Page 115 of 232 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125165215 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 3469

Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Addict View Post
    Alright, so I read through all of Civil War since this post, including the tie ins. Here's where I stand.

Going in, I expected to pretty much hate Tony coming out of CW. I heard he did some awful stuff so I was a little biased. Through the first few issues, this was still the case. But, as the war went on and I got a better look at Tony's mindset and reasoning, I really started to understand him and sympathize with him.

Tony did the best he could. Several times during the war, it was pointed out that "going back to the good old days" was not on the table. Change was inevitable and Tony felt that he needed too to step up and compromise with the government. If not, they likely would have banned all superheroes entirely. Without Tony's actions, the superheroes would have been much worse off.

Then, you look at what Tony actually did. Several times, he tried to reason with Cap, meeting with him at Avengers Mansion and Yankee Stadium, two of my favorite scenes in the war. Steve's forces broke up the second attempt at negotiation. At another point, Tony offered Steve his hand and Steve put the electron scrambler in it. Tony was, in a lot of ways, consistently the more reasonable of the two throughout the war. Tony winds up helping Aunt May after she is shot, despite feeling so betrayed by Peter's actions.

I also am touched by Tony's emotions. The way I read it, nothing he did was for himself. In fact, he hated every second of it. He knew that most, if not all, of his friends would hate him for his actions. To many people, he would not be a true "hero" anymore. Tony lost two of his very best friends, Happy and Steve, and he pushed on because he knew he was right.

I wound up disliking Cap a lot more than I felt anything negative towards Tony. Cap was being naive and, I would argue, blindly stubborn. Tony even pointed out that Steve wasn't seeing the world for the complicated place that it is. Cap fought on a lot longer than he should have and he refused to truly consider any alternatives because they didn't mesh with his principles. I would say that a lot of the things that go wrong/the bad things that happen in CW can be blamed on Cap.

Tony is not guilt free. But he's not a monster or a villain for what he did and I definitely don't hate him or even dislike him for what he did. I'm reading the aftermath now (I read Planet Hulk and now I'm onto The Initiative.)
    I'm glad you liked it. Now you see where Tony was coming from. Tony did some bad things during Civil War, but he was on the right side. Not agreeing with some of the things he did though. Tony tried talking with Steve, but he wanted none of it. Imagine if Tony didn't take the lead. The heroes would have been fighting the government. Soldiers, cops, etc. Now you can see the whole picture and again glad you enjoyed it. When you read about Tony in Planet Hulk and The Initiative come back and let us know how you feel about it.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 02-21-2018 at 09:21 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

With Civil War I think both men within with noble intentions for what they believed in but neither came out like that both Tony and Steve crossed lines and put their fellow heroes lives at risk because they wanted to win IMO. Now I will say Tony's sins are shared with Reed and Hank and not solely his fault while Steve's are his alone.

Civil War II Tony was right from start to finish period.

"We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I'm glad you liked it. Now you see where Tony's was coming from. Tony did some bad things during Civil War, but he was on the right side. Not agreeing with some of the things he did though. Tony tried talking with Steve, but he wanted none of it. Imagine if Tony didn't take the lead. The heroes would have been fighting the government. Soldiers, cops, etc. Now you can see the whole picture and again glad you enjoyed it. When you read about Tony in Planet Hulk and The Initiative come back and let us know how you feel about it.
    I loved it. It hooked me from the get-go. Tony was on the right side and, like you, I don't agree with everything he did. But Tony did the best he could and it could have been so much worse.

I read Planet Hulk. It's another complicated issue. On a personal level, I disagree with his actions/the actions of the others on so many levels. They betrayed Banner, screwing him over literally seconds after he saved the world from Godseye. Was that truly their only remaining option? At one point, Amadeus questions why they didn't just leave him alone entirely. That *might* have worked. IMO Banner deserved the benefit of the doubt; they should have just let him be by himself. But then you think, maybe he could have Hulked out for some reason or another, so he was a danger to others anyway. As seen in the Illuminati one shot, Reed, Tony, Xavier, and even Doctor Strange had all tried their very best to cure Banner and they couldn't.

So while I personally really don't like Tony and Co.'s actions by betraying Banner like that, I can understand them and the reasoning behind it.

I'll be back with my input on his Initiative actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    With Civil War I think both men within with noble intentions for what they believed in but neither came out like that both Tony and Steve crossed lines and put their fellow heroes lives at risk because they wanted to win IMO. Now I will say Tony's sins are shared with Reed and Hank and not solely his fault while Steve's are his alone.

Civil War II Tony was right from start to finish period.
    Agreed. But the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Neither were able to really execute those good intentions. As we saw in one of their conversations, there was definitely a personal side to this, at least for Tony. He always felt inferior to Steve and he wanted to prove that he was better. That is an interesting way to look at it. Tony basically had a triumvirate with Reed and Hank. (Especially Reed.) Those two shared the blame for most of their side's actions. I would argue that Cap was pretty much alone in that regard.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Alright, so I read through all of Civil War since this post, including the tie ins. Here's where I stand.

Going in, I expected to pretty much hate Tony coming out of CW. I heard he did some awful stuff so I was a little biased. Through the first few issues, this was still the case. But, as the war went on and I got a better look at Tony's mindset and reasoning, I really started to understand him and sympathize with him.

Tony did the best he could. Several times during the war, it was pointed out that "going back to the good old days" was not on the table. Change was inevitable and Tony felt that he needed too to step up and compromise with the government. If not, they likely would have banned all superheroes entirely. Without Tony's actions, the superheroes would have been much worse off.

Then, you look at what Tony actually did. Several times, he tried to reason with Cap, meeting with him at Avengers Mansion and Yankee Stadium, two of my favorite scenes in the war. Steve's forces broke up the second attempt at negotiation. At another point, Tony offered Steve his hand and Steve put the electron scrambler in it. Tony was, in a lot of ways, consistently the more reasonable of the two throughout the war. Tony winds up helping Aunt May after she is shot, despite feeling so betrayed by Peter's actions.

I also am touched by Tony's emotions. The way I read it, nothing he did was for himself. In fact, he hated every second of it. He knew that most, if not all, of his friends would hate him for his actions. To many people, he would not be a true "hero" anymore. Tony lost two of his very best friends, Happy and Steve, and he pushed on because he knew he was right.

I wound up disliking Cap a lot more than I felt anything negative towards Tony. Cap was being naive and, I would argue, blindly stubborn. Tony even pointed out that Steve wasn't seeing the world for the complicated place that it is. Cap fought on a lot longer than he should have and he refused to truly consider any alternatives because they didn't mesh with his principles. I would say that a lot of the things that go wrong/the bad things that happen in CW can be blamed on Cap.

Tony is not guilt free. But he's not a monster or a villain for what he did and I definitely don't hate him or even dislike him for what he did. I'm reading the aftermath now (I read Planet Hulk and now I'm onto The Initiative.)
    Really glad you read the whole story and took the time to digest. Too many readers have knee-jerk reactions to Tony and are ready to label him a villain. If you compare how Tony was written in his own series to how he was portrayed outside of his own series, you'll see a stark contrast.

Event writing today means that characters will be written ooc in order to fit the story. Tony is one of the biggest victims of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Really glad you read the whole story and took the time to digest. Too many readers have knee-jerk reactions to Tony and are ready to label him a villain. If you compare how Tony was written in his own series to how he was portrayed outside of his own series, you'll see a stark contrast.

Event writing today means that characters will be written ooc in order to fit the story. Tony is one of the biggest victims of this.

I enjoyed this pun, haha.

I really did chew on it for a bit. I didn't want to hop into this thread and give my two cents right after I finished it. I thought it over. Tony's solo series, and various other books, showed exactly that: he didn't suddenly become a villain or a monster or anything.

I really wish that wasn't the case in terms of forcing characters to fit the story. You can see this with Reed Richards in Civil War, too. Events would be so much better if characters kept true to their nature as much as possible. Sure, people will change in response to things. But molding the character to fit the story...? I hope writers move away from that.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Jason Aaron and Sara Pichelli’s Avengers for Free Comic Book Day 2018

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02...book-day-2018/

I think that's the wrong helmet .

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Jason Aaron and Sara Pichelli’s Avengers for Free Comic Book Day 2018

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02...book-day-2018/
    Thanks for sharing this. Gotta make sure to get a copy.

I enjoyed this pun, haha.

I really did chew on it for a bit. I didn't want to hop into this thread and give my two cents right after I finished it. I thought it over. Tony's solo series, and various other books, showed exactly that: he didn't suddenly become a villain or a monster or anything.

I really wish that wasn't the case in terms of forcing characters to fit the story. You can see this with Reed Richards in Civil War, too. Events would be so much better if characters kept true to their nature as much as possible. Sure, people will change in response to things. But molding the character to fit the story...? I hope writers move away from that.
    You went and got all the information and made your judgement. Some of the bad things I could never see Tony doing, but their were some I can very much see him doing.

Agreed. But the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Neither were able to really execute those good intentions. As we saw in one of their conversations, there was definitely a personal side to this, at least for Tony. He always felt inferior to Steve and he wanted to prove that he was better. That is an interesting way to look at it. Tony basically had a triumvirate with Reed and Hank. (Especially Reed.) Those two shared the blame for most of their side's actions. I would argue that Cap was pretty much alone in that regard.
    All the bad stuff Reed did during the Civil War got passed over like he did nothing. The fans and the characters gave him a pass. All the blame went on Tony. I think Skrull Pym had a lot to do with it as well. Tony toke the brunt for Civil War, WWH, the aftermath of the events all pinned on Tony's shoulders and he didn't shy away from it.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 02-22-2018 at 01:39 AM.

BANNED

That & Front Line all but making him an Arms Dealer that was going to start a Civil War with Atlantis for some reason.......but quite frankly everyone in Front Line was awful & best left forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1107 View Post
    That & Front Line all but making him an Arms Dealer that was going to start a Civil War with Atlantis for some reason.......but quite frankly everyone in Front Line was awful & best left forgotten.
    True that.

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #600
    BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W) • STEFANO CASELLI, ALEX MALEEV & MORE (A)
    WRAPAROUND Cover by CHRIS SPROUSE
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    VARIANT COVER BY ALEX ROSS
    VIRGIN COVER VARIANT COVER BY ALEX ROSS
    REMASTERED VARIANT COVER BY JOHN ROMITA JR.
    BLACK AND WHITE REMASTERED VARIANT COVER BY JOHN ROMITA JR.
    BLANK VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
    BRIAN BENDIS ENDS HIS MARVEL TENURE WITH THIS VERY SPECIAL OVERSIZED ANNIVERSARY ISSUE!
    Tony Stark is back, but in what form? At least five huge surprises await new and old fans alike. Industry legend Brian Michael Bendis drops his final Marvel Comic to end an era, and he’s going out big! This super-sized anniversary extravaganza features artistic contributions from a bevy of Bendis’ collaborators from over the years, including Jim Cheung, David Marquez, Mike Deodato Jr., Mark Bagley, Leinil Francis Yu, Daniel Acuña and a few other surprises! All this and a huge new villain arises! And the futures of Tony, Riri Williams and Victor Von Doom are all revealed!
    56 PGS./Rated T+ …$5.99

AVENGERS #1
    Written by JASON AARON • Penciled by ED MCGUINNESS
    Cover by ED MCGUINNESS
    VIRGIN COVER VARIANT COVER BY ED MCGUINNESS
    Variant cover by Esad Ribic
    Party & Party Sketch Variant Cover by Greg Land
    PREMIERE VARIANT BY ED MCGUINNESS
    Young Gun Variant Cover by Aaron Kuder
    Blank Variant Cover Also Available
    A NEW ERA DAWNS FOR EARTH’S MIGHTIEST HEROES –
    courtesy of JASON AARON and ED McGUINNESS!
    Thor Odinson. Steve Rogers. Tony Stark. The Big Three of the Avengers are reunited at last! And just in time to save the world from total annihilation at the hands of their most powerful enemies yet: the 2000-foot-tall space gods known as Celestials.
    Behold the coming of the Final Host.
    Who will answer the call to assemble for a wild new era of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes? Hint: one of them has a flaming skull for a head. And what strange, world-shaking connection exists between the Final Host and Odin’s ancient band of Prehistoric Avengers?
    40 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

AVENGERS #2
    Written by JASON AARON • Penciled by ED MCGUINNESS
    Cover by ED MCGUINNESS
    VIRGIN COVER VARIANT BY ED MCGUINNESS
    Variant Cover by David Marquez
    • Black Panther and Dr. Strange battle for their lives deep within the earth…
    • Captain Marvel battles death and destruction raining down from the skies…
    • …while Thor, Iron Man and Captain America lead the valiant (yet hopeless) fight against the Final Host of Dark Celestials.
    • And Ghost Rider and the Savage Hulk make brutal war against…each other?
    • Plus, you can’t have a gathering of Avengers without a certain Prince of Lies, now can you?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

HUNT FOR WOLVERINE: ADAMANTIUM AGENDA #1 (of 4)

TOM TAYLOR (W) • RB SILVA (A)
    Cover by GREG LAND
    Variant Cover by RB SILVA
    CONNECTING WHERE’S WOLVERINE VARIANT COVER BY TODD NAUCK (2 of 4)
    SNIKT! A SOUND THAT ONCE MADE BLOOD RUN COLD, WHICH THE AVENGERS WANT TO ENSURE IS NEVER USED FOR EVIL AGAIN.
    Due to a promise made between heroes, the NEW AVENGERS have reassembled to make sure Logan’s body isn’t misused. IRON MAN, SPIDER-MAN, JESSICA JONES and LUKE CAGE discover a deep-state conspiracy that leads to a shocking DNA discovery and metallurgic miracle in the MARVEL UNIVERSE.
    32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99