Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Old Man Rogers ill-equipped to lead?

I for one rally can't stand him.
    Never was a fan of his, but since he he has gotten old he really became a Captain Ahab-Wannabe, completely narrow minded, putting personal feelings above the greater picture and alienating allies without even noticing.

Whenever I think of him I can only think of his childish, holograph-smashing tantrum.

Is there anyone who sympathises with him?

Some people have no respect . . .

For idiots like him?
    Nope, surely not,

I think you can validly criticize his handling of the Illuminati, though it literally took 5 seconds for him to agree to work with them once they actually started talking, so it wasn't that bad.

I was fine with him in Axis, for what it's worth.

BANNED

I'm fine with him. I'm hoping he replace Maria Hill as the director of SHIELD sense Falcon is going to continue being Captain America after Secret War.

It really depends on who is writing him. Some writers seem to struggle with him, others know how to make him shine.
    I suppose that's true or almost any character
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    I'm fine with him. I'm hoping he replace Maria Hill as the director of SHIELD sense Falcon is going to continue being Captain America after Secret War.
    He seems to be calling the shots at SHIELD in Hickmans time jump.

BANNED

I'm not much of a Captain America nor was I ever but he never really bothered me that much in the past but yeah old man Steve has been annoying.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

In my limited experience with him, he seems just like he was pre-old-manning, just not as much jumping, running, or kicking out windows.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Incredible Member

If we're talking strictly about how he's been characterized in Hickman's Avengers then maybe not.

From what I've seen of Steve as an old man as he's been portrayed in other books then he seems to have pretty much the same mentality as he had before so I'd say he's still fit to lead just not in the field. That being said I think Hickman's approach is a valid one as it hasn't really been properly explored what it would be like for Steve Rogers to lose his powers especially after repeated betrayals and what's going in the rest on in the Marvel continuity. I mean he tried to fight off Terrax with his cane which apparently made the rest of the world side with the Cabal, that's got to be an emasculating moment that even ol' Rogers isn't earnest enough to brush off so I can understand why he acts the way he does in Hickman's books.

Admittedly I hoped there would be more to Steve's agenda than simply hunting down the Illuminati. I was hoping there'd be some secret plan he was working on to deal with the Cabal as well but to his credit it didn't take much for him to put aside his vengeance driven quest and work with the Illuminati for the greater good. One wonders if they'd reached out to him sooner if it all a lot of their current bad blood could have been avoided.

I'd also point out that we don't know the full details of what Tony Stark did to push Steve over the edge. I'm sure I've read that we'll actually see that in which case we may understand Steve position even more.
    Last edited by Orbus; 04-26-2015 at 07:24 PM.

I asked him but he kept saying, "What?"

He knows the ins and outs better than most. What he lacks in physicality now, he makes up for in respect and experience. So he smashed a holograph? People get frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Never was a fan of his, but since he he has gotten old he really became a Captain Ahab-Wannabe, completely narrow minded, putting personal feelings above the greater picture and alienating allies without even noticing.

Whenever I think of him I can only think of his childish, holograph-smashing tantrum.
    I suppose it's a matter of perspective. I'm sure many would replace "old" with "psychotic" and "holograph-smashing" with "murdering Xavier" to describe someone else.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    He knows the ins and outs better than most. What he lacks in physicality now, he makes up for in respect and experience. So he smashed a holograph? People get frustrated.
    How does one smash a hologram?

I suppose it's a matter of perspective. I'm sure many would replace "old" with "psychotic" and "holograph-smashing" with "murdering Xavier" to describe someone else.
    O'k... That was deep

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]

How does one smash a hologram?
    With mad hologram smashing skills.

No, but actually he smashed some device showing the hologram.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Astonishing Member

I love Old Man Steve. I hope this guy is the new status quo. Perfect replacement for Old Man Nick