Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why is Luke Cage the only hero allowed to stay married?

I realized this the other day, Luke Cage is the only hero who get's to stay married. Why do you think this is? All other heroes' marriage get's ended in on way or another, Spider-Man's got erased (by a demon (so stupid)), Quicksilver's and Crystal's was annulled for political reasons, Black Panther's annulled his and Storm's because Namor wen't nuts (wasn't even her fault), but not Luke's, his get's to stick around. Why is he the only hero that get's to stay married?

BANNED

Did Reed and Sue get divorced?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Did Reed and Sue get divorced?
    well no, but I doubt Marvel would split up a couple when their team is refereed to as the first superhero family.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    well no, but I doubt Marvel would split up a couple when their team is refereed to as the first superhero family.
    So "only" is the wrong word then?

Because even without Reed and Sue, Jessica Jones is a hero too, right? Their marriage = 2 heroes.

Well, it helps that their marriage has gotten significantly less attention, in general, than the others did. Luke was a major part of Bendis' New Avengers run, but other than that, Luke and Jessica aren't big characters. So there's less motivation to break them up for cheap drama, or to have them date someone else, or because a writer has a bitter view of marriage, or whatever.

Niffleheim

Did Jesse and Eva Alexander divorce? Black Bolt and Medusa are still married but separated.

I realized this the other day, Luke Cage is the only hero who get's to stay married. Why do you think this is? All other heroes' marriage get's ended in on way or another, Spider-Man's got erased (by a demon (so stupid)), Quicksilver's and Crystal's was annulled for political reasons, Black Panther's annulled his and Storm's because Namor wen't nuts (wasn't even her fault), but not Luke's, his get's to stick around. Why is he the only hero that get's to stay married?
    Not only that but why does Jessica Jones get to stay married?

Just give it time, they be splitsville before you know it.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Like I said in another thread once, unless you're gay (Northstar and whatever his husband is called), interracial (Luke and Jessica) or had the sense to get married in the 60's and had kids established before it became out of vogue to be married in comics (Reed and Sue), your marriage isn't likely to last.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Cage doesn't matter much and splitting up couples who have a kid together is extra ugly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Cage doesn't matter much and splitting up couples who have a kid together is extra ugly.
    Quicksilver and Crystal had kids.

Quicksilver and Crystal had kids.
    Very true and that was a very ugly ending.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

This is reminding me of an X-Men parody which pointed out with Jean that whilst she had never actually ever had kids there were four people who could claim to be her offspring. Seems since the days of Franklin and Valeria that's the only way you get to see descendants, via time travel and alternate universes. Dani Cage was probably the first kid in like ever to be born in canon.

Luke juggling heroism and family-life is part of his shtick now. Losing his kid to the Skrulls created a good couple of arcs and it's nice seeing a rough guy from the hood able to keep a stable relationship, unlike the million of other well-adjusted (as well-adjusted as a super-hero can be) not. Because there's not many other characters with a family, he can exist and be one of a few. It's part of him now - it what sells him as a character. A lot of stories (which I remember reading) had his love-life integral to it. So when they hired Squirrel-Girl as a nanny, that was part of his arc. With Spider-Man, say, he wasn't sold on being married to Mary-Jane, he's the relatable every-man. It's nice to see that a family can remain together when everything's falling apart around them.

BANNED

I dont like it either but Luke isn't the only one, like people said Reed and Sue are still married.

I really hope Medusa and Blackbolt get back together by the time the next Inhuman arc ends and I hope new your vows means Peter and MJ are will be married when the new universe is created.

Extraordinary Member

To be fair, he hasn't been married that long. Still plenty of time for that to end too.