham?

A lot of people don't like John for the same reasons folks did not like Lex (plus we have the tragedy with Liz & Kat).

It was much easier comparing these guys to the DBZ characters which many of us did a long time ago.

Naturally, all this is my opinion.
    Do not dare insult the great Ric Flair by equating him with Hal Jordan.

If anything, Hal is like Ricky Steamboat. Always seeking the fans approval only to get hit in the back of the head with a chair while waving at the crowd.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I thought the Four Corpsmen thing was stupid enough, but now knowing it's a wrestling reference and to see this thread highjacked by it just makes me hate it more...
    i had to re-check if i was in hal's thread or somehow got in wwe's forum.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    i had to re-check if i was in hal's thread or somehow got in wwe's forum.
    Not even remotely being a fan of sports this thread has lost my interest. Maybe moving back to actual Green Lantern would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Do not dare insult the great Ric Flair by equating him with Hal Jordan.
    Well, Hal is indeed a jet flying, kiss stealing son of a gun, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    If anything, Hal is like Ricky Steamboat. Always seeking the fans approval only to get hit in the back of the head with a chair while waving at the crowd.
    No, that's more like Guy.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-05-2018 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    Not even remotely being a fan of sports this thread has lost my interest. Maybe moving back to actual Green Lantern would help.
    Point taken.

Astonishing Member

Point taken.

Hal definitely fits the profile of a thrill junkie. He always has to take things just that bit further than is necessary.