Page 8 of 271 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    Sorry if there was a misunderstanding but that's not what I meant.

There have been quite a few X-Males of color over the years many of whom have died and don't come back. Bishop was a pleasant exception, he had been around for quite some time and was gaining more steam. Unfortunately he was thrown under the bus to prop another character. He suddenly became one of the biggest criminals / villains of the X-Books, which brought us to 0 major X-Males of color.

His action weren't race related, I get that. However making him into what he is now robbed many of someone to identify with, as there aren't that many people like him in the X-Verse and he still hasn't recovered from the treatment he received.
    Your initial post was as clear as this one.

The Bishop character would probably benefit from appearing in stories set in the wider 616 MU as this would give him an opportunity to be developed further as opposed to just having him lumbered with the weight of the proverbial bus he's still under.

Marvel needs to bring back the dudes of color of the X-Books: Bedlam, Kenji, Synch, Skin, Bishop (character assassination), etc...
    I liked them.

Also, I quite like Benjamin Deeds in Uncanny X-Men. More of him please.
    Agree with the bolded 1000%. This is something that really needs to be addresses as well as more females of color.

@BCB -I agree there as well. There's a big story to tell with Adam Brashear and his family.

There have been quite a few X-Males of color over the years many of whom have died and don't come back. Bishop was a pleasant exception, he had been around for quite some time and was gaining more steam. Unfortunately he was thrown under the bus to prop another character. He suddenly became one of the biggest criminals / villains of the X-Books, which brought us to 0 major X-Males of color.

His action weren't race related, I get that. However making him into what he is now robbed many of someone to identify with, as there aren't that many people like him in the X-Verse and he still hasn't recovered from the treatment he received.
    I know exactly what you're saying. There have been many heroes who became villains but the way they did Bishop, his character was almost unredeemable. He was never portrayed as the tragic villain, just some madman with a gun. With the limited number of heroes of color, that's not what he needed done to his character

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    Considering how many straight characters have been retconned into being gay/bi, I don't think that would be a problem. You (and other fans and many creators) have to realize that not everything has to be stated in a comic in order to be considered to be canon. By the same token, not every single thing that appears in a comic has to (or should) be cannon. I said it before and I'll say it again, a characters sexuality,gender,and race (regardless if it is stated in the comics or not) should be determined by said character's creator and should NOT be retconned or decided upon by a latter creator or editor. So if Hickman says that Stonewall is gay, then that's how he should be portrayed and written as by future writers. The same goes for Shatterstar being asexual,Rictor being straight,Psylocke being straight,and Moondragon being straight.
    But is it a retcon when it was never established on-panel? Interviews aren't canon. My concern isn't a writer deciding to ignore Hickman's intentions. My concern is a writer simply not knowing about Hickman's intentions. I read Secret Warriors, and I had no idea that Stonewall was supposed to be gay. I actually thought he and Yoyo were a couple. The name wasn't a tip-off to me (and, as it turns out, it wasn't meant to be a tip-off - according to this article, Hickman's said he wasn't aware of the significance of the name to the gay community, and it just wound up being a coincidence). I don't think it's tough to believe that someone else could wind up having the same reading I did, and so wind up writing the character as straight, simply because they never happened on any of the external articles where it was mentioned.

To give an example: Let's say a writer creates a character, and in the writer's conception, the character is divorced. But that's never stated on-panel anywhere, isn't even particularly hinted at, and the writer only reveals it after the fact in an interview. Another writer comes along, having read the character's appearances but not the writer's interviews, and has the character say they've never been married. It's not the second writer's fault that the first writer never had the previous marriage mentioned in the book. Writers shouldn't have to do extra research beyond reading a character's previous appearances.

As far as writers not making changes to a character's sexuality, I disagree with that, too, at least to an extent. PAD outing Shatterstar as bisexual followed up on developments the character had already been going through. Moondragon being outed was a minor thing, considering how few real relationships she'd had; actually, based on her '70s and '80s appearances, her interest in women actually ended up making sense. Rictor's bisexuality doesn't really seem to have contradicted anything, so it's not a big deal, either. And Psylocke, as far as we know, is still straight, she simply made an exception for a specific woman, something that does happen in the real world.

I agree there are characters where revealing them as gay or bisexual wouldn't end up feeling like an organic development of the character. (Which isn't to say it couldn't be an interesting and compelling development regardless, of course.) But there are plenty of other characters where it's either not a big deal or actually makes sense. Besides which, plenty of people believe themselves to be straight, and then realize later on that they're not.

And if creator's intent really mattered that much, Superman would be beating up the executives at Goldmann-Sachs. Once a creator steps back from a character, they no longer get to say who that character is. Each writer is going to have their own take on who that character is, what makes them tick, all that stuff.

Marvel needs to bring back the dudes of color of the X-Books: Bedlam, Kenji, Synch, Skin, Bishop (character assassination), etc...
    I liked them.

Also, I quite like Benjamin Deeds in Uncanny X-Men. More of him please.
    Yeah, I'll agree with that. Marvel should do a Generation X reunion that starts with Synch being revived.

BANNED

Black Tarantula!

Where are you?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Agree with the bolded 1000%. This is something that really needs to be addresses as well as more females of color.

@BCB -I agree there as well. There's a big story to tell with Adam Brashear and his family.
    So many possibilities with such a storyline.

I liked them.
    I agree. They also need to bring back John Wraith and have him be written as the brave heroic cool bad@$$ character that Larry Hama created and written him to be. They also need to bring back Shane Shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    I agree. They also need to bring back John Wraith and have him be written as the brave heroic cool bad@$$ character that Larry Hama created and written him to be. They also need to bring back Shane Shooter.
    The really screwed John Wraith over in Wolverine: Origins. That was just a bad movie.

BANNED

Also their refusal to go for the easy out was galling. I mean sure mind control is overused but it works for a reason.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post

In fact, a book exploring Adam's current relationship with his kids would be pretty darn cool.
    I have to admit, I'm still not a huge Blue Marvel fan. The original origin story was pretty bad. But I do like how Ewing has embraced the crappy parts of it, sort of acknowledged they were crappy through Luke Cage, but then made that something of a character issue. I don't know if it really would work if he was a solo character, but it does work well within the team structure. I'm still not a fan of the original mini -- and keep in mind, that's a lot because I had bigger hopes for it -- but Ewing has done some interesting things with the character in the short time he's used him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    I have to admit, I'm still not a huge Blue Marvel fan. The original origin story was pretty bad. But I do like how Ewing has embraced the crappy parts of it, sort of acknowledged they were crappy through Luke Cage, but then made that something of a character issue. I don't know if it really would work if he was a solo character, but it does work well within the team structure. I'm still not a fan of the original mini -- and keep in mind, that's a lot because I had bigger hopes for it -- but Ewing has done some interesting things with the character in the short time he's used him.
    That's why I said that a book featuring Adam and Kevin together on missions would be an interesting concept to explore.

Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Is she actually working with any other companies right now?
    Khari Evans as of late been working on Harbinger, Archer & Armstrong, and Carbon Grey.
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwise View Post
    Khari Evans as of late been working on Harbinger, Archer & Armstrong, and Carbon Grey.
    Unless she filled in, Van Lente's on A&A.

BANNED

Well she's pretty obscure, but it's sort of implied that Rococo could swing that way. Dunno if that counts or not.

Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D. Strong View Post
    Well she's pretty obscure, but it's sort of implied that Rococo could swing that way. Dunno if that counts or not.
    There's a pun about that and her using a FAMAS rifle (albeit very weirdly drawn), but I won't do it.
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.