Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    I don't know about all animals. The ones on Mars were birds...of a sort. Probably similar enough on the evolutionary scale that they fell under his domain.

I don't know if he'll ever be iconic, but that can be said of a lot of characters. Best you can do is get them exposure and keep your fingers crossed. If you're lucky, if the timing is right and all the pieces fall together neatly, you get something special.
    That's really the best you can hope for. As long as he keeps having meaningful appearances, there opportunity is always there, whether he's Captain America or Falcon.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i think it's just a lack of imagination or effort that he doesn't talk to other animals.
    Or it's just his power and you don't care for it. His power to communicate with only birds came from the Cosmic Cube. The idea was that he could control and communicate birds and birds alone. No one is saying you have to like Falcon and by that he doesn't need to be changed just for you to like him. The character, as far as his abilities, are fine. It's everything else that needs to be examined and reevaluated.

I mean, you wouldn't ask DC to make Aquaman have the ability to speak to all manner of animals just because you don't like that it's only sea life. That's nonsense.

iirc aquaman has spoken to other life that isn't in the sea and even commented on how ridiculous it is to be limited in such a fashion.

Sam isn't king of the surface world either though. Communicating with birds or other forms of avian life is enough.

BANNED

Sam's powers are fine. The characters whole stick was that he was a normal man who could keep up with a "super" man in terms of human potential. That he was the equal if not at times the better of a guy who embodied all the greates aspects of a Man. The communication to every bird on the planet thing didn't even come about until the late 90's early 00's of the characters history. In short he doesn't need a upgrade.

As to the OP's question.....Sam becoming Cap doesn't lesson or depreciate the character in the slightest. It is just a costume. And in the end Sam is just honoring not only his friend but the ideal of what Captain America means in the MU. If the character made a radical personality change a point may be able to be made but this is not the case and there for no, it takes nothing from Sam.
    Last edited by Trident; 01-12-2015 at 03:08 PM.

iirc aquaman has spoken to other life that isn't in the sea and even commented on how ridiculous it is to be limited in such a fashion.
    The few times he's done that, the writers had to really stretch it. Saying that he was communicating with an ancient part of the brain that was once part of our origins from the sea. There's really no reason to do this to Sam. You just don't like his powers and that's fine. But they don't need to change because of that. The Falcon talks to birds.

for the record, i never said i didn't like his powers. i just think he could be better at using them.

for the record, i never said i didn't like his powers. i just think he could be better at using them.
    I agree, but as long as it's HIS powers of the ability to communicate and control birds. There's no need for going outside of that. There are thousands of different birds and making him an Animal Man rip off would be pointless. His ability is unique because of the strictly Avian communication. Why change that? It would be like making Iceman able to turn into water or gas because it gives him a wider range that's not limited to types of ice.

His powers are what they are. He can communicate with birds and he has a psychic bond with Redwing. But his powers aren't what define him but his character which is probably why they chose him to become Captain America.

well iceman has transformed himself to both as i recall, it's just his preference to stick with ice.

as far as falcon goes, all i'm saying is that he has controlled alien animals before.

if birds were his favorite to use, that would be one thing. but he has much more potential than what he is doing. and animal man copies other animals, not just communicates with them.

for me, it's just illogical to only stick to birds. but perhaps there's some value in this limitation that i am just not seeing.

How many alien birds are there on Earth? And with his name being the Falcon, why would have the ability to communicate with tigers, bears, iguanas or salmon? American Eagle doesn't even talk to birds but no one has a problem with his abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    How many alien birds are there on Earth? And with his name being the Falcon, why would have the ability to communicate with tigers, bears, iguanas or salmon? American Eagle doesn't even talk to birds but no one has a problem with his abilities.
    well in wolverine and the x-men there is a mutant girl who can control animals. so what's to stop her from one-upping sam when he tries to use birds against her? she will just take them away from him and sic a bear on him when he isn't looking. just trying to think of all the variables to give him advantages.

well in wolverine and the x-men there is a mutant girl who can control animals. so what's to stop her from one-upping sam when he tries to use birds against her? she will just take them away from him and sic a bear on him when he isn't looking. just trying to think of all the variables to give him advantages.
    Only if the bear can fly.

And there's no proof that her control over birds is any stronger than Sam's bond.
    Last edited by Marvell2100; 01-12-2015 at 03:38 PM.

BANNED

How much does his book sell?

BANNED

...you can give anyone an upgrade in powers of even take them away it won't make more interesting, more capable, or more popular.

Who gives a yuck if billy jay can talk to everything with a face? Only thing that matters at the end of the day is that the character or in this case Sam is a capable superhero. Which he is and has proven time and time again.