Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default How will or would Disney, Sony and Marvel explain the events of One More Day to a child ?

This topic was on the older forums, but I thought it could be brought back considering recent events: As you know Spider-man is coming into the MCU version of Civil War thanks to a deal between Sony, Marvel and Disney and we all know how THAT EVENT turned out in the comics and lead into the dreaded OMD event.

So given that Disney's All about family friendly fun, I thought it would be interesting to ask all of you, fans of Spider-man, how would or will Disney, Marvel and Sony explain the events of One More Day to the kid audience that enjoys Spider-man very much ?

How can they explain one of the most popular Superheroes makes a deal with an incarnation of Evil itself ?

I will also allow the usual "Disney's an evil manipulative Corporation" as a reason too.
    Last edited by Cmbmool; 09-06-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

When a mummy and daddy love each other very much, they turn to the devil.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    This topic was on the older forums...
    FFS. Really? It was close to 10 years ago.
    There is no realistic world where a kid is going to ask their parent about that divisive comic book from 2007.

"Mom?"
    "Yes, dear."
    "Can you explain to me the season ender of NBC's failed Bionic Woman reboot?"
    "What? Why?"
    "How about the plot to the movie Norbit?"
    "Kid? What the heck is wrong with you? You weren't even born yet?"
    "I have to know, Mom! I have to KNOW! Also... Is it okay if I go online and start up 10 threads about the MC2 universe on CBR's Spider-Man Message Board?"
    "Sure, kid. Knock yourself out."

Edit: According to Tumblr, this post is evil. And harassing. And wrong. Don't ever write a post like this. Or you will go to Tumblr-hell. No. Really.
    Last edited by Dan Slott; 09-12-2015 at 10:38 AM.

To Borrow another one of Marvel's properties, Marvel, Sony &/or Disney could use "The Chewbacca Explaination/Defence" to explain the events of OMD to a child

My explanation to the child asking about OMD would be "Kid, OMD was a British group that was big in the 80's, as to how Spider Man got dragged into OMD I do not know, my memory is a bit foggy "
    Last edited by Blu_Spyder; 09-07-2015 at 04:55 AM.
    Meet the new Blu_Spyder,
    same as the old Arachne_Azure

"If Life doesn't give you some sugar to go with the lemons
    your lemonade is gonna suck
    "

"Everything and everyone you know will die one day and no one in this cold, uncaring universe will even bat an eye."

BANNED

"You were an accident. Now keep stirring, we have meth to cook."

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    This topic was on the older forums, but I thought it could be brought back considering recent events: As you know Spider-man is coming into the MCU version of Civil War thanks to a deal between Sony, Marvel and Disney and we all know how THAT EVENT turned out in the comics and lead into the dreaded OMD event.

So given that Disney's All about family friendly fun, I thought it would be interesting to ask all of you, fans of Spider-man, how would or will Disney, Marvel and Sony explain the events of One More Day to the kid audience that enjoys Spider-man very much ?

How can they explain one of the most popular Superheroes makes a deal with an incarnation of Evil itself ?
    You do it.

"OK Kid it's really simple....

Peter Parker revealed his identity to the world because it seemed like a good idea at the time. As it turns out, it wasn't and someone tried to shoot Mary Jane. Fortunately they missed. Yay! Unfortunately, they hit Aunt May. Boo! Worse yet, she was hit with a magical bullet of plot convenience that baffled a whole bunch people who had frequently visited other dimensions, travelled through time and could do actual magic. Pete was kinda bummed, but luckily an all powerful Demon appeared who was sort of the Devil and said he'd make Aunt May better and all he wanted was Peter and MJ's marriage because... ummm... becaaaaause....

Anyway, Peter agrees because allowing an all-powerful-entity to fundamentally change the entire universe for your own needs is totally cool and heroic. Then some stuff with a pigeon already happened, MJ doesn't want to have kids... or does... or did.. or didn't. Harry Osborne comes back from the dead because reasons, Pete and MJ aren't married, but were together but aren't together now because....errrm... Hey d'you want some candy!?"

See. Simples.

Course, if the same kid then asks why Black Cat turned evil, I'm out.

Mommy and Daddy use to love ether other a lot, so we married and we had you. But unfortunately your 80 years old great-aunt was very sick and noboby could cure her disease, so we made a deal with the devil to your aunt live 10 more years (because she have heart problems, so there is no way she lives more than that) and thanks to this deal, your parents neves married and you don't exist anymore.

Yes, my son, people who make deals with devil are better exemple for children than divorced couples.

Incredible Member

Now gather up your legions of imaginary children who are still worried about stories from 2004-2007...

...and explain Sins Past to them.

After you tell them about the scene from The Other where Morlun ate Peter Parker's eyeball.

WHY WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE IMAGINARY/HYPOTHETICAL CHILDREN?!!! WHY????!!!!

Edit: Did you know that mocking the premise of a thread is tantamount to harassing EVERYONE on this thread. No, really. Doing that is wrong. I read about it on Tumblr. Whatever you do, don't EVER mock the premise of a thread. It would make you evil.
    Last edited by Dan Slott; 09-12-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Now gather up your legions of imaginary children who are still worried about stories from 2004-2007...

...and explain Sins Past to them.

After you tell them about the scene from The Other where Morlun ate Peter Parker's eyeball.

WHY WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE IMAGINARY/HYPOTHETICAL CHILDREN?!!! WHY????!!!!
    Kids love gross stuff like eating eyeballs!

Lightbulb

If you face an unsolvable personal dilemma turn to a powerful evil entity, hey it worked for 616 Peter Parker. Stop looking at me like that!
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    FFS. Really? It was close to 10 years ago.
    There is no realistic world where a kid is going to ask their parent about that divisive comic book from 2007.

"Mom?"
    "Yes, dear."
    "Can you explain to me the season ender of NBC's failed Bionic Woman reboot?"
    "What? Why?"
    "How about the plot to the movie Norbit?"
    "Kid? What the heck is wrong with you? You weren't even born yet?"
    "I have to know, Mom! I have to KNOW! Also... Is it okay if I go online and start up 10 threads about the MC2 universe on CBR's Spider-Man Message Board?"
    "Sure, kid. Knock yourself out."
    Norbit pass always on Fox, and with a reboot of something, it's obvious somebody, not everyone, but somebody will want to know all about the original. How do I know this? Because I, as nerd, do that ALL THE TIME!!!!... and I already lost the account of how many times I had to explain to a more inesperient nerd about One More Day... this month I had to explain Days of Future and Past! Dan Slott, trust me, people want to understand this stuff.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Mr Slott may have a brutal point there, amounting to "Why are you taking a fictional story in a superhero comic book too seriously?!"

Guess if nobody cares then it's back to waiting for the next anime to catch my interest. G-Tekketsu / Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans is shaping up nicely. But when is Jojo Part 4?
    Last edited by Londo Bellian; 09-06-2015 at 06:39 PM.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Saga View Post
    Norbit pass always on Fox, and with a reboot of something, it's obvious somebody, not everyone, but somebody will want to know all about the original. How do I know this? Because I, as nerd, do that ALL THE TIME!!!!... and I already lost the account of how many times I had to explain to a more inesperient nerd about One More Day... this month I had to explain Days of Future and Past! Dan Slott, trust me, people want to understand this stuff.
    Gemini Saga, you're someone who's operating in very "rarefied air". You're a message board poster who is clearly very passionate about comics, clocking in with 120+ posts (mainly) about Spider-Man in under a month. And with a knowledge/concern about MC2 Spider-Girl...

No matter how nerd-y someone is, I think we're pretty safely out of the close-to-10-year zone where a child who's into Spider-Man (as the OP was posing) is going to ask about this very specific continuity change.

Most children don't start reading till they're 5 or 6. Even if a 10 or 12 year old got into Spidey, they'd be coming in through a pop-culture route: the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon (which doesn't deal with a married Spider-Man), the Amazing Spider-Man movies (which don't even deal with MJ), or any of the Spidey video games (which-- again-- don't deal with a married Spider-Man).

So the premise of this whole thread is pretty darn silly.
    Reality check: The only way any of this is going to be dealt with-- with kids-- is if a very zealous comic fan (who still has an issue with this) rams this subject down those kids' throats.
    Last edited by Dan Slott; 09-06-2015 at 06:57 PM.