Page 149 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 2482
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Louise Simonson revealed something about Jubilee's origin that I wasnt aware of on the XPlain podcast. Apparently Claremont wanted to use Boom Boom over in Uncanny X-men, but Simonson had her on X-Factor and refused to give her up. She told him "why dont you make your own character" and he did. That explains the early comparison from personality and powerset. In an alternative world Tabitha almost became Wolverine's sidekick instead
    Interesting. It makes sense, though. I've also thought that she might have been meant as a replacement for the younger version of Storm (I believe they called her Li'l Ro) that he only got to use in X-Men Forever. I mean, Ro was a ragamuffin orphan kid. Jubilee was a ragamuffin orphan kid. Maybe a little of that at least.

Interesting bit of trivia, especially considering I was never a fan of Boom Boom. I don't hate her, but Jubilee by contrast ended up as my favorite female Marvel mutant. But then, a large part of the reason I love Jubes so much is because of her father/daughter relationship with Wolverine. It's been great watching Jubilee grow up over the years, was not a fan of the vampire thing, but I do like her as a mom to Shogo.

Jubilee is far too underutilized for my liking.

Are there any Chinese speakers in this forum? Im interested in the accurate pronunciation of “Huānténg”.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Are there any Chinese speakers in this forum? Im interested in the accurate pronunciation of “Huānténg”.
    Is that Cantonese or Mandarin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Is that Cantonese or Mandarin?
    I believe it's Mandarin, and I believe it's pronounced: When-Tung
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    I believe it's Mandarin, and I believe it's pronounced: When-Tung
    I checked and it means "jubilation".

So in Mandarin her name would be Li Huānténg?

Thank you!

It's only one Chinese transliteration of "jubilation" I was able to find. If there are other, please let me know!

Exactly!

My friends and I are volleying an MCU X-Men movie plot with Jubilee and Storm as the central protagonists. Positioning "Jubilation Lee" as a central point of view character requires a bit more humanizing and consideration. Points of interest: Her parents are still alive, she's discovered living in an abandoned mall, and she blows up a house!
    Last edited by CRaymond; 06-06-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Thank you!

It's only one Chinese transliteration of "jubilation" I was able to find. If there are other, please let me know!
    I think (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that in Cantonese it's Xi Qing.

I think (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that in Cantonese it's Xi Qing.
    And that's pronounced "She King"? "She Ching"!

And what's the difference between the Cantonese and Mandarin dialect/languages? Nevermind, I googled a bit.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 06-06-2018 at 08:09 AM.

I checked and it means "jubilation".

From my understanding, it's likely her 'Mandarin name' would be made of characters based on the sound of her English name, not based on the meaning of Jubilation.

So whatever mandarin words or characters that sound like 'ju/joo/jew' and 'bee'. This is my very very very rudimentary understanding.

However if you were looking to go off a direct translation based on the meaning of her name Jubilation - joy, then yes.

---
    I didn't see you went and googled it, woopsie.

As far as differences in Cantonese vs Mandarin. Which language is spoken is broken up by region. (I tried teaching myself Cantonese in middle school). From what I remember Cantonese is generally spoken in the Southern parts of China. Mandarin is more widely used, and generally easier to learn as it doesn't have as many 'tones'. Many Asian languages are 'sing-song-y' and dependent on tone.

If Jubilee's parents are from Hong-Kong or surrounding areas they probably spoke Cantonese. Possibly even both Mandarin and Cantonese.
    Last edited by PsionicHero; 06-06-2018 at 08:18 AM.
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

In the Jubilee vol. 1, Jubilee's aunt just says she was in China. When talking with the gangsters their conversations are translated, but they never say what language they are translating. But Jubilee doesn't know but Wolverine does, so since Jubilee knows a bit of Mandarin, Cantonese is the nexrt most likely? Could be any number of other Chinese dialects tho.

I actually think this is more deep than most writers even think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I actually think this is more deep than most writers even think about.
    I'll take that as a compliment.

The goal is to give Jube a backstory of an only child born to middle-aged Chinese immigrants. They'd tried for years for a child only when she was finally born, they named her the Chinese word for celebration for how happy they were at her arrival. She's young and childish, so she kinda hates her name and goes by an Anglicized nickname instead. It's not until she embraces her found family of freaks that she also embraces her birth name, and chooses its translation for her Mutant Name.

Why are you asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Lammasu View Post
    Why are you asking?
    See below.

My friends and I are volleying an MCU X-Men movie plot with Jubilee and Storm as the central protagonists. Positioning "Jubilation Lee" as a central point of view character requires a bit more humanizing and consideration. Points of interest: Her parents are still alive, she's discovered living in an abandoned mall, and she blows up a house!

The goal is to give Jube a backstory of an only child born to middle-aged Chinese immigrants. They'd tried for years for a child... only when she was finally born, they named her the Chinese word for celebration for how happy they were at her arrival. She's young and childish, so she kinda hates her name and goes by an Anglicized nickname instead. It's not until she embraces her found family of freaks that she also embraces her birth name, and chooses its translation for her Mutant Name.