Page 631 of 808 FirstFirst ... 131531581621627628629630631632633634635641681731 ... LastLast
Results 9,451 to 9,465 of 12112

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    All long-running characters have bad stretches.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the long run, her time in the All-New X-Men was never delved into any great detail (e.g., she was once a part of that specific X-Men team for awhile, maybe reference a few specific missions, but that's about it). For example, All-New Wolverine had borrowed a few elements (like teen Jean showing up in Enemy of the State II), but doesn't go into detail about how they used to work together a lot.
    Don't forget, Jean wasn't in Hopeless's run (except the last issue, to set up Blue), only Bendis's. At least Laura's presence on that version of the team made sense and didn't contradict other books (Wolverines is simply set after ANXM vol 1 ended).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Don't forget, Jean wasn't in Hopeless's run (except the last issue, to set up Blue), only Bendis's. At least Laura's presence on that version of the team made sense and didn't contradict other books (Wolverines is simply set after ANXM vol 1 ended).
    No, her presence in Bendis's ANXM DIDN'T make sense.

The last we saw of her in Avengers Arena Logan was personally loading her on a medevac chopper to take her home. Then the next time she turns up in a book she's wandering around Miami with amnesia after being tortured by the Purifiers, and it's NEVER BEEN EXPLAINED how she got from Point A to Point B. What would have MADE SENSE was for her to join one of the JGS-based books (WatXM, Amazing, Adjectiveless, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Never read that era myself for multiple reasons (bad reviews, usually not being fond of reading large team series for one character, and a disinterest in Hunger Games-style stories). So, if I'm mistaken about the exacts, okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    No, her presence in Bendis's ANXM DIDN'T make sense.

The last we saw of her in Avengers Arena Logan was personally loading her on a medevac chopper to take her home. Then the next time she turns up in a book she's wandering around Miami with amnesia after being tortured by the Purifiers, and it's NEVER BEEN EXPLAINED how she got from Point A to Point B. What would have MADE SENSE was for her to join one of the JGS-based books (WatXM, Amazing, Adjectiveless, etc.).
    I'm content to just leave it at she was in the Academy for awhile and later on another X-Men team before her All-New Wolverine series kicked off without worrying about the details. Like I said before, there's going to be bad stretches in a long-running series/character franchise and I'm not obligated to read them all just because a favorite character of mine is in them. And, hey, the good news is that stuff is behind us now.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Spectacular Member

The frustrating thing is that an X-23 movie would make such a relevant and topical film. Her story of being stripped of her identity and agency, the abuse she suffered at the hands of her creators and later Zebra Daddy, and her ongoing struggle to reclaim her life and discover who she is and how she fits into the world resonates strongly with the #MeToo movement in ways that many other female heroes can't.

Sure, characters like Wonder Woman offer female empowerment, but any story about women in the modern world you could tell with her is almost invariably going to come from the perspective of an outsider. By and large she's viewing sexism and misogyny from the perspective of one that never truly experienced it. So while the meta may have Diana fighting AGAINST it, I think in some ways her origin outside that environment diminishes the message.

Laura, by contrast, was defined by it. You have three powerful men — Rice, Sutter, and Zebra Daddy — who defined much of her early life. They abused her, controlled her, and in the latter case raped her. Logan may have glossed over the worst of what Rice did to her in the books, but it's clear that abuse was still present when she talks about having nightmares of people hurting her. There's a powerful metaphor there in light of the Weinstein case, and other recent examples come to light of men in positions of power abusing their authority over the women working under them.

An X-23 film offers a unique opportunity to use the genre to engage women and girls by giving them someone who shared the same struggle many face, and are only just now finding the voice to fight.
    Oh God. I am even more depressed now. Disney will not want one of their potential Disney Princess stabbing people. They would rather cast some annoying pre-rehab, limited talent Zendaya /Dove Cameron type Disney channel actress in the role. Lets hope the Writers Guild and Anti trust lawyers do their best to stop this silly deal.

BANNED

Doug Zawisza of Comicosity names All-New Wolverine as his Best Series of 2017.

It also got a nod from Doug for Best Letterer (Corey Petit, who did the Hive arc).

It also got a nod from Doug for Best Letterer (Corey Petit, who did the Hive arc).
    Good choice!

I'm not sure I would put All-New Wolverine at the very top for 2017, but I would definitely say it was the most consistent in terms of entertainment value, overall fun, and quality. It might not have been the most revolutionary book of 2017. It really couldn't be since it began in the aftermath of Secret Wars, but it kept finding ways to be great and very few comics can say that.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

So many feels with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Happy New Year folk's. Stay safe out there!

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post

That could have been a cool scene in LOGAN. We kniw Mariko gave him the costume in that the Wolverine deleted scene. This future world Laura could have found it and played with it. That way the mask is canon. Could have been a nice nod.
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post

I remember seeing this a while back. Still puts a smile on my face for all the right reasons.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member

And another article by them on why ANW is good.

http://www.comicosity.com/transmysci...17-with-claws/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    And another article by them on why ANW is good.

http://www.comicosity.com/transmysci...17-with-claws/
    I was just coming here to post that after I saw it on Taylor's Twitter. They bring up a lot of excellent points; the book may not be PERFECT and has had its down moments, but it's quality is very much a "sum of its parts" measurement.

I definitely agree with them on the art team issue. I think the Morissett-Pham/Virella rotation really hurt EotSII. Virella just didn't bring the emotion a kinetic action the arc required, and Morissett's pencils were a noticeable step back from Lopez and Takara (and I just couldn't not be distracted by the funky shading that made everyone look like they had charcoal on their noses). The book really needs a consistent art team, and I wish that Cabal — a few funky Gabby faces aside — was sticking around long-term. His creative use of text and panels gives the series a unique visual look that sets it apart from the other books out there.

The commentary on how it tears down the whole "Female Child Assassin" archetype is particularly interesting. Taylor moving Laura away from her killer past has certainly been one of the bigger points of contention for X-23 fans, but the article makes a superb point that it's not something occurring in a vacuum — even Cassandra and, on the gender flip side, Damien — are being pushed beyond those origins.

Definitely a great article.

BANNED

Agreed! I'm definitely in the camp that really likes the direction Taylor has taken Laura (and wishes DC would take inspiration from this for Cass.)

This also reminded me of a great fic I read awhile ago that I feel like sharing. http://renaroo.tumblr.com/post/16027...ibling-complex

The commentary on how it tears down the whole "Female Child Assassin" archetype is particularly interesting. Taylor moving Laura away from her killer past has certainly been one of the bigger points of contention for X-23 fans, but the article makes a superb point that it's not something occurring in a vacuum — even Cassandra and, on the gender flip side, Damien — are being pushed beyond those origins.

I kinda find that sentiment funny, given that that seems like it was always what the character's story was building to. Mileage may vary.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)