Page 150 of 166 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160 ... LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 2482

Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    From my understanding, it's likely her 'Mandarin name' would be made of characters based on the sound of her English name, not based on the meaning of Jubilation.

So whatever mandarin words or characters that sound like 'ju/joo/jew' and 'bee'. This is my very very very rudimentary understanding.

However if you were looking to go off a direct translation based on the meaning of her name Jubilation - joy, then yes.
    Since her canon backstory is that her Chinese parents chose her name to express their joy at her birth then they would almost certainly have gone for the direct translation of the meaning of “jubilation” IF they were giving her a Chinese name. But they had adopted a new country and a new culture, so the name they gave her was in English.

However... IF they had given her a Chinese name with the same meaning then it could have been Li Huānténg (in Mandarin) or Li Xi Qing (in Cantonese...I think). The closest I’ve found in Chinese script is this:

But again, I’m not an expert. It’s possible that all of the above is wrong. If it is, I’m sure someone will point it out. My thanks to them in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I actually think this is more deep than most writers even think about.
    A sad but true statement. Although if a writer truly cared for the characters that s/he was writing I’d like to think they’d give it this much thought.
    Last edited by Dementia5; 06-07-2018 at 09:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Jubilee needs to be in a Christopher Priest book, he'd do the work.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Larry Hama!!!

Wolverine #69 May 1993
    Part 1 of 3 - "Induction to the Savage Land!" Guest-starring Jubilee and Rogue.
    Wolverine Jubilee and Rogue head to the Savage Land in search of Magneto.

Instead they cross paths with the reptilian terror Sauron and the Mutates.

Written by Larry Hama http://www.comicsreporter.com/index....ay_larry_hama/. Art by Dwayne Turner and Chris Ivy.

Reading the first two trades of Larry Hama run on Wolverine, i had to say, that i enjoy her interactions with Logan, specially on issue 41.
    Last edited by TheCape; 06-07-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Since her canon backstory is that her Chinese parents chose her name to express their joy at her birth then they would almost certainly have gone for the direct translation of the meaning of “jubilation” IF they were giving her a Chinese name.
    That's kind of funny, because Kamala Khan got her name (which supposedly means Perfection) for the same reason.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That's kind of funny, because Kamala Khan got her name (which supposedly means Perfection) for the same reason.
    That's some fun serendipity! I dont read Ms. Marvel, I just wanted to build a situation where her parents are disenfranchised immigrants who are forced to leave their daughter with the X-Men and return to China when 1. their home burns down, 2. they're targeted by mutant hate groups, and 3. they sell everything to give her the cash. I'm imagining it like the parents in Gifted, but with incredible financial burdens. Loving parents with a hunted daughter are going to make tough choices for her security.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Since her canon backstory is that her Chinese parents chose her name to express their joy at her birth then they would almost certainly have gone for the direct translation of the meaning of “jubilation” IF they were giving her a Chinese name. But they had adopted a new country and a new culture, so the name they gave her was in English.

However... IF they had given her a Chinese name with the same meaning then it could have been Li Huānténg (in Mandarin) or Li Xi Qing (in Cantonese...I think). The closest I’ve found in Chinese script is this:

But again, I’m not an expert. It’s possible that all of the above is wrong. If it is, I’m sure someone will point it out. My thanks to them in advance.

A sad but true statement. Although if a writer truly cared for the characters that s/he was writing I’d like to think they’d give it this much thought.
    I remember I was daydreaming one day about what I'd do with Jubilee if I was writing Jubilee in a solo series (something that would likely never happen, even if I was a professional writer, but I digress) and I was thinking about doing something that ties in with Jubilee's heritage. But what can you do in Marvel Comics regarding Chinese heritage that you can't do anywhere else? You can have them meet the ancient gods of China! So, I roughly came up with an idea about her meeting the Jade Emperor and Quan-yin and of course the whole story being kicked off by Sun Wukong aka the Monkey King. But I kept thinking that if you help a god, you should receive a boon of some kind. And what kind of boon would Sun Wukong, a trickster figure, give someone? So, I decided he'd give her a gift "befitting her big mouth" and give her the ability to speak all the languages of China. That's right, all of them. The hundreds of dialects from eight different linguistic groups. Only she wouldn't have the actual knowledge. She would just find herself suddenly able to speak and understand the language when the need arises. She wouldn't be able to read or write it. If you ask her "Hey, Jubes, how do you say goodbye in Cantonese", she'd be like "I have no idea".

It's not something I'd keep with her long term, but I thought it would be a fun idea for a little while. Just something I thought of when reading these latest posts.

RCO015.jpg

Wolverine #72

Reading this whole series make appreciate their relationship a lot more, i also grew fond of the nickname "Wolvie" .

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    RCO015.jpg

Wolverine #72

Reading this whole series make appreciate their relationship a lot more, i also grew fond of the nickname "Wolvie" .
    I love how they were under Hama in his Wolverine run. I miss it.
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    I love how they were under Hama in his Wolverine run. I miss it.
    It was freaking adorable, his goodbye letter to her in #75 was good too.

Kate Niemczyk’s Jubilee. She does fantastic work. Lots of other X-ladies on her Instagram page as well.

OMG Yaaaaaass Jubilee, been a fan of hers when she debuted in The Uncanny X-Men #244. What a diverse range of powers/incarnations, very happy that her mutant power returned. I hope that whoever is in charge of writing Jubilee in the future, does not regress her character and her mutant power level. I understand she didn't want to hurt anyone with her powers before, but I hope that during her time as a vampire and adopting a baby, that whoever writes her will have her change her views with how she uses her mutant powers.

I hope in the future, that the writer will let Jubilee use her pyrotechnic energy plasmoids in strategic ways than just a blast (incorporate her gymnastic/combat/tactical skills with it), let her continue to be more confident in her powers and show more leadership and strategic skills. I would love to see her have her own team that she leads into battle.

RCO018_1469322023.jpg
    Lol, this made me laught.

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Not sure if anyone saw this... but Jubilee is going to be appearing at the end of Iceman #1 volume 2 in a cameo role... which might indicate her recurring in that new series.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilees_bf View Post
    Not sure if anyone saw this... but Jubilee is going to be appearing at the end of Iceman #1 volume 2 in a cameo role... which might indicate her recurring in that new series.
    Where did you hear this? Fantastic if true.