Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    I guess it's all relative
    <insert inappropriate joke about relatives here>

I’m so very sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Aside from everything I said in my last post, to make it clearer, the argument of "Lorna doesn't get enough use to have other partners" just demonstrates bias against her even more. It means Marvel is so biased against her as a character that they don't give her the same level of use as other characters. Most notably Havok, who Marvel repeatedly forces Lorna into relationships with while trying to convince people that Lorna's not just being used to promote Havok every time they do it.

Lorna is not just a victim of the double standard, she's a prime example. Men are allowed to have multiple partners, ergo they have more stories to tell, ergo they get more use. Women aren't allowed to have multiple partners, ergo they have fewer stories to tell, ergo they get less use. And in Lorna's case, a hell of a lot of it comes down to an idea that Lorna should exist solely for Havok. Which is the root of all attitudes about "men get many, women get one" for partners.
    Popular female characters can get away with having multiple partners. Emma, Jean, Storm, Kitty, Rogue, even Domino have had multiple partners and it works out fine for them. I just don't think Lorna is on very many writers minds so she doesn't get written about much.

Aside from everything I said in my last post, to make it clearer, the argument of "Lorna doesn't get enough use to have other partners" just demonstrates bias against her even more. It means Marvel is so biased against her as a character that they don't give her the same level of use as other characters. Most notably Havok, who Marvel repeatedly forces Lorna into relationships with while trying to convince people that Lorna's not just being used to promote Havok every time they do it.

Lorna is not just a victim of the double standard, she's a prime example. Men are allowed to have multiple partners, ergo they have more stories to tell, ergo they get more use. Women aren't allowed to have multiple partners, ergo they have fewer stories to tell, ergo they get less use. And in Lorna's case, a hell of a lot of it comes down to an idea that Lorna should exist solely for Havok. Which is the root of all attitudes about "men get many, women get one" for partners.
    This all just sounds so dramatic, and inaccurate considering we've listed several A-List X-Women who've been allowed to have multiple romantic/sexual partners and more stories to tell. Lorna just isn't a fav of editorial, it seems, but I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with her being a woman. We can point to a ton of male X-characters who are similarly underused.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Popular female characters can get away with having multiple partners. Emma, Jean, Storm, Kitty, Rogue, even Domino have had multiple partners and it works out fine for them. I just don't think Lorna is on very many writers minds so she doesn't get written about much.
    Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    This all just sounds so dramatic, and inaccurate considering we've listed several A-List X-Women who've been allowed to have multiple romantic/sexual partners and more stories to tell. Lorna just isn't a fav of editorial, it seems, but I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with her being a woman. We can point to a ton of male X-characters who are similarly underused.
    This just gets back to what I said before: Marvel isn't as progressive and forward-thinking behind the scenes as they want people to think they are.

They know they can't get away with treating female characters this way if they're "A-listers" like Jean, Storm, Shadowcat, and in their eyes right now Domino. They'd get called out for it. They think they can get away with it for characters like Polaris though, because they think she's "under the radar" and "unimportant" enough that they can keep doing it to her.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

This just gets back to what I said before: Marvel isn't as progressive and forward-thinking behind the scenes as they want people to think they are.

They know they can't get away with treating female characters this way if they're "A-listers" like Jean, Storm, Shadowcat, and in their eyes right now Domino. They'd get called out for it. They think they can get away with it for characters like Polaris though, because they think she's "under the radar" and "unimportant" enough that they can keep doing it to her.
    Tigra has had multiple sexual partners and no one gives a **** about her.

BANNED

Polaris not being a fap pet to writers should be a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    <insert inappropriate joke about relatives here>

I’m so very sorry.
    Well considering the X-men sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Jean only had 1 partner.
    I think that writers only remember Lorna to get her together with havok or create tension with Magneto

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Jean only had 1 partner.
    I think that writers only remember Lorna to get her together with havok or create tension with Magneto
    In x men grand design she slept around before being with Scott so yeah she has had multiple partners

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bell View Post
    In x men grand design she slept around before being with Scott so yeah she has had multiple partners
    But is grand design in continuity? There are several things about it that don't follow what happened. I thought it was a unofficial mini recap of stories.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Grand Design is the author's interpretation of the publication history.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    But is grand design in continuity? There are several things about it that don't follow what happened. I thought it was a unofficial mini recap of stories.
    But she did date that guy before Scott in main timeline, so she has slept with 2 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Huh? There is no bias towards Lorna other than the bias that you can assume exists if a character isn't regularly used. How is she meant to have multiple romantic or sexual connections when she barely shows up for more than 5 issues at a time? Domino, M, Emma, and Mystique have all been allowed to sleep with whoever they want, on-panel. I do agree that there's a general double-standard with men + women about "promiscuity" but that doesn't have anything to do with Lorna.
    Well, Emma may have 5 partners total (plus whatever you count HFC paid games as), but it hasn't stopped Kitty, Jeen, and Hope for calling her a slut on panel. Hell, Emma punched Hope over it.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Chamber and Jubilee to each other's as well.
    And Deadpool and Rogue.
    Not to be that person, but the furthest Rogue and Deadpool went was that one kiss, considering how they never actually really dated. It was over before it even started.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Well, Emma may have 5 partners total (plus whatever you count HFC paid games as), but it hasn't stopped Kitty, Jeen, and Hope for calling her a slut on panel. Hell, Emma punched Hope over it.
    Kitty is just mad because she is in the closet and writers will not let her explorer like they do with Emma.
    Though i dont remember Jeen calling Emma that. Hope got it coming lol