Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator

Default The Mission: The Allure of Marvel's Female Thor & the All-New Captain America's Struggle

With news of the impressive sales of Marvel's new "Thor" series, Joseph Illidge makes comparisons to the publisher's "All-New Captain America."

Full article here.

Part of the draw of the new Thor is that there has never been a female Thor and the mystery of who she is. There is no mystery surrounding who the new Steve is because we know it's Sam and also there have been many more people who have replaced Cap than there are who replaced Thor.

I do agree that there could have been a lot more done during Black History month to showcase black creators and characters. There should have also been more promotional items to go along with Sam's debut.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Does anyone really not know who the female Thor is by now? It's that female SHIELD agent, clearly.

I suspect a lot of fans figure that Steve will be back eventually and don't really want to give Sam a chance? Heck the new Hail Hydra series is about his adopted son rather than Sam, and with Secret Wars we have umpteen alternate versions of Steve Rogers but as far as I can tell just one alternate Sam in Civil War.

Fantastic Member

Here's to hoping that Sam Wilson's time as the substitute Captain America can do for him what it did for Bucky Barnes. Namely, getting him out of the shadow of Steve Rogers and becoming an A-list hero in his own right when he returns to being Falcon. Done properly, a Falcon ongoing (or whatever passes for "ongoing," now) would be great for everyone.
    Currently Reading: A handful of series that will be canceled soon.

"That said, the story reads like Sam Wilson continues to fail, time and time again"

That's what really put me off after picking up the first 2 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    "That said, the story reads like Sam Wilson continues to fail, time and time again"

You nailed it.

What turned me off was a new hero against the same old villains. "blah blah blah HYDRA." Cap needs a NEW rogue's gallery.

Astonishing Member

This has been my issue with the comic since the first issue. While I appreciate the different approach he went with armadillo, the fact that he hasn't been able to beat any of his opponents in single's combat besides the surprise attack on crossbones is downright insulting, and has been my primary and main complaint about the issue. Wow Thor has been whipping tail in her comics, Captain America needs to be saved in every single one of his.

It's also should be well known knowledge by now that minority comics just doesn't sell that well, people always try to beat around the bush but it's just the indication in this industry, until more minority readers enter the fray which would be much more willing to give minority characters a chance, you're going to have issues with this. Even though Marvel is steadily increasing in the women's side so if this keeps up, they will the demographic that help saves this current industry.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Magic View Post
    Here's to hoping that Sam Wilson's time as the substitute Captain America can do for him what it did for Bucky Barnes. Namely, getting him out of the shadow of Steve Rogers and becoming an A-list hero in his own right when he returns to being Falcon. Done properly, a Falcon ongoing (or whatever passes for "ongoing," now) would be great for everyone.
    Define "everyone".

All-New Member

j9ac9k hit the nail on the head, the only draw towards fakethor i have is finding out what fury said to real thor to make him drop his hammer. after that, ill feel the same way i do about samcap, just hope its interesting enough before the real star gets their book back.
    personally i find the new thor depressing while watching one of my favorite heroes dealing with rejection and inadequacy, and self serving, existing only to prove fakethor is a badass. i have no reason to root for fakethor as i don't even know who it is, and i DO have reason to root against her, as she is "stealing the thunder" (zing) of one of my favorite heroes by instantly being able to one-up his abilities.

Part of the new Thor's appeal is the mystery, that and people hate-reading it. Maybe people are passing on Sam because they don't like him, or they figure Steve will be young again by the time Cap 3 comes out and they're just biding their time.

BANNED

Done properly, an ongoing Shamrock or Nightwatch ongoing would be great for everyone. As to wearing the Cap suit (minus the head-wings) making you A-List, Bucky's roaming around space and has been basically marginalized in the greater Marvel U (technically with an important job, but one that isolates him from the Avengers/FF/X-Men/etc.). If anything Falcon getting some screen time in the new Avengers films might help. It's probably a stretch to imagine a solo film, but I could see a Netflix series.

This. I'd totally buy a Falcon ongoing.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Does anyone really not know who the female Thor is by now? It's that female SHIELD agent, clearly.

I suspect a lot of fans figure that Steve will be back eventually and don't really want to give Sam a chance? Heck the new Hail Hydra series is about his adopted son rather than Sam, and with Secret Wars we have umpteen alternate versions of Steve Rogers but as far as I can tell just one alternate Sam in Civil War.
    The series All New Captain America: Fear Him was basically about Ian as well. RR seems to be wanting to firmly establish Ian and possibly Jet to the Captain America franchise for reasons I would largely imagine have to do with Steve Rogers popularity. So it really seems Sam is getting screwed out of his big moment currently.

As to female Thor....I think some more time is needed to determine if it has long term stability. Remember how the New 52 started out? People bought the first arch of several books to see how things were going to turn out but then we began to see bug drops after the six to seventh issues of several series. Hopefully, the book will still do well and real Thor will still have major relevance to the MU as well. Even though I never been that interested in that franchise/property.
    Last edited by Trident; 03-23-2015 at 05:58 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    The series All New Captain America: Fear Him was basically about Ian as well. RR seems to be wanting to firmly establish Ian and possibly Jet to the Captain America franchise for reasons I would largely imagine have to do with Steve Rogers popularity. So it really seems Sam is getting screwed out of his big moment currently.

As to female Thor....I think some more time is needed to determine if it has long term stability. Remember how the New 52 started out? People bought the first arch of several books to see how things were going to turn out but then we began to see bug drops after the six to seventh issues of several series. Hopefully, the book will still do well and real Thor will still have major relevance to the MU as well. Even though I never been that interested in that franchise/property.
    Sam is in more books now than ever before. I find Lady Thunder to be pretty bland so far. It could be the the greatness of the previous volumes with Ribic has spoiled me.While on the other hand . Immoneon work is just awe inspiring.