Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default "Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu" and "Deadly Hands of Kung Fu" reprinted 2016-2017

Hey everyone - didn't already see a thread for this, so wanted to start one. This news is about a month old now:

As a kid in the '70's & early '80's, one of my favorite comic series was Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu. The series was pseudo-combination of James Bond-like espionage/action, Kung Fu fighting, and eastern mysticism. It featured fantastic artwork by artists like Mike Zeck, Paul Gulacy, and the late Gene Day. I don't have any of my individual floppies anymore, so had been wanting the comic to be reprinted. However, we haven't seen reprints of this due to copyright/licensing issues (primarily involving the Fu Manchu character) - until now.

Here's info. confirming that the series will be reprinted by Marvel in Omnibus form, starting Summer 2016 - as you can see from the below link, they're planning on four volumes here:

https://twitter.com/Comixace/status/647190823403155456
    Last edited by ROM Spaceknight; 11-28-2016 at 06:31 PM.

Great news!
    I really hope to see a brand new series as well.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by ROM Spaceknight View Post
    Hey everyone - didn't already see a thread for this, so wanted to start one. This news is about a month old now:

As a kid in the '70's & early '80's, one of my favorite comic series was Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu. The series was pseudo-combination of James Bond-like espionage/action, Kung Fu fighting, and eastern mysticism. It featured fantastic artwork by artists like Mike Zeck, Paul Gulacy, and the late Gene Day. I don't have any of my individual floppies anymore, so had been wanting the comic to be reprinted. However, we haven't seen reprints of this due to copyright/licensing issues (primarily involving the Fu Manchu character) - until now.

Here's info. confirming that the series will be reprinted by Marvel in Omnibus form, starting Summer 2016 - as you can see from the below link, they're planning on four volumes here:

https://twitter.com/Comixace/status/647190823403155456
    Fantastic news! I still have the original series, but I love to collect the Omnibus editions.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Massively excited for this. I have scattered issues of the series, mostly from the Gulacy years, but I've never invested in completing a set. The Moench/Gulacy era is an important stage in the evolution of comics, and it's one of those books that should always be in print now that licensing issues have been settled.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Massively excited for this. I have scattered issues of the series, mostly from the Gulacy years, but I've never invested in completing a set. The Moench/Gulacy era is an important stage in the evolution of comics, and it's one of those books that should always be in print now that licensing issues have been settled.
    Agreed 100%.

Invincible Member

Hmm...very interesting!

I have a pretty good run on MoKF. It would really be nice to have this and get a complete collection. This is one of my favorite series of all time. I'll definitely be picking this up when it comes out.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I thought the issue was mainly that they couldn't use the name Fu Manchu anymore?

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

And now they can?

hopefully there will be ongoing printings of the back issues/TPBs. Also this will hopefully clear the way for the character to be introduced to the Netflix Marvel series.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    And now they can?
    My understanding was that they can't so now they've re-named Shang-Chi's father.

Invincible Member

A comic I want to get is that Savage Fists of Kung Fu Treasury they did in the 70's. I see it a lot, but it's usually going for more money than I'm willing to spend.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    My understanding was that they can't so now they've re-named Shang-Chi's father.
    It's not the Yellow Claw or the Golden Claw as they have now renamed him, is it?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    It's not the Yellow Claw or the Golden Claw as they have now renamed him, is it?
    No. I don't have it handy but they renamed him during the original run of Secret Avengers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    A comic I want to get is that Savage Fists of Kung Fu Treasury they did in the 70's. I see it a lot, but it's usually going for more money than I'm willing to spend.
    I've actually got that book somewher in storage.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 11-01-2015 at 01:28 PM.