Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think the problem was that the threeboot had kind of put them in a corner. It didn't reach anywhere close to the kind of sales they were expecting with the team of Waid/Kitson so they thought going back to the most popular version would get things back on track. It actually might have if they had gotten a new writer with a more clear direction, but they didn't and even when the Nu52 boot came they stuck with what wasn't working which made no sense.

My favorite legionnaire
    image.jpg[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think the problem was that the threeboot had kind of put them in a corner. It didn't reach anywhere close to the kind of sales they were expecting with the team of Waid/Kitson so they thought going back to the most popular version would get things back on track. It actually might have if they had gotten a new writer with a more clear direction, but they didn't and even when the Nu52 boot came they stuck with what wasn't working which made no sense.
    I never saw any reason really for the threeboot. Nothing that they did there couldn't have been done, with a little tweeking, with the DnA Legion (the post-Zero Hour one). The retroboot, as others mentioned, was just another step back.

Peace

The only Legionnaire I've ever voted for in a leader election is Gates.

Giffen's run on LoSH was probably the best I ever read. He totally took this team in a new direction. I loved it so much that I was totally crushed when the truth was revealed and everything changed. I remember screaming in my mind "Nnnnooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    All moved over
    Thanks, really appreciate it.

Didn't see this thread. I hope the mods can merge the one I create into this one. I really enjoyed Giffen's run on the Legion in the 90's It was a great and interesting new look at the team.

This is the best rendition of the Legion imo.

I never understood why latter writers did not bring back Kent Shakespeare as the Legions medial guy in latter reboots. A doctor with super powers would be ideal for treating the team.

My favorite rendition of the full Legion:

"In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Son of the 90's. My favorite Legion era.

Spectacular Member Tula's boyfriend's Avatar

Please bring back the Legion!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post

This is the best rendition of the Legion imo.
    It was really a very different take on the Legion. I think it compares with the change of making the Avengers into the New Avengers, however, IMHO, done with a hell of a whole lot more quality. I liked it, but it was certainly a radical change that took away some of the essence of the team. In trying to recapture what was lost, DC really scerwed up, firts with having their cake and wanting to eat it too, with the time displaced clones of the batch SW6, then with the string of reboots. Giffen's 5YL was solid storytelling woith great concepts and ideas, however, in hindsight, it might have been better served as an alternate reality finite story, as, IMHO, in the long run, it did cause seruious damage to the series (not that they already hadn't taken a serious blow with all the changes brought by COIE and the exclusion of Superboy from reality).

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Tula's boyfriend View Post
    Please bring back the Legion!
    Like I said before, I think the legion will be back in some form, it's too good a concept to completely let go of. They just need a writer that can get a good grasp on young people in a sci fi setting. New writers, new artists, a real shot in the arm.

The choice of writers has been a problem. The last 3 main writers were all on their 2nd runs on the title (Waid, Shooter, Levitz), and has been proven many many times over when a writer comes back to a title it is almost never as good as their first run. That was nearly a decade of just those three guys. Really since DnA had there run the only "new" writer the series had besides guest shots in JLA and the Superman books was Geoff Johns for Legion of 3 Worlds.

I am not saying any of those runs were bad. I didn't care for Waids threeboot much at all, but there were parts of it I liked. I liked Shooters run except for the mess they made of the end of it. I really liked Levitz run on Adventure Comic with his tale of the Academy kids alot. His Adventure run to me was miles better than his Legion proper run which while not bad was just boring, and if there is one thing a Legion book should never be is boring.

The property needs a new voice and someone who has a firm plan in hand about where they want to go.