Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default CBR's Top 100 Comics of 2014: #100 - 76

CBR's year-end tradition returns! The first quarter of the CBR Top 100 Comics of 2014 reveals a diverse lineup selected by the site's contributors.

Full article here.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Oh great, now I got step it up and get to work on my list to cash in on the Best of the Year lists hype an stuff...

But in all seriousness, let's look here... Hmm... Nailbiter and Shutter, while decent, seem a bit too high on this list. They're not bad, but they aren't the stuff of legends honestly. Also, they rank better than Sandman: Overtune, Wonder Woman, Trees, and Supreme: Blue Rose? Well alright then.
    Last edited by InformationGeek; 12-26-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Spectacular Member

I'm surprised to see things like Hellboy, Sandman, Blue Rose, and Tooth and Claw land in the bottom fourth of the list. Does this mean that we're patting the old guard on the head before we argue about the younger creators? Does this mean we're blowing off the auteur comics before we quibble about the latest iterations of X-Men and Batman?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptid View Post
    I'm surprised to see things like Hellboy, Sandman, Blue Rose, and Tooth and Claw land in the bottom fourth of the list. Does this mean that we're patting the old guard on the head before we argue about the younger creators? Does this mean we're blowing off the auteur comics before we quibble about the latest iterations of X-Men and Batman?
    I doubt it. Sure, Snyder's Batman will definitely be higher up, but I'm suspecting we'll see a lot of more Indie comics down the road. Last year there were a ton of them in the higher ranks... despite their questionable positions (like Pretty Deadly and Rocket Girl being in the Top 30 for some reason). so yeah, I don't think you have to worry about the "auteur" comics getting the shaft. I think a lot of reviewers tend to eat those up more than superhero comics.

Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptid View Post
    Considering there are 75 more comics to reveal, plus an honorable mention list of comics that received votes and didn't make the Top 100, let's not start predicting conspiracies that don't exist.

These lists should be viewed as a suggested reading list. There are plenty of good comics to check out here. While you may have your favorites, just because they don't align with your own personal rankings doesn't invalidate anything. Engage in healthy, fun debate. Learn about some new comics you may not have read before. Campaign for the books you wish were higher and hope to see in upcoming reveals.
    Last edited by Jonah Weiland; 12-26-2014 at 01:52 PM.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

I'm going to bet it was missed (because it was missed in the 2013, 2012, and 2011 list), but someone on this site really needs to sit down and read Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye from start to finish. Roberts and Milne are writing and drawing their hearts out and creating a Transformers run that is on par with Hama's GI Joe run. It is one of the best Sci-Fi runs currently running.

i don't think he was calling anything a conspiracy.

Just that Mignola, Busiek, Ellis, and Gaiman, who have been in comics for 30 years, are rather on the low end.

Its ok to speculate on whether the "old masters" have been usurped, no?

Just The Sandman: Overture for me from this list, this year.

Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    i don't think he was calling anything a conspiracy.

Just that Mignola, Busiek, Ellis, and Gaiman, who have been in comics for 30 years, are rather on the low end.

Its ok to speculate on whether the "old masters" have been usurped, no?
    Not when the full list hasn't been revealed yet. I can tell you Busiek shows up again on the list and there are a number of "old masters," as you call them, that are represented higher up on the list. I prefer the term veteran comics creator, myself.

Don't forget, there's still 75 comics yet to be revealed!
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

I'll use this list to try out some comics that I probably overlooked. Supreme: Blue Rose looks interesting.

BANNED

If I would've known that Paul Kupperberg was writing Life With Archie, then I would have given it a shot. A lot of these book I haven't heard of like Black Science, Murder INC (which I will try because I love Bendis) & Nailbiter. I hope to see Spread on here.

6 out of the first lot of 25 are on my pull list (Tooth & Claw, Sandman: Overture, Stumptown, Fables, Hellboy in Hell, Nailbiter). Tried a couple of others but they didn't grab me (Trees, Black Science) and I refuse to buy anything from Bendis/Icon in singles anymore as the gap between issues is dire.

Wonder Woman is 91? ............uhm wut?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    If I would've known that Paul Kupperberg was writing Life With Archie, then I would have given it a shot. A lot of these book I haven't heard of like Black Science, Murder INC (which I will try because I love Bendis) & Nailbiter. I hope to see Spread on here.
    Nailbiter is an awesome book - probably my favorite out of the ones on the list that I've tried - unlike the commenter above I do think it's better than Trees and any of the super-hero comics on the list from the big two. A must read it if you like creepy horror. But like you, I haven't heard of a lot of them on the list and I think I'm going to have to check out Shutter & Doctors from it.

Quote Originally Posted by CommentDeleted View Post
    Wonder Woman is 91? ............uhm wut?
    I thought Wonder Woman was the best series to come out of the new 52 and over the past three years.
    But the last year, it did rush to a finish (after dragging along the year before).
    Not sure 91 is good or bad, just feel it was not among the top 25 for 2014 and
    the first two issues of the Finches did more damage than anything toward the book for 2014 (imho).

Sure I would have liked to see the book get into the top 30, but looking back on all the other titles that came out
    and the way Wonder Woman was underwhelming (again imho) in Azzarello's finale year and Finches start, I
    personally would not have placed this book in the top 25. Even at D C Comics, were Wonder Woman was the clear winner
    for the first two years, even there she dropped down with many D C titles stepping up there game and new writers
    taking over books (new and old) to give some of the best stories the new 52 has had since its inception (imho).