Page 144 of 231 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154194 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 3451

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    TBH everything up to the point where Nori shows up is great. The interactions, the relationship buildup between Jubes and the various X-Kids, and the earlier monologue when she was alone were all great. But, I guess Cebulski-san needed a "bully character" to come after Jubes for "being human now." First, the premise doesn't work because all the NXM, at that point, wouldn't have anything against depowered mutants. Nori, especially, because she still wanted Prodigy to stay even though he's a human now.

I mean, usually Surge is angry when it makes sense. The unnecessary hostility between the two came out of nowhere, just to make some halfassed point about how "we're mutants even without our powers" which SURGE SHOULD ALREADY KNOW.
    Tbh, this story was my first exposure to Surge, and after I read it I assumed that’s who she was - a nasty, angry bully. It wasn’t until I read more NXM later on that I realized that wasn’t the case. And I don’t believe that manufactured hostility between Jubilee and Nori was ever repeated (that I’m aware of).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Tbh, this story was my first exposure to Surge, and after I read it I assumed that’s who she was - a nasty, angry bully. It wasn’t until I read more NXM later on that I realized that wasn’t the case. And I don’t believe that manufactured hostility between Jubilee and Nori was ever repeated (that I’m aware of).
    It was the first of several scenes that would plague Surge, where from that point on where she was unreasonably bitchy to other girls to make them more sympathetic. It was the start of a pattern.

The scene in X-23 was also pretty bad. And Gage's X-men Legacy. And Avengers Academy.

BANNED

Surge deserved better

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Yeah, it was definitely a one time thing between the two. I can really only write it off as bad writing. And it's so weird because Shogun CB wrote another Surge-centric story that perfectly encapsulated her Post-M Day character. So seeing him write her like as some offensive jerk for no reason was whiplash.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    It was the first of several scenes that would plague Surge, where from that point on where she was unreasonably bitchy to other girls to make them more sympathetic. It was the start of a pattern.

The scene in X-23 was also pretty bad. And Gage's X-men Legacy. And Avengers Academy.
    Yeah, she really got the short end of the stick. Her best appearances during Utopia was just whenever she wasn't talking, sadly. But I can vouch for Legacy and AvAc. In Legacy, this was coming off the heel of Schism, which was another event that shut out the students who probably should've had a larger voice in the debate. Rogue and #teamWolverine try to feed the remaining Utopia kids some BS about how the new school has changed for the better, so they should just drop all their ideals and run back. Luckily, Dust had Surge's back:

AvAc was almost worse, cause this was right when the Avengers kidnapped the Utopia kids amd placed them in what can only be described as an internment camp because of AvX. The AvAc kids didn't really know any better, but the X-Kids noticed what they were being subjugated to. Sure, Surge could've put it in nicer words but the same message would've come across.

I miss Jay Guthrie!

BANNED

Cut to the quick should be Surge's middle name... Also in the end all the avengers academy kids were sent to Limbo, at least the NXM are background...

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Yeah, it was definitely a one time thing between the two. I can really only write it off as bad writing. And it's so weird because Shogun CB wrote another Surge-centric story that perfectly encapsulated her Post-M Day character. So seeing him write her like as some offensive jerk for no reason was whiplash.

Yeah, she really got the short end of the stick. Her best appearances during Utopia was just whenever she wasn't talking, sadly. But I can vouch for Legacy and AvAc. In Legacy, this was coming off the heel of Schism, which was another event that shut out the students who probably should've had a larger voice in the debate. Rogue and #teamWolverine try to feed the remaining Utopia kids some BS about how the new school has changed for the better, so they should just drop all their ideals and run back. Luckily, Dust had Surge's back:

AvAc was almost worse, cause this was right when the Avengers kidnapped the Utopia kids amd placed them in what can only be described as an internment camp because of AvX. The AvAc kids didn't really know any better, but the X-Kids noticed what they were being subjugated to. Sure, Surge could've put it in nicer words but the same message would've come across.
    I was misremembering how large a role she played in Gage's X-Men Legacy.
    But Avengers Academy was still pretty bad. Her points were reasonable but she was still explicitly written as a "mean girl" treating X-23 like an outsider, the text even points that out as they leave at the end of the arc. (Also she looks caucasian as hell in that art so that's a lot of strikes)

Also Dust was the one who called Surge a "b-word" in Marjorie Liu's X-23 so I'd hardly say she has Noriko's back.

Couple of things.

1) I liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive for that scene in Legacy with Dust and Nori laying that truth out for Rogue and company. Love it. So Gorgeous. I miss these people SO MUCH.
    2) Dust later calling Nori a "b-word" was less insulting and more observational. She was identifying Nori's behavior, rather than simply calling her names. At least, that's how I interpreted that scene, because let's be real -- anyone who followed the drama that was their star crossed roommate time is going to recognize that Nori routinely gave Sooraya a hard time about her beliefs, her behavior, her dress, etc etc. so she's very familiar with Nori's nonsense faux rebellion shock(haha)-value confrontation broo ha ha. The fact that she says "b-word" speaks heavily to Sooraya's temperament.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I was misremembering how large a role she played in Gage's X-Men Legacy.
    But Avengers Academy was still pretty bad. Her points were reasonable but she was still explicitly written as a "mean girl" treating X-23 like an outsider, the text even points that out as they leave at the end of the arc. (Also she looks caucasian as hell in that art so that's a lot of strikes)

Also Dust was the one who called Surge a "b-word" in Marjorie Liu's X-23 so I'd hardly say she has Noriko's back.
    She barely talked to Laura during the crossover, so I always assumed she was apologizing for what happened during Liu's run.

Pretty sure it's commonplace that Nori and Sooraya are besties. They had major disagreements when they first met, with Nori being a HUGE Islamophobe. But apparently something happened between the two because they hang out all the time. And I doubt that one fight in that hilariously badly-written fight between Laura and Nori, where Dust calls her the B-word would dictate something happening years later.

Astonishing Member

I never cared much for Surge, but I wish she didnt need to use those gauntlets to control her powers. I am not a fan of characters needing a machine to handle their powers.

i might be in the minority but I always kinda enjoyed the "animosity" between Laura and Nori

Your not gunna get along with everyone you meet, and more often than not your gunna end up working people you don't like or rub you the wrong way...but in the end you have to be professional and such.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I never cared much for Surge, but I wish she didnt need to use those gauntlets to control her powers. I am not a fan of characters needing a machine to handle their powers.
    She probably would've moved past them if they actually used her.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

I was actually a little confused by Surge, at first. I came into the book after the individual teams had dissolved, and Emma had arranged a big free for all in the Danger Room to see who was going to be on the new combined team, and read for about a year or so after that (the fight with Nimrod, etc.), and Surge just sort of stood around and threw lightning from her gloves a lot. I had no idea she also had super-speed, since she was never drawn running any faster than anyone else on the team (at least in the issues I had), so I was kind of put off that she seemed to have a single power that she apparently needed a machine to use properly in the first place, making her a better mutant than, say, Beak (and right up there with Jetstream, who needs a machine to be almost as good as Cannonball...), but still not particularly thrilling.

Seeing her move around a lot, more like Jolt, of the Thunderbolts, would have probably sold me on her much sooner, as I love hyper-kinetic fast-moving and / or acrobatic sorts, like Nightcrawler or Spider-Man (or Jolt!).

Then again, too much jumping around and her being Jolt 2.0 (Japanese teen girl mutant speedster with lightning? Check all the boxes!) might have been even more obvious.

Sorry to keep gushing about Pixie Strikes Back, but this scene between Megan and Emma gets me everytime:

Unpopular opinion: I love Dani with all my heart, but Emma is the best teacher the NXM have ever gotten. No matter how many times the classes have been screwed over or pushed her away, she would always drop everything to protect them.

Removing that removes some of the distinctiveness of her design. Kind of like how removing Cyclop's need for the visor would just make him another white guy with brown hair in the MU.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    i might be in the minority but I always kinda enjoyed the "animosity" between Laura and Nori

Your not gunna get along with everyone you meet, and more often than not your gunna end up working people you don't like or rub you the wrong way...but in the end you have to be professional and such.
    If it had been properly more defeated, I would like a little rivalry between the two. Though, it should be on something like leadership or even a clash of personalities, but making it about "something something Julian something something" ruins the story for me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    She probably would've moved past them if they actually used her.
    I don't know why this happened. But Surge is pretty much the legacy character of a fake character.
    In the early 2000s, we had a short Uncanny X-Men run, the Casey run that introduced Stacy X, that had a story about Banshee being all militaristic and having his own team of mutant cops, I think that is when X-Force was created. The sister of Sunfire was killed in that run by Mystique.
    There was a Surge (a character with that codename) in that Banshee team, a male, with electricity powers and gauntlets like those of Surge. But he was actually Mystique, who had infiltrated the team, and the gauntlets are how she faked having electric powers.
    I guess the people who created Surge (the new xmen), like that concept