Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

December 10 for The World? Ahhhhh. What is Image doing? At least now with the release of the 7 interlocking covers to promote issue #16, they almost have to keep that date for issue 16. Why The World has seen the delays it has, I really wonder. If it was for marketing purposes, creative delays, or both? Either way, the wait is almost over the books return.

Incredible Member

Read the first 15 issues last night in one sitting. Based on his current Avengers run I was thinking that there might be lots of expository dialogue which kind of puts the breaks on the story, but the dialogue here is pretty natural and he's done a great job with the world-building aspect of the whole thing. Don't think I like it as much as Saga but it is a series I'll want to finish. That said, I don't think I'll be able to go monthly with this, might check back after another 15 issues or when it's finished (35-50 issues, was it?).

Great book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    December 10 for The World? Ahhhhh. What is Image doing? At least now with the release of the 7 interlocking covers to promote issue #16, they almost have to keep that date for issue 16. Why The World has seen the delays it has, I really wonder. If it was for marketing purposes, creative delays, or both? Either way, the wait is almost over the books return.
    To be fair this book has shipped regularly since #1, I can't remember a delay or Saga type hiatus previously & the art has been consistently gorgeous, Dragotta's done a bang up job on this series long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Read the first 15 issues last night in one sitting. Based on his current Avengers run I was thinking that there might be lots of expository dialogue which kind of puts the breaks on the story, but the dialogue here is pretty natural and he's done a great job with the world-building aspect of the whole thing. Don't think I like it as much as Saga but it is a series I'll want to finish. That said, I don't think I'll be able to go monthly with this, might check back after another 15 issues or when it's finished (35-50 issues, was it?).

Great book.
    Year One was 15 issues, Year Two starts in issue 16 so that's probably 30 issues. Five Years, 75 issues sounds about right, if it sells well.

Quote Originally Posted by rac shade View Post
    Year One was 15 issues, Year Two starts in issue 16 so that's probably 30 issues. Five Years, 75 issues sounds about right, if it sells well.
    Dragotta has said the plan was for 50 issues in 5 years (10 issues a year). It's gonna be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Dragotta has said the plan was for 50 issues in 5 years (10 issues a year). It's gonna be great!
    This is certainly good news!

I just picked up EAST OF WEST Vol 3 and I must say that this is just an enjoyable series to read. Some of Hickman's finest work to date on the series. Babylon looks pretty awesome.

Spectacular Member Agent John Bishop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I just picked up EAST OF WEST Vol 3 and I must say that this is just an enjoyable series to read. Some of Hickman's finest work to date on the series. Babylon looks pretty awesome.
    I like all of Hickman's stuff a lot (reading through his books is just relaxing for me, just read Infinity and he even made a crossover event good), but this is his pinnacle. Volume Three was incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent John Bishop View Post
    I like all of Hickman's stuff a lot (reading through his books is just relaxing for me, just read Infinity and he even made a crossover event good), but this is his pinnacle. Volume Three was incredible.
    Yeah, I've read Hickman's FF run(love that!), Infinity(one of the better Marvel events over the past few years) and his current Avengers/New Avengers(really enjoying that too)! And I agree, this is some of his best work. The characters are all so intriguing and he's given each of them their moments.

Reeaaalllly looking forward to the books return December 31. However, the delays continue for this book as Image has bumped Issue #17 from January 21 to February 4. Issue #18 is still supposed to be out February 18, but I'd bank on that getting bumped to February 25. Issue #19 is solicited for March 25. We'll see.
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 12-19-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Spectacular Member Agent John Bishop's Avatar

So the lack of review thread for #16 is killing me. Here are some spoiler-y thoughts:

spoilers:
    So are we left to think Death's wife accepts or declines the Endless Nation's offer? I hope she accepts. I like the endless nation a lot (they are the only other country not allied with the Chosen) and would love to see them on the PRA's side.

Death is back to see his wife. I wonder why. He said he wasn't coming back without their son (speaking of which, what has Babylon been up to?)

Poor, poor Bel Solomon. He could use an exorcist. If Cheveyo makes him try to kill the Ranger, he is in major trouble...although the Ranger is going to kill him eventually anyway.

How cool is it that the Endless Nation's ships stack to look like giant totem poles. It's cool how old west iconography is integrated into the future setting (such as the Ranger masks that look like handlebar moustaches).
    So I remember way back that Dragotta claimed he didn't have the talent to age the horseman gradually, but I thought they each looked notably older than they did in their last appearances. Maybe it's just War's new haircut?

I like that the Ranger's dog communicates only in "woof" sounds but Texans apparently understand it as articulate speech a la "I am Groot"
    end of spoilers

Wow, great issue. It feels like all the buildup has evened out into a comic with an amazing about of momentum. It reminds me of stories like Game of Thrones in that we are now balancing an astounding number of characters very interestingly. Also, Dragotta does not get enough credit for his ability to render gorgeous women. I am a little in love with Doma Lux...which does not bode well for me considering what happened to the last guy who liked her...

Also, I am apparently breaking my own rule and buying this in digital issues now, instead of print trades. But I can't wait.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Hey guys, I have a question for you all. Having read all of the recent East of West trades nearly back to back and reviewing them, I noticed something about the artwork. Does it feel like the art quality kind of degrades or looks less polish in areas as time goes on to you? I mean, looking back at the beginning and in current issues, the linework and inking feels rushed in areas (rather noticeable in #13 I found). It could be just me, but it feels like the quality is dipping a bit as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Hey guys, I have a question for you all. Having read all of the recent East of West trades nearly back to back and reviewing them, I noticed something about the artwork. Does it feel like the art quality kind of degrades or looks less polish in areas as time goes on to you? I mean, looking back at the beginning and in current issues, the linework and inking feels rushed in areas (rather noticeable in #13 I found). It could be just me, but it feels like the quality is dipping a bit as time goes on.
    I haven't noticed it but I'm overseas at the moment so I don't have my books on me to look at. But I'm completely in love with Dragotta's style on this books (Akira meets the wild west) which may be why I haven't critiqued stuff like linework ect. The only time I feel the artwork isn't for me is when stuff looks too 3D for its own good (almost computer quality) like the hand of the message's beast sometimes but that's few and far between.

This issue didn't disappoint at all and I think the art is just as good as ever. There are just so many killer characters in this book, I can't get enough of it.

I don t want to spoil so I'll come back to this thread when Im up to date. I just wanted to express my enthusiasm for this book. I'm not a huge fan of Hickman's other work (Avengers/New Avengers/Manhattan Projects) but this book is fantastic, helped in no small way by Dragotta's breathtaking artwork.