Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    The Green Scar isn't really the world breaking type, despite his nick name. It's not like the Illuminati need the fire power though. Between Sol's Hammer, the Phantom Planet, Doctor Strange, the Builder Weapon, and their Anti-Matter bombs, the Illuminati aren't lacking in ways to destroy a planet.
    It does, however, put the blame/guilt on someone elses hands. Depending on the circumstances, I think only Strange and Banner currently have the ability to destroy a whole planet at will. He has destroyed a planet before during the the Heart of the Monster arc if I am not mistaken.

My choice from left field for the Ivory King is none other than Isaac Newton from Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D. Isaac Newton is perhaps the most famous scientific loner of all time, an extremely difficult man to deal with, explaining the use of the singular. Newton especially having stolen the Deviants knowledge combines science and magic, and he may also have access to the power of the Star Child, the Star Child a child of a Celestrial.

"King" may be a reference to Newton's having studied at The King's School grammar school. And in Newton's day ivory sculpture was one way to immortalize the subject, such as this famous one:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore...ac_newton.aspx

StarChild is actually an educational site:

http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/...l2/newton.html

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    I make of it that the reason he does or doesn't interfere in a specific event has little to do with whether he cares to, since he evidently does care about some relatively minor things, and quite possibly more to do with whether he knows/can see that other competent parties are already resolving things, and/or that his own intervention wouldn't accomplish anything.

But the guy having a kid on the way, I doubt most of all that he doesn't care if his entire universe, race, and family get wiped out.
    You can argue Uatu at this point doesn't need to interfere even if he wanted to. For the time being at least, the Illuminati are handling things. They're not necessarily solving the problem but they're at least stabilizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    How long has his wife and kid been around? I don't think his wife and kid are just showed up yesterday in Marvel time. If they've been for some time, then he still didn't act when the universe was threatened before so why now?
    He just got married, and the kid is still on the way. Anyway, you said he has an affinity for certain people, and if he doesn't have an affinity for his new wife, then who would he have an affinity for?

In the last issue of S.H.I.E.L.D. I interpret Isaac Newton as having discovered the existence of the Multiverse. He might be the character who has the biggest reason to seek to destroy the Multiverse or at least Earth's place in it. It is part of Newton's core belief that the use of extraterrestrial or other advanced knowledge will inevitably destroy humanity. Newton's ground belief is determinism. The Multiverse might represent to Newton the ultimate abomination.

I don't read S.H.I.E.L.D. but why would the existence of the multiverse be antithetical to the existence of physical determinism?

I didn't even KNOW there was a new issue of Hickman' S.H.I.E.L.D. out !
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by ShaokhaN View Post
    I don't read S.H.I.E.L.D. but why would the existence of the multiverse be antithetical to the existence of physical determinism?
    From a pop science perspective, the Multiverse is one possible ground under quantum mechanics, one half of the physics revolution of the 1900s that upended what had thought to have been the final form of physics that had grown out of Newton's theories.

The reason the Multiverse would be horrifying to Newton is that he believes in one set future given current initial conditions (basically a many-dimensional ordinary differential equation), whereas the Multiverse is a huge number of possible outcomes any of which could happen. The intellectual strait-jacket that Newton wishes to impose on everyone, his core belief, becomes nonsense in such a pluralistic universe.

Newton has this core belief so tied to what he is willing to accept in the same way some, perhaps depressingly many, are willing to kill if their particular beliefs in a higher deity are threatened.
    Last edited by jphamlore; 05-05-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    From a pop science perspective, the Multiverse is one possible ground under quantum mechanics, one half of the physics revolution of the 1900s that upended what had thought to have been the final form of physics that had grown out of Newton's theories.

The reason the Multiverse would be horrifying to Newton is that he believes in one set future given current initial conditions (basically a many-dimensional ordinary differential equation), whereas the Multiverse is a huge number of possible outcomes any of which could happen. The intellectual strait-jacket that Newton wishes to impose on everyone, his core belief, becomes nonsense in such a pluralistic universe.

Newton has this core belief so tied to what he is willing to accept in the same way some, perhaps depressingly many, are willing to kill if their particular beliefs in a higher deity are threatened.
    The multiverse having been observed, only a crap scientist would deny its possibility. And Newton was far from crap.

Besides it's not like all the universes are divergent futures; the vast majority diverged from 'ours' ages ago, if they even had a past in common.

Yes, but none of this is specific to the existence of a multiverse. Quantum uncertainty poses problems to physical determinism regardless of whether there is only one universe or many.
    Last edited by ShaokhaN; 05-05-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    He just got married, and the kid is still on the way. Anyway, you said he has an affinity for certain people, and if he doesn't have an affinity for his new wife, then who would he have an affinity for?
    He may not be affectionate that way.

In the last issue of S.H.I.E.L.D. I interpret Isaac Newton as having discovered the existence of the Multiverse. He might be the character who has the biggest reason to seek to destroy the Multiverse or at least Earth's place in it. It is part of Newton's core belief that the use of extraterrestrial or other advanced knowledge will inevitably destroy humanity. Newton's ground belief is determinism. The Multiverse might represent to Newton the ultimate abomination.
    Ok I just read S.H.I.E.L.D. volumes 1 & 2, are you referring to a newer issue or to the fourth issue of the second volume (2012)?

edit 1: Ok, apparently issues 5 & 6 aren't out yet, so I don't think the Great Destroyer would be a character whose fate first needs to be told in two issues of a separate series over which there has been so much uncertainty.

edit 2: btw, I like Hickman, but this was kind of a mess, and the idea of Galactus having already attacked the Earth in 1582 (with another herald) and been repelled by Galileo is pure blasphemy (!), so I hope it's not supposed to be the 616-universe (I suppose it's not) ,-)
    Last edited by ShaokhaN; 05-05-2014 at 05:36 PM.

BANNED

edit 2: btw, I like Hickman, but this was kind of a mess, and the idea of Galactus having already attacked the Earth in 1582 (with another herald) and been repelled by Galileo is pure blasphemy (!), so I hope it's not supposed to be the 616-universe (I suppose it's not) ,-)
    It's in 616 continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    It's in 616 continuity.
    Seriously? So now Galactus had already tried once to consume the Earth prior to his attack in FF #48, and he had another herald prior to the Silver Surfer that wasn't the Fallen One?! And we're supposed to believe that Galileo managed to repel him without any outside help when Reed Richards failed to do so? Utterly ridiculous, tbh.
    Last edited by ShaokhaN; 05-09-2014 at 11:41 AM.

BANNED

Seriously? So now Galactus had already tried once to consume the Earth prior to his attack in FF #48, and he had another herald prior to the Silver Surfer that wasn't the Fallen One?! And we're supposed to believe that Galileo managed to repel him without any outside help when Reed Richards failed to do so? Utterly ridiculous, tbh.
    Maybe Galileo was smarter than Reed