Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Za Is No Leader View Post
    Pretty much. My hope is that after this first arc, his supporting cast and rogues gallery is set up a bit. I understand using the mainstays for the opening arc, but if you want staying power, they're gonna have to give us something that isn't rooted so deeply with Steve. This is why I think a new Cap and Falcon book would work as an alternative if an ongoing doesn't. They just can't make him look like a sidekick. More Lethal Weapon would be the best route.
    Yeah, if they can't give us a solo Falcon then Cap/Falcon is the next best thing. They could do more emphasis on Sam, perhaps a few solo missions/stories and definitely create villains specifically for him.

falcon could easily be his own man if they changed him some. get rid of the wings, but keep the power to talk with pigeons. get rid of the super-hero motiff and make him more of a super spy. there are plenty of espionage solos for people without powers. basically, falcon just needs to get back to basics if marvel were serious about making him successful.

Extraordinary Member

There are so many holes in whatever plot lead him to being some hybrid of Falcon and Captain America that it actually leaves a lot of room for him to showcase his own character. If Marvel can handle it correctly it just might leave more people knowing enough about him to want to see more stories that are about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yeah, if they can't give us a solo Falcon then Cap/Falcon is the next best thing. They could do more emphasis on Sam, perhaps a few solo missions/stories and definitely create villains specifically for him.
    They could go the Green Lantern/Green Arrow route. Which I think was the perfect balance of a team-up book.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    falcon could easily be his own man if they changed him some. get rid of the wings, but keep the power to talk with pigeons. get rid of the super-hero motiff and make him more of a super spy. there are plenty of espionage solos for people without powers. basically, falcon just needs to get back to basics if marvel were serious about making him successful.
    That would make him a generic spy who talks to birds. Why get rid of all things that set him apart? He'd essentially be Bucky but with bird speak. I don't know.

That would make him a generic spy who talks to birds. Why get rid of all things that set him apart? He'd essentially be Bucky but with bird speak. I don't know.
    well, it's better than being a substitute captain america or a superhero with a goofy power.

well, it's better than being a substitute captain america or a superhero with a goofy power.
    Nothing is worse than being generic. As for goofy powers, big deal. Tons of mutants have goofy powers and they're still awesome. Sam should be able to shine as himself regardless of what code name he goes by and costume he wears. Stripping him of his uniqueness and making him spy #276 would be pointless.

It's not Sam's powers or lack thereof that's a problem. Sam can and should be shown to be pretty bad ass with the skill set he has. They just haven't done enough of it. Brubaker's Sam was a competent, capable fighter who more than held his own. They can't just have Sam show up and take orders from Steve or anyone else all the time.

Nothing is worse than being generic. As for goofy powers, big deal. Tons of mutants have goofy powers and they're still awesome. Sam should be able to shine as himself regardless of what code name he goes by and costume he wears. Stripping him of his uniqueness and making him spy #276 would be pointless.
    it would make him more like his movie counterpart which audiences seemed to respond to quite well. maybe he can have his wings for special occasions. and let's be honest, it isn't like he has found much solo success the way he's been presented.

BANNED

There's probably more birds in the world than there are people, and they're everywhere. It's not exactly planet-nuking powers, or maybe even the flashiest, but it's definitely handy. As is the ability to fly.

I agree. Black Widow, Bucky and Mockingbird are perfect examples spies with no superhuman powers who are doing quite well. You really don't need to change Sam's abilities or give him an armored suit that shoot's lasers, throws up force field's or fires plasma cannons.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    There's probably more birds in the world than there are people, and they're everywhere. It's not exactly planet-nuking powers, or maybe even the flashiest, but it's definitely handy. As is the ability to fly.
    exactly. and if we are being logical, falcon shouldn't only be limited to birds. in fact, i don't believe he is. in hickman's first avenger arc, he had falcon controlling alien animals on mars. theoretically, he should be able to connect with all the animals.

it would make him more like his movie counterpart which audiences seemed to respond to quite well. maybe he can have his wings for special occasions. and let's be honest, it isn't like he has found much solo success the way he's been presented.
    His flight/wings plays a big part in why he was received so well. Audiences hadn't seen that type of flight in a movie before and it was refreshing. I will say that the costume needs to be tweaked in a fashion that doesn't put people off. For some reason Sam's costume has never been a winner with readers. If they do go espionage route keep the wings and the communication though. That's what will set him apart from other secret agents. Having him just be a generic guy with a gun who occasionally busts out a gadget (wings) just makes him a James Bond rip-off. We have plenty of those. And like Marvel2100 is saying, they need to show Sam doing more and prove that he's capable and not just a yes man or sidekick.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I agree. Black Widow, Bucky and Mockingbird are perfect examples spies with no superhuman powers who are doing quite well. You really don't need to change Sam's abilities or give him an armored suit that shoot's lasers, throws up force field's or fires plasma cannons.
    Couldn't agree more.

exactly. and if we are being logical, falcon shouldn't only be limited to birds. in fact, i don't believe he is. in hickman's first avenger arc, he had falcon controlling alien animals on mars. theoretically, he should be able to connect with all the animals.
    I believe he was able to communicate with other bird like animals, not all animals. He's not Animal Man. lol.

i think it's just a lack of imagination or effort that he doesn't talk to other animals.

BANNED

I don't know about all animals. The ones on Mars were birds...of a sort. Probably similar enough on the evolutionary scale that they fell under his domain.

I don't know if he'll ever be iconic, but that can be said of a lot of characters. Best you can do is get them exposure and keep your fingers crossed. If you're lucky, if the timing is right and all the pieces fall together neatly, you get something special.