Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    problem with any trial is that by the time one is held the events are retconned away. Avengers dissasembled was a poorly thought out story with one goal: Destroy the avengers. House of m had one goal: Destroy the majority of the mutant population in the mu. Once that was done wanda was tossed into the trash heap and allowed to rot there while the mu was re-ordered. in one way she's a greater victim than anyone she harmed. I can't think that the type of lazy writing that was behind dissasembled and house of m is in anyway prepared to do the hard work of a trial issue.
    Wait, What ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    And in regards to events in CC, you can't even say he killed Cassie Lang since in Axis he was able to siphon off some of Wanda's powers and used it to bring her back to life. So now she's alive and well and with her dad. Doom's been absolved of at least that one. Maybe that's why Marvel is giving him a pass on this because it was just a convenient way to do some housekeeping and bring Wanda back from comic book limbo.
    Doom was all over the place when Children's Cruasade started, so really there's no way the end point of that story was going to be anything that could take him out of play. I think CC was just an attempt to frankly sweep a lot of this under the carpet, so it did a somewhat so-so job of it.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Bringing Cassie back from the dead doesn't change the fact that Doom killed her in the first place. He could totally be prosecuted for that, unless it took place on Latverian soil (my memory is fuzzy on that point), in which case he's probably already pardoned himself.

Edit: It strikes me now that bringing her back could be argued as a de facto admission of guilt.
    The only thing is that according to Avengers World, even the memory of the pain of the event is gone. So the spell wiped away the memory of the event. Scott didn't even ask her why she was back from the dead.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Problem with any trial is that by the time one is held the events are retconned away. Avengers Dissasembled was a poorly thought out story with one goal: Destroy the Avengers. House of M had one goal: Destroy the majority of the mutant population in the mu. Once that was done Wanda was tossed into the trash heap and allowed to rot there while the MU was re-ordered. In one way she's a greater victim than anyone she harmed. I can't think that the type of lazy writing that was behind Dissasembled and House of M is in anyway prepared to do the hard work of a trial issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Wait, What ?.
    Pretty much the perfect response.

Let's stop the Incursions first and then put the Great Destroyer on trial.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    Pretty much the perfect response.
    I think Mark's was actually the better response. Some fans are so invested in the character that they feel like they are real people. No one really died. This was just a story with character being moved around like chess pieces. As a character, I think what was done to Wanda did was terrible especially if you had followed her ever since the days when she was on the kooky quartet. Now it's very common to read posts that say "Oh, she was cray-cray from the start" and "she deserves to die" which IMO is the due to one writer that cherry picked something from a story that had an explanation for her conduct in Darker Than Scarlet. That explanation was completely ignored. People who only read the Bendis Scarlet Witch IMO do not know the character at all.

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

Pretty sure this is a beaten dead horse that's drawing flies now to the point I'd only be echoing any sentiment just as neurotic though will differ to any number of points that would end a legal proceeding before it began and likewise mark it as a mistrial (not including that the Marvel Universe legal system seems to be fudged beyond logical measure), and the end result would be to defer to the institutions (Avengers, X-Men and S.H.I.E.L.D possibly even) to handle the matter internally. A cosmic trial is more in order really since this goes beyond the scope and jurisdiction of human beings (mandate of the order of reality and/or magical law) which seems is actually desired but for reasons I don't quite understand picked the blame elsewhere (Tony Stark mostly, now known universally as the Phoenix Killer...hey I didn't write it, go ask Fraction!) so doubtful this will play out.

I'll elaborate a little on the previous actually so I don't end up rehashing myself if quoted later. Conforming to the real time status of the law here (as a person who participates in law and politics I acknowledge very loosely but just to get the gist of this down) then the responsible party falls to then at the time institution of the Avengers anyways. The Avengers knowingly had an operative in their ranks who was in a state of insanity and a vast danger to herself and others. They likewise put her in combat disregarding all this and noted had not only a legitimate doctor (Strange) on hand who observed and documented her condition, as well one who is allegedly an expert as well in the fields of both magic and superpowers and has the position of determining when these things are threats to reality and what course of action should be taken next, yet failed in the execution of this job regardless. When a person is proven without a shadow of a doubt to not have been in control of their own facilities (which Wanda was) a conviction is almost always not going to happen though worse if the institution and professionals responsible for monitoring this persons condition and for caring for their welfare in a working relationship failed in their duties on both the accounts of neglect and personal bias it's an open and closed case from inception.
    Last edited by SickAlice; 02-10-2015 at 02:03 PM.
    I make love, you make me sick.

I think Mark's was actually the better response. Some fans are so invested in the character that they feel like they are real people. No one really died. This was just a story with character being moved around like chess pieces. As a character, I think what was done to Wanda did was terrible especially if you had followed her ever since the days when she was on the kooky quartet. Now it's very common to read posts that say "Oh, she was cray-cray from the start" and "she deserves to die" which IMO is the due to one writer that cherry picked something from a story that had an explanation for her conduct in Darker Than Scarlet. That explanation was completely ignored. People who only read the Bendis Scarlet Witch IMO do not know the character at all.
    This is such a good post. How many characters in recent years have been given the same treatment as Wanda? Scott, Namor, Tony Stark, Bishop, Beast, etc. This characters were basically trashed in order to tell a story.

I'd have no problem with her standing trial, though under the circumstances, I would expect her to be acquitted. I would use the analogy of a sleepwalker - it's a diminished capacity situation. However, I would expect her to still suffer from feelings of guilt, because it's simply not believable that she wouldn't.

The only thing is that according to Avengers World, even the memory of the pain of the event is gone. So the spell wiped away the memory of the event. Scott didn't even ask her why she was back from the dead.

Well, if it can't be proven that she died, then he beat the rap, I suppose. Doesn't necessarily exonerate him, though.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    This is such a good post. How many characters in recent years have been given the same treatment as Wanda? Scott, Namor, Tony Stark, Bishop, Beast, etc. This characters were basically trashed in order to tell a story.
    But you notice when the male characters get trashed, they get to continue appearing in the comics. A lot of people hated Stark after Civil War, but he was there. Beast has been made to do so many horrible things, but he's there. I can't think of a major character who was treated quite this way, namely, made to do the worst possible things and then kicked out of the comics for so many years. Jean, maybe - but Jean got a heroic death that made everyone remember her as a hero, while Wanda was only spoken of for many years as the crazy lady who ruined everything. The only comparable case is Hal Jordan, and he got much more respect and panel time during his exile.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    But you notice when the male characters get trashed, they get to continue appearing in the comics. A lot of people hated Stark after Civil War, but he was there. Beast has been made to do so many horrible things, but he's there. I can't think of a major character who was treated quite this way, namely, made to do the worst possible things and then kicked out of the comics for so many years. Jean, maybe - but Jean got a heroic death that made everyone remember her as a hero, while Wanda was only spoken of for many years as the crazy lady who ruined everything. The only comparable case is Hal Jordan, and he got much more respect and panel time during his exile.
    Honestly, Wanda wasn't a major character prior to her actions. It's what she did that thrust her into the spotlight. The same thing can be said of Bishop who was trashed far worse than Wanda with no plausible explanation and then was left to drift in limbo. He later returned only to be dumped back into limbo and little chance to try and clean up the mess that was made.

Iron Maiden Almost making an entire race extinct will get you hate.
    137303-53523-elixir.jpg
    . But there are more: the children are dead because of wanda and doom.

Dead because Wanda or Doom The chain reaction she caused, even the direct kills,

In a similar way, Scarlet Witch, released a chemical/pathogen (via No More Mutants), which reduced civilian (innocent mutants) and defender/opposing force (X-Men, noteworthy mutants) numbers, lowering their capability to defend themselves against attackers (Stryker, Sentinels, gov't programs). In many ways, even if her hands aren't personally bloodied, the attackers would not have been so successful if mutants were at full strength.