Page 211 of 241 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,165 of 3610

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    So with this film with Hal Jordan out of it-probably stuff meant for him became Cyborg's stuff.
    This makes little sense, what do you think they would've done with Hal Jordan that would've taken away from Cyborg's story in the movie? Hal would've probably had more knowledge about the Parademons and that's it. The one thing I can see Vic being "shafted" in favor of Hal is the friendship with Barry, which was stolen from Hal to give Vic in the DCEU anyway.

Astonishing Member

As has been mentioned, and repeated, the biggest issue seems to be that those in editorial are holding the folks who do (or did) want to write Cyborg back with regards to what they could do with the character and for how long and far they could do it. They did it with David Walker and apparently they did it again with John Semper.

Victor - You dont want them to see the monster...

Silas - You're not a monster.

Victor - Its weird that you thought I meant me.

One of the best scenes and the Man V Machine storyline that they've been stuck on, dealt with in seconds.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    This makes little sense, what do you think they would've done with Hal Jordan that would've taken away from Cyborg's story in the movie? Hal would've probably had more knowledge about the Parademons and that's it. The one thing I can see Vic being "shafted" in favor of Hal is the friendship with Barry, which was stolen from Hal to give Vic in the DCEU anyway.
    When scripts get rewrites galore a lot can change.

Remember the version of Winston in Ghostbusters was not the version Ernie Hudson signed on for. The same with the character he played in Congo.

As has been mentioned, and repeated, the biggest issue seems to be that those in editorial are holding the folks who do (or did) want to write Cyborg back with regards to what they could do with the character and for how long and far they could do it. They did it with David Walker and apparently they did it again with John Semper.
    The editor is a black man and Milestone alum. Yet he has failed with New 52 Static & now Cyborg twice.

Two of the biggest black males at DC-get badly done books with drama. Funny his New 52 Jaime Reyes run had the same issue.

Walker's Cyborg & Static he was the sole editor. Cyborg Rebirth lists him and 2 others.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    When scripts get rewrites galore a lot can change.
    This script was already rewritten to accommodate a "simpler" story. And it wouldn't have mattered because Hal was never planned to be in the movie to begin with. And if he was, there's no reason to believe that would've somehow being detrimental to Vic, given that Hal's role in the original New 52 story wasn't even that important. He was the annoying man-child who served as Batman's verbal punching bag.

In any event, believe what you will of course. Happy holidays, skyvolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post

One of the best scenes and the Man V Machine storyline that they've been stuck on, dealt with in seconds.
    That really was a good scene, i'm so glad they did right by Vic even if most of everything else was underwhelming
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

A wonder why the cut most of Vic and Barry scenes that was shown in the trailer from the theatrical cut. Such as the football, Alley and the full mask scenes.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Fantastic Member

Get him a good black writer. There problem fixed

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Get him a good black writer. There problem fixed
    He had a good writer. Editorial interfered. They wanted to continue the "man or machine" trope for the millionth time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post

That was very well done.

I knew they would do right by Diana in this movie considering how popular her solo film was. Other than that I wanted them to do right by Clark and Vic. That's all I was hoping for. And I think I got it. Vic didnt get a ton of screen time but what he got was gold.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That was very well done.

I knew they would do right by Diana in this movie considering how popular her solo film was. Other than that I wanted them to do right by Clark and Vic. That's all I was hoping for. And I think I got it. Vic didnt get a ton of screen time but what he got was gold.
    I like that he somewhat drove the plot, and going from trailer it seemed Vic had it even larger story with his backstory develop but I guess it was part of what WB cut to reduce the length.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    He had a good writer. Editorial interfered. They wanted to continue the "man or machine" trope for the millionth time.
    Do we have proof of that?

how many trades are available from the Perez-era Titans arcs?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Do we have proof of that?
    Proof of what that Walker can write? Yes we do it's called Shaft and it's sequel.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-save-cyborg/

In 2015, Cyborg finally received his first ongoing solo series. Unfortunately, DC Comics had no idea how to handle its most prominent black character, thus, he failed to capture an audience. Writer David F. Walker, a black man who has become noted for writing black characters in The Supernals, Shaft, Nighthawk and Occupy Avengers, came aboard to write the title, but was met with resistance from the beginning.

As Walker himself discussed in an interview with CBR back in April 2017, DC didn’t exactly know what they were doing with the character. He left the title just nine issues in, due in part to DC editorial’s inability to acknowledge who Cyborg really is: A black man.

According to Walker, he told DC. “it’s not the story about, ‘Is he more man or is he more machine?’” Walker felt distinctly that, “He is more man,” and, “If he was 99% machine, he’s still gonna be more man.” Rather than allowing a Cyborg comic to focus on Vic Stone as a man, and as a black man, DC preferred to go with the man vs. machine storyline that seems to control every aspect of Cyborg’s existence.

When John Semper, Jr. launched the Rebirth Cyborg title, he spoke about much of the same dilemmas as Walker, involving Vic’s story of being “a black man in Detroit.” It felt like maybe DC had learned its lesson, seen Walker head off to Marvel and create several well-regarded titles, and now the publisher wanted to make right.
    Remember this editor is the same editor who handed Static over to a guy with ZERO writing experience during New 52.

How is Cyborg not the ultimate power fantasy in an age where everything around us is all about technology and the future of technology? From smartphones to smart homes to smart cars to augmented reality to artificial intelligence and on? You'd figure that for such a character that you'd have to constantly stay ahead of real-world modern tech just to keep the look of advanced alien tech plausible.

Look at what Marvel does with Tony Stark. He's just a man and far exceeds Vic in tech and visuals. Look at what they do with Black Panther. A nation that's a technological wonderland. BP is flawless with the tech in his habit. And all either of them has is modern earth technology. On top of that you also don't see them getting torn apart every five seconds.

If you had 1,000 people imagine what the perfect hybrid of man and machine would look like, none of them would land on the current design of Cyborg.

The only way you can honestly understand the state of Cyborg is that it DC is intentionally demeaning the character. There's no other reasonable explanation.