Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default An X-line with no character overlap

It seems every time a new team book is announced, a good portion of the members are already appearing in other titles, hogging spotlight from fan favorites that stay stuck in limbo indefinitely.
    The X-men have tons of great characters, but the X-office doesn't do the best job putting them to their best use.
    If you were to adjust the line to get rid of all the character overlap between books and (also all the alternate versions of characters already appearing) what would the X-line look like?

I'm just gonna list my ideas for the line:

Gold:
    • Leader - Jean Grey
    • Shadowcat
    • Nightcrawler
    • Frenzy
    • Armour
    • Cannonball
    • Iceman

Blue:
    • Leader - Storm
    • Colossus
    • Rachel Grey
    • Pixie
    • Sunspot
    • Wolverine (Laura)
    • Northstar

Uncanny:
    • Leader - Moonstar
    • Co-leader - Cypher
    • Dust
    • Hellion
    • Surge
    • Ink
    • Anole
    • Rockslide
    • Mercury

X-Men:
    • Leader - Emma Frost
    • Havok
    • Danger
    • Elixir
    • Xorn
    • Warpath
    • Magik

X-treme:
    • Leader - Bishop
    • Co-leader: Polaris
    • Gambit
    • Boom-Boom
    • Longshot

X-Force:
    • Leader- Cable
    • Psylocke
    • Domino
    • Wolverine
    • Lady Deathstrike
    • Sabretooth
    • Archangel

X-Factor:
    • Leader- Madrox
    • M
    • Tempus
    • Hijack
    • Rictor
    • Siryn
    • Strong Guy
    • Shatterstar

Can't find a place for Rogue - I'm working on it
    I’ve just published my very first work on ‘Archive of Our Own’, under the same name as here. It is the first chapter of ‘I Am My Own Best Friend ~ An Emma Frost Road Trip’, which focuses on Emma between the events of IvX and Secret Empire, including the White Queen going on a road trip, to try and have fun!

You can read the story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15795663

I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it!

The way I'd do it:
    First, get rid of all the color names. It's especially chaotic when there isn't even consistency in how it's used (see AXM) and the colors don't help identify what each book is about. I'd focus on making each book have a clear mission statement.

Uncanny X-men (formerly Red): The book that's actually steering the franchise forward. Jean and Storm as co-leads trying hard to make the dream a lasting reality.
    Jean Grey
    Storm
    Namor
    Gentle
    Laura
    Cannonball (when he's not in space)
    Trinary

Astonishing X-men: the X-men PR team, acting as very public superheroes to improve the world's perception of mutants.
    Rogue
    Iceman
    Angel
    Dazzler
    Northstar
    Psylocke
    Gambit
    Havok
    Monet

New Mutants: and NGO offering aid to mutants in dire situations across the globe. The book would have a rotating cast composed of graduates from many of the younger generations.
    Karma as the founder - coordinator
    Sunspot as the funder
    Dani as field leader
    Wolfsbane, Magma, Rictor as heads of international outposts ala X-Corporation
    Prodigy and Husk: intel
    Surge, Chamber, Dust and other young mutants: rotating field teams.

X-men Legacy: The school book. Many of the students would have graduated: some would join the New Mutants, some would simply get on with their lives away from the X-men and some would become members of the school's field team, running search and rescue missions for young mutants and protecting the school from threats. This last group would be Legacy's focus.
    Kitty Pryde - headmistress
    Armor - field leader
    Pixie
    Anole
    Rockslide
    Oya
    Quire
    Kid Gladiator

X-force: the book focused on ensuring mutantkind's survival. Not a kill squad, but would viewed as terrorists by the world.
    Cable
    Domino
    Deadpool
    Boom Boom
    Magik
    Warpath
    Sunfire

X-factor: Polaris and co trying to restore Genosha and making sure it lasts as example of unity.
    Polaris
    Beast
    Quicksilver
    Synapse
    Frenzy
    Danger
    Xorn

There you go. The same amount of books, but Red would become UXM, Gold would become Legacy, Blue would become X-factor and Weapon X would give way to X-force.
    Each with a unique mission statement and cast.
    Last edited by Factor; 04-15-2018 at 11:17 AM.

That X-Factor team looks like a merger of the current Blue 2.0 and the Uncanny Avengers. Frenzy's the only member not on either team. And yeah, despite her not being a mutant, it would make sense for Synapse to go wherever Quicksilver does.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That X-Factor team looks like a merger of the current Blue 2.0 and the Uncanny Avengers. Frenzy's the only member not on either team. And yeah, despite her not being a mutant, it would make sense for Synapse to go wherever Quicksilver does.
    Yeah, my X-factor idea started as a new Unity Squad. I think it makes sense for them to fight for Genosha's reconstruction as a symbol of unity and I don't think the concept should be tied to the Avengers.
    Frenzy just makes too much sense for a Genoshan team and she's awesome

In my opinion in order to have an X-line with no overlap, each team should have no more than five characters, that way each member gets enough panel time, focus and development.
    I don't want another Astonishing with a great but huge roster where only a couple of characters get all the attention and the rest are pretty much wallpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    In my opinion in order to have an X-line with no overlap, each team should have no more than five characters, that way each member gets enough panel time, focus and development.
    I don't want another Astonishing with a great but huge roster where only a couple of characters get all the attention and the rest are pretty much wallpaper.
    I think 7 is an okay number for a team. Astonishing's 9 really is pushing it, but generally good team book writers can do a decent job with 7 members.
    It's just that some writers don't really know how to juggle large casts. Lemire is one, and it looks like Soule is another.
    I LOVED his Swamp Thing, but his AXM has been lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    The way I'd do it:
    First, get rid of all the color names. It's especially chaotic when there isn't even consistency in how it's used (see AXM) and the colors don't help identify what each book is about. I'd focus on making each book have a clear mission statement.

Uncanny X-men (formerly Red): The book that's actually steering the franchise forward. Jean and Storm as co-leads trying hard to make the dream a lasting reality.
    Jean Grey
    Storm
    Namor
    Gentle
    Laura
    Trinary

Astonishing X-men: the X-men PR team, acting as very public superheroes to improve the world's perception of mutants.
    Rogue
    Iceman
    Angel
    Dazzler
    Northstar
    Psylocke
    Gambit
    Havok
    Monet

New Mutants: and NGO offering aid to mutants in dire situations across the globe. The book would have a rotating cast composed of graduates from many of the younger generations.
    Sunspot as the funder
    Dani as field leader

X-men Legacy: The school book. Many of the students would have graduated: some would join the New Mutants, some would simply get on with their lives away from the X-men and some would become members of the school's field team, running search and rescue missions for young mutants and protecting the school from threats. This last group would be Legacy's focus.
    Armor - field leader
    Pixie
    Anole
    Rockslide
    Oya
    Quire
    Kid Gladiator

X-force: the book focused on ensuring mutantkind's survival. Not a kill squad, but would viewed as terrorists by the world.
    Cable
    Domino
    Deadpool
    Boom Boom
    Magik
    Warpath
    Sunfire

X-factor: Polaris and co trying to restore Genosha and making sure it lasts as example of unity.
    Polaris
    Beast
    Quicksilver
    Synapse
    Frenzy
    Danger
    Xorn

There you go. The same amount of books, but Red would become UXM, Gold would become Legacy, Blue would become X-factor and Weapon X would give way to X-force.
    I love this

This is perfect. Wish they would do this in the June relaunch

The way I'd do it:

Jean Grey
    Storm
    Namor
    Gentle
    Laura
    Trinary

Rogue
    Iceman
    Angel
    Dazzler
    Northstar
    Psylocke
    Gambit
    Havok
    Monet

Sunspot as the funder
    Dani as field leader

Armor - field leader
    Pixie
    Anole
    Rockslide
    Oya
    Quire
    Kid Gladiator

Cable
    Domino
    Deadpool
    Boom Boom
    Magik
    Warpath
    Sunfire

Polaris
    Beast
    Quicksilver
    Synapse
    Frenzy
    Danger
    Xorn

Awesome. Add Jubes as co-field leader with Dani on NM (that title potentially has the biggest team roster - just sayin’) and it’s perfect. Nice arrangement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Staying with the current line with one additional book. The one we all asked about for years.

Gold
    Storm
    Prestige
    Iceman
    Rogue
    Magma
    Armor
    Ink
    Sunspot

Kitty off the team being only headmaster

Blue
    Polaris
    Gazing Nightshade
    Danger
    Emma Frost
    The Cuckoos
    Shen Xorn
    Hellion
    X-23

Magneto not on team but be their headmaster. Alternative member gone.

Red
    Jean
    Namor
    Gentle
    Honey Badger
    Gambit
    Tritany
    Chamber
    Jubilee

Weapon X
    Wolverine
    Lady Deathstrike
    Domino
    Elixer
    Vanished
    Psylocke
    Archangel
    Surge

Astonishing
    Beast
    Dazzler
    Havok
    Warpath
    Colossus
    Cannonball
    Boom Boom
    Bishop

New Mutants
    Magik
    Rictor
    Wolfsbane
    Moonstar
    Mercury
    Shatterstar

New X-Men
    Rockslide
    Anole
    Indra
    Trance
    Bling!
    Hope
    Blindfold
    Dust

No more student. A young X-Men team
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

The way I'd do it:

Jean Grey
    Storm
    Namor
    Gentle
    Laura
    Trinary

Rogue
    Iceman
    Angel
    Dazzler
    Northstar
    Psylocke
    Gambit
    Havok
    Monet

Sunspot as the funder
    Dani as field leader

Armor - field leader
    Pixie
    Anole
    Rockslide
    Oya
    Quire
    Kid Gladiator

Cable
    Domino
    Deadpool
    Boom Boom
    Magik
    Warpath
    Sunfire

Polaris
    Beast
    Quicksilver
    Synapse
    Frenzy
    Danger
    Xorn

Awesome. Thank you for this.

BANNED

They could do this with the current lineups, just tweak Gold a bit.

I thank the lord that some of you are not in charge at Marvel. Thank you jesus!!!

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I agree on getting rid of the colored names. They make no sense at all and don't really help with much of anything. That said, having in-universe squads referred to by these colors is... fine.
    Secondly, I would unite all teams under the idea of a so-called "nation X" or "Mutant Nation" as it's being presented in X-Men Red. Also, outside of the mentors in New Mutants, I have kept each team to seven members.

Uncanny X-Men: These are the so-called 'primary' X-Men that are helping to further along the progression of Nation X. These X-Men not only operate as superheroes in protecting both mutantkind and the world but as a council of leaders for mutantkind, and as a result of their differing ideologies may not always get along but will almost always operate with mutantkind's best interests at heart... as long as they agree as to what that is.

Jean Grey
    Magneto
    Storm
    Nightcrawler
    Rogue
    Cyclops
    Moonstar

Astonishing X-Men: These are the X-Men that are, effectively, the face of the team. They are the ones going out and actively doing missions that otherwise might be done by the Avengers and that are distinctly aligned against the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

Iceman
    Dazzler
    Northstar
    Monet
    Thunderbird (John Proudstar)
    Shadowcat
    Extraordinary X-Men is the exploratory team. They're the ones that are actively going on adventures to space, or to the Savage Land, in the name of expanding mutant outreach and clarifying whether or not there are mutants in these places they aren't sure of yet.

Revenant (Rachel Grey)
    Havok
    Omega Sentinel
    Bishop
    Cecelia Reyes
    Beast
    Warpath

New Mutants: The school team. Training the next generation of mutants to be able to cope with their gifts in the real world as well as potentially go on to become the world's next generation of superheroes.

Emma Frost - Mentor
    Banshee - Mentor

Armor
    Kid Omega
    Dust
    Indra
    Bling!
    Velocidad
    Mercury

X-Force: The team that's willing to go to whatever lengths they have to in order to protect mutantkind. A mix of paramilitaristic and wetworks by nature, this team does what it is that the others refuse to and acts clandestinely under the radar.

Cable
    Psylocke
    Sabretooth
    Boom Boom
    Archangel
    Domino
    Bedlam

X-Factor: Effectively, X-Factor is a unity squad. A team of X-Men that operates independently and openly embraces heroes of all different kinds and creeds in an effort to show that Jean Grey's dream of mutant integration is not only possible, but reasonable.

Polaris
    Quicksilver
    Quake
    Inferno
    Magik
    Juggernaut
    Synapse
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Uncanny X-Men
    Jean Grey & Moonstar ( co leaders)
    Iceman
    Monet
    Xorn
    Warpath
    Link (Shola)
    Trinary

eXtraordinary Avengers
    Storm & Citizen V ( co leaders)
    Beast
    Quicksilver