Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Believe me, I do get the point, but if it was stated to be a more private gathering, then it should have included other heroes that knew Rhodes the best. I mean outside Carol and Tony who are more public face in this.
    Its a private gathering of black heroes at an AME church to honor a fallen black hero. What the hell does Tony Stark or Carol Danvers have to say specifically to that point from their years of experience being in that specific category.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

They've ALL known each other for ages though. Its just that they've only held panel time in small doses. People can't see past the LACK of white person here, and its really rather silly.

Storm has interacted with Misty and Luke way back when she was still sporting that ringed-bathing suit of hers.
    Misty and Luke have been friends since forever.
    Storm has been on the Avengers and married TO an Avenger.
    Black Panther is an Avenger and has actively served alongside both Sam and Rhodey.

Here. Check out the pretty pictures.

Spectacular Member

I can see what they're trying to do here but it doesn't feel authentic because this is War Machine. If this were Black Panther it'd make more sense. Aside from the Crew and several other stories, War Machine isn't characterized by his ethnicity in the way Black Panther and even Storm have been at certain points. War Machine is the black guy with the white friends. Please don't take that as racist and get up in arms people. We all know that person. There's nothing wrong with it. You are around who you identify with. But to say the African American characters are "his family" like is printed in this book is far fetched. They surely weren't family when he was alive. Yeah many of them have teamed up over the years and might've hung out a few times outside of team ups but acting like they're that close to each is something yet to be published. The main interactions I recall with War Machine and Storm are them being on opposite sides and even fighting (Civil War and a former volume of X-Men where the battle). I could be wrong because I haven't read everything but Luke Cage and Misty, and probably Luke and Black Panther, are the only ones in this group who are actual friends and not just friendly acquaintances who teamed up before as far as what actually published comics have shown.

Yet they could have had more heroes involved in this and those that knew War Machine best in this PRIVATE GATHERING.
    Except that this is clearly a private gathering specifically related to them being the most prominent black heroes in the Marvel Universe.

It's no different from how fraternities hold separate memorials that only fraternity members can attened.

Like i said in my previous post we saw the exact same thing during the Fallen Son series. After Cap's funeral there was a memorial held in the arctic, the only people invited were the ones involved with Cap being found in modern times (Tony, Janet, Hank, and Namor). Falcon, Wolverine, and Rick Jones weren't invited despite them all being very close to Steve.

Spectacular Member

Well yeah, they've known each other for years. They know who each other are. And for the most part get along (excluding BP and Storm at this point, such a shame).

For me it's more that they're referred to as family. Most of these relationships are more like coworkers. They're friendly, they know who you are, might occasionally even go out for a drink after the job, but they ain't close as family.

Misty probably does have a bit of deeper history with the X-Men from when Colleen briefly dated Cyclops.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    They've ALL known each other for ages though. Its just that they've only held panel time in small doses. People can't see past the LACK of white person here, and its really rather silly.

Storm has interacted with Misty and Luke way back when she was still sporting that ringed-bathing suit of hers.
    Misty and Luke have been friends since forever.
    Storm has been on the Avengers and married TO an Avenger.
    Black Panther is an Avenger and has actively served alongside both Sam and Rhodey.

Here. Check out the pretty pictures.

Ha ha ha.

Incredible Member Chimeratengun's Avatar

Glad they gave a little nod to Blades "predicament" with his soon(or maybe not) to be daughter Fallon Grey .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Its a private gathering of black heroes at an AME church to honor a fallen black hero. What the hell does Tony Stark or Carol Danvers have to say specifically to that point from their years of experience being in that specific category.
    What I meant was that SOME OTHER HEROES that were friends/allies with War Machine could appear in the private gathering. I mean if it was shoe horned in that these people met, outside of their cannon meetings in the past, frequent times before, then I would be a bit upset of how force it was.

I mentioned Stark and Danvers couldn't do it because of the public demanding for them to make some appearance during the PUBLIC funeral.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    Except that this is clearly a private gathering specifically related to them being the most prominent black heroes in the Marvel Universe.

It's no different from how fraternities hold separate memorials that only fraternity members can attened.

Like i said in my previous post we saw the exact same thing during the Fallen Son series. After Cap's funeral there was a memorial held in the arctic, the only people invited were the ones involved with Cap being found in modern times (Tony, Janet, Hank, and Namor). Falcon, Wolverine, and Rick Jones weren't invited despite them all being very close to Steve.
    Plus the fact that Falcon, while signed up, hang with the New Avengers, who were outlaws at the time.

I mean the idea of it is there, but it just feels slightly force in my opinion, despite it's previous history.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
    I can see what they're trying to do here but it doesn't feel authentic because this is War Machine. If this were Black Panther it'd make more sense. Aside from the Crew and several other stories, War Machine isn't characterized by his ethnicity in the way Black Panther and even Storm have been at certain points. War Machine is the black guy with the white friends. Please don't take that as racist and get up in arms people. We all know that person. There's nothing wrong with it. You are around who you identify with. But to say the African American characters are "his family" like is printed in this book is far fetched. They surely weren't family when he was alive. Yeah many of them have teamed up over the years and might've hung out a few times outside of team ups but acting like they're that close to each is something yet to be published. The main interactions I recall with War Machine and Storm are them being on opposite sides and even fighting (Civil War and a former volume of X-Men where the battle). I could be wrong because I haven't read everything but Luke Cage and Misty, and probably Luke and Black Panther, are the only ones in this group who are actual friends and not just friendly acquaintances who teamed up before as far as what actually published comics have shown.
    That's what I'm trying to say. I mean if Hawkeye was there or Mockingbird, since they knew Jim from the West Coast Avengers days and don't want to be in a public sighting, then yeah, I can believe in this gathering.

Here it just feels a bit force despite past viewings of these heroes teaming up.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Proto View Post
    This is probably one of the better times to do so in the context of our current day issues. Black people have been coming together to mourn traumatic deaths like Rhodey more and more lately with how the internet connects us. This might not be the great team up we'd rather have but it is an important moment.
    I'd say important to have scenes like this precisely so that when groups of same minorities show together in superhero comics, folks won't think it looks weird.

Invincible Member

Just for the sake of argument let's say that this scene is "forced" or "contrived"...why is that so bad? Marvel publishes multiple titles every month were the team line up or cast is just as contrived or unlikely. Why is this one any worse?

BANNED

That's what I'm trying to say. I mean if Hawkeye was there or Mockingbird, since they knew Jim from the West Coast Avengers days and don't want to be in a public sighting, then yeah, I can believe in this gathering.

Here it just feels a bit force despite past viewings of these heroes teaming up.
    It's funny how the term "forced" only ever gets used when more than one black character appears in a book regardless of past interactions. :smh:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I imagine the significance behind these specific characters meeting, exclusively, will be explained and explored further in the issue. I can't imagine that heroes who don't share their cultural connection won't be among the funeral's attendants.

Though, to the best of my knowledge, the sense of community conveyed in these few pages hasn't been actively explored previously -- I will say that I find it refreshing to acknowledge it. I've always head-cannoned in my mind that members of minority communities matriculate from time to time in more casual capacity outside of their hero-ing -- be they mutants, inhumans, the youths from all across the Marvel Universe, the LGBT heroes and the black community because my experiences have informed me that such would certainly take place in life.
    We are, as human beings, prone to gravitating toward people with whom we share common attributes -- which can commonly be misinterpreted as divisive or exclusive -- and understandably this behavior is only just now being addressed with the expansion of exposure to these communities as well as the increase in prominence among teams (its wonderful to see whole teams of multiracial heroes, rather than a singular minority member these days).

With respect, I fully understand that with the loss of James (RIP, and here's to a speedy resurrection) there is also an understandable hesitation to fully support and/or accept this particular focus in Sam's book we're previewing, and to not assign a label to this (pandering? appealing? desperate attempt at an apology? etc) but I remain hopeful that despite the unfortunate circumstances that may have necessitated this turn of events, this is yet another stepping stone toward progress both within the stories and externally in the Marvel offices.

EDIT: I'd also like to applaud Spencer's aforementioned "BALLS" -- be they ever so wrinkly.
    Agreed 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    It's funny how the term "forced" only ever gets used when more than one black character appears in a book regardless of past interactions. :smh:
    Yeah, it's just plain illogical for Black heroes to ever hang out.