View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 14 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824641145141014 ... LastLast
    Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

IMPORTANT LGBT COMICS
    (2005) Young Avengers vol. 1 #1-12 [AWARDED 2006 GLAAD MEDIA AWARD]
    (2013) Fearless Defenders #1-13
    (2013) Young Avengers vol. 2 #1-15 [AWARDED 2014 GLAAD MEDIA AWARD]

Great list Kieran. Don't forget to add X-factor for winning a GLAAD in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Chaos View Post
    Thanks for taking up the time to create this thread, Kieran. LGBT heroes always deserve so me love, and I long for the day when we can see a big name character come out of the closet.
    Awwww, thank-you kindly. As for "outing a big name" who would be the best contender? I still think Iceman has the most 'ground work' for that (Emma accused him of being gay).

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Chaos View Post
    Out of everyone on the poll, while it was a tough call to choose between Billy and Teddy.... yeah, I had to give my vote to Hulkling as my favorite. I've been out of comics for a few years, and while I've yet to pick up Kieron Gillen's Young Avengers run, I really felt for the guy, with everything he had to go through in Allan Heinberg's time writing him. Losing his Mom, feeling like a true outsider, realizing your life is a lie... I obviously can't fully relate in that aspect, but at the same time, he has such wonderful romantic chemistry with Wiccan. Definitely a fantastic written couple that gives me hope for other writers to introduce a sweet romance like that.
    Oh you must, it's the most beautiful relationship I've ever read in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I've always been a bit surprised at the level of backlash over that. I mean, yes, ABSOLUTELY it would have been preferable for Dumbledore's orientation to have been made clearer in the book. But when Rowling made that statement in the interview, I did not take that as new information--I took it as confirmation of subtext I had already felt was there when I was reading the book. When reading the stuff about Dumbledore's youth and friendship with Grindlewald, I had always felt she was implying something gay there, so I have always been surprised at how many people say it was something she made up after the fact. I realize it was subtle and would slip past a lot of readers....but I didn't think it was that subtle that people would deny that it was there once it was pointed out.
    For me it's purely JK Rowling showed no such "subtly" when it came to straight relationships, seems a little disingenuous/cowardly to apply that to the only homosexual relationship in her books. If she'd outed him in the last book it would have still be a massive smash hit in sales, she had nothing to fear.

Stonewall, on the other hand, I agree had no hints or subtext--aside from his codename, which was unintentional on Hickman's part. Hopefully his alleged LGBT Avenger(s) will fare a bit better...either under him, or under Spencer in AVENGERS WORLD
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I'm becoming doubtful it'll show up in World. Most of the new characters have already had their spotlight issues come and go. There's still Nightmask, but he comes across as being a bit above it all, so I'm not sure how likely he is to be gay or bisexual.
    I'm still annoyed that, two years in, we still haven't actually gotten even a clue about who the LGBT character is. I honestly wonder if it's actually going to be revealed on-panel, or if Hickman's going to just leave it to be revealed in an interview again.
    To be honest I doubt it will ever happen. It's a huge shame that both Hickman and Bendis, when their new series were announced, BOTH confirmed one of the cast is LGBT. Bendis fullfilled this promise in 14 issues when he outed Benjamin Deeds in one of the most critically praised issues of his run. Hickman is at what? 24 (+6 for World) issues, and still nothing. The ONLY way I can see him recover from this is if he outs Sunspot/Cannonball; which means the Cannonball/Smasher romance was him building to this. That would make up for it, in my eyes.

Out of curiosity, has Hickman ever had an openly LGBT character in any of his works? I haven't read his creator-owned stuff, so I don't know if he's had any LGBT characters in any of those.
    To my knowledge, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    Yes, loved Peter Davids' rendering of Shatterstar and Longshots' relationship (and I do not mean romance)at the end of X-Factor last run.And his use of gay characters in general. Kudos to him.
    He did such a great job, agreed. It's a shame his latest series lacks the broad diversity of his last run, BUT a female leader is always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlad View Post
    Great list Kieran. Don't forget to add X-factor for winning a GLAAD in 2011.
    Oh, didn't know that, cool. Will add that to the list.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-13-2014 at 01:10 AM.

For me it's purely JK Rowling showed no such "subtly" when it came to straight relationships, seems a little disingenuous/cowardly to apply that to the only homosexual relationship in her books. If she'd outed him in the last book it would have still be a massive smash hit in sales, she had nothing to fear.
    It's that kind of invisibility and afterthought mentality that authors have that frustrate me, and what JK Rowling did (in such a ship-heavy series as Harry Potter) was no exception. Either have visible LGBT characters or don't, but don't try to play coy and scramble for them after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    Yes, loved Peter Davids' rendering of Shatterstar and Longshots' relationship (and I do not mean romance)at the end of X-Factor last run.And his use of gay characters in general. Kudos to him.
    Their relationship was well made. Peter David has a pretty good handle of gay characters, and I've enjoyed many of his works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    It's that kind of invisibility and afterthought mentality that authors have that frustrate me, and what JK Rowling did (in such a ship-heavy series as Harry Potter) was no exception. Either have visible LGBT characters or don't, but don't try to play coy and scramble for them after the fact.
    THIS! So much this! Which is why it's frustrating seeing people defend Hickman's lack of LGBT Avenger and "outing Stonewall in an interview". We are more than an after thought. We are more than a footnote in some interview. Now, back in 1991, fine; this would fly. But it's 2014, it's not okay that we are represented by a tweet and not in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    Their relationship was well made. Peter David has a pretty good handle of gay characters, and I've enjoyed many of his works.
    Agreed. AND (I didn't learn this till today) nominated three times (winning once) for the GLAAD media award... pretty epic!

Astonishing Member

LGBT MINI-SERIES
    (1994) Northstar #1-4
    (1996) Sabertooth & Mystique #1-4
    (2010) Avengers: Children's Crusade #1-12 [nom. 2011 GLAAD Media Award] [nom. 2012 GLAAD Media Award]
    Don't forget the QUASAR miniseries starring Phyla-Vell from 2007--Marvel's first solo project with an out lesbian as the title character (and with her relationship being displayed on-panel).

Also the two RAWHIDE KID miniseries from the MAX line.

Astonishing Member

I get that, but one also has to look at the context. Dumbledore's relationship was something that took place in the distant past--it wasn't part of the present storyline like all the romances for the lead characters. It was being discussed by people after the fact, and by people who didn't know all the details because Dumbledore was very private (as well as dead, at that point, and therefore unable to provide his own viewpoint).

It would absolutely have been great to have things spelled out a bit more clearly, and/or have had some other LGBT characters mixed in with that huge cast of supporting characters. But its a little unfair to compare the portrayal of Dumbledore's relationship (in exposition of something that took place decades ago) with the romances of the lead characters taking place in the present day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran Frost
    To be honest I doubt it will ever happen. It's a huge shame that both Hickman and Bendis, when their new series were announced, BOTH confirmed one of the cast is LGBT. Bendis fullfilled this promise in 14 issues when he outed Benjamin Deeds in one of the most critically praised issues of his run. Hickman is at what? 24 (+6 for World) issues, and still nothing.
    Keep in mind that Hickman never promised to 'out' the character though--in fact, he specifically said that unless it became relevant to the plot, he had no intention to address it at all (a position I really disagree with). So, to be fair, Hickman warned us up front that he had no plans to out the character.

Astonishing Member

I'm becoming doubtful it'll show up in World. Most of the new characters have already had their spotlight issues come and go. There's still Nightmask, but he comes across as being a bit above it all, so I'm not sure how likely he is to be gay or bisexual.

Starbrand and Hyperion struck me as the most likely candidates, but Starbrand's spotlight makes that feel less likely.
    Just because they've had a single spotlight issue go by without anything doesn't mean it can't/won't be addressed in a later issue though. I do still feel that Spencer is more likely to deal with it than Hickman, since Hickman has said flat-out that he's not dealing with it unless its plot-relevant, whereas Spencer is spending more time fleshing out character.

Keep in mind that Hickman never promised to 'out' the character though--in fact, he specifically said that unless it became relevant to the plot, he had no intention to address it at all (a position I really disagree with). So, to be fair, Hickman warned us up front that he had no plans to out the character.
    And I am guessing since his run is set to end in May of 2015, and there doesn't appear to be any breathing room in the plot, we most likely will never know.

BANNED

This thread is awesome. Me likey a lot.

o

Extraordinary Member

Just because they've had a single spotlight issue go by without anything doesn't mean it can't/won't be addressed in a later issue though. I do still feel that Spencer is more likely to deal with it than Hickman, since Hickman has said flat-out that he's not dealing with it unless its plot-relevant, whereas Spencer is spending more time fleshing out character.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=22104

This MAY get addressed in the upcoming issue of Avengers World given the way the dialogue is going.

But its Hickman and Spenser. So nothing concrete will happen anythime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I believe she is alive but I'm not sure if she still has dragon powers but I will say no.

Also I believe in one comic Mystique tries to seduce Storm.
    She's still alive, and she's not a dragon. At least, as of her last appearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Heather was last seen in Guardians of the Galaxy, IIRC (pre-Bendis run), dating Phyla-Vell. She's back to being a hot super-telepath / super-telekinetic, and a snarky sort of good-guy.
    Thanks for the responses. I hope that she really is back to her old bossy, egostical, know-it-all, smug self.

Incredible Member

there are a lot of characters that have been mentioned here that I actually rather like but I think my favorite has to be Shatterstar, just love the way Peter David handled him in X-Factor and really hope to see him pop up again sometime soon. Always liked his dynamic with Rictor, particularly when the latter would educate Star in all the random trivial pop culture references running around in the world. Hulking and Wiccan have always been enjoyable though for me it's always been more about what they are as characters than their relationship with one another. Anole is just a fun character to read about, particularly when he's paired up with Santos doing something stupid. I think that Marvel could probably expand on Lightspeed a bit more than they have but dont see it happening anytime in the imminant future which is a real shame. And Northstar is one of those character I think could probably be in charge of his own team, Alpha Flight, with a little work.

It seems doubtful that anyone will get more than a single spotlight issue of World. Outside their spotlight issues, they seem to basically become supporting characters at best. And while it's possible that a character's sexuality will be revealed in an issue that's not actually about that character, it seems less likely. It seems like that sort of reveal would be done in an issue focused on the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I hope that she really is back to her old bossy, egostical, know-it-all, smug self.
    I actually liked that she'd become a little softer. I liked the growth. I'd be disappointed if she comes back and is acting like her 1970s self.

It seems doubtful that anyone will get more than a single spotlight issue of World. Outside their spotlight issues, they seem to basically become supporting characters at best. And while it's possible that a character's sexuality will be revealed in an issue that's not actually about that character, it seems less likely. It seems like that sort of reveal would be done in an issue focused on the character.

I actually liked that she'd become a little softer. I liked the growth. I'd be disappointed if she comes back and is acting like her 1970s self.
    I like that she's softer with Phyla yeah but I want her to still maintain that superiority complex around others. Phyla should be the only one to see her softer side.

Awwww, thank-you kindly. As for "outing a big name" who would be the best contender? I still think Iceman has the most 'ground work' for that (Emma accused him of being gay).
    Iceman might as well embrace the "joke" and make it official, I still have hopes for his teen self after Bendis hinted he might be getting convinced about exploring his sexuality.

And I'd like to see Loki as liberated as Daken was. While his new series has been great, his bisexuality has been barely shown so far. Mystique, too... even if at this point she's become a baby-making plot device.

Still, Marvel is still missing a "big name" queer character on the scale of DC's Batwoman. While Northstar is their token gay, he's nowhere near her level in name recognition and neither are any of the teen characters or those who are part of a team. I don't know of any character that could fill the bill unless it was a new legacy character like Kamala Khan or Miles Morales.