Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Nighthawk: The Most Interesting Character In Marvel

There has been a lot of talk about Nighthawk and what makes him tick. He's the most interesting character Marvel has had in some time. He's been described as a psychotic racist by some and a vigilant who brings some much needed justice by others. What is it about him that have so people buzzing? Keep the discussion civil.

And yet people want to get rid of the thing or "hesitate" of the thing that makes him interesting.

Invincible Member

He's a Batman archetype but he can be used for stories that you simply can't tell with mainstream Batman. The racial bias aspect gives him a distinction that 616 Nighthawk doesn't have and can be used for hard hitting social commentary.

However, part of me thinks Marvel's not going to push things too far politically. And they're not going do too much that deconstructs the superhero genre when it's set in the main MU. I get the feeling that when it's said and done, we're going to end up with black Punisher and I guess I'm fine with that as long as the stories and art are good.

I've always dug the character. I am beyond hyped to see more of him. I think people are sleeping on him and his abilities. Him and the SS are going to cause some serious shit in the MU. I get SS and I will get his ongoing as he's my favorite member the team.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Oh, this is the JMS revision Nighthawk?

I rolled my eyes too hard, too many times, when that first started to take off, with its edgy naked warriors and black guy who'll cover up all the time so we can't tell, etc etc. I couldn't be bothered to really keep up with any of them.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member

LMFAO at this title

To this day I think Daniel Way's Nighthawk mini is the best thing he's ever written.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    And yet people want to get rid of the thing or "hesitate" of the thing that makes him interesting.
    Yeah, without that we would be having this discussion. But some characters get a free pass for similar actions against criminals and villains. I really hope he gets a MAX series so that we can explore some contemporary topics.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yeah, without that we would be having this discussion. But some characters get a free pass for similar actions against criminals and villains. I really hope he gets a MAX series so that we can explore some contemporary topics.
    is MAX still going on?

on Nighthawk, i have no knowledge of that character to form my own opinion of him yet
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    is MAX still going on?

on Nighthawk, i have no knowledge of that character to form my own opinion of him yet

They still release tiles under the MAX banner, mostly Punisher. He had his own mini as well as appearing in JMS' SS series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    To this day I think Daniel Way's Nighthawk mini is the best thing he's ever written.
    I re-read that Daniel Way Nighthawk six parter, two hours ago and my mind was thoroughly blown away again.

I truly recommend that people read the series for theselves rather than relying on third hand information.

Until the new Black Panther series is released NH and the SS book(and Ultimates) are the only books that interests me in the ANAD Marvel...

Is the new Carnage book good because I was thinking about picking that up.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    He's a Batman archetype but he can be used for stories that you simply can't tell with mainstream Batman. The racial bias aspect gives him a distinction that 616 Nighthawk doesn't have and can be used for hard hitting social commentary.

However, part of me thinks Marvel's not going to push things too far politically. And they're not going do too much that deconstructs the superhero genre when it's set in the main MU. I get the feeling that when it's said and done, we're going to end up with black Punisher and I guess I'm fine with that as long as the stories and art are good.
    Succinct!

Though I think Marvel will push the concept pretty far. For one the SS aren't really Heroes or villains, they're all firmly grey area characters. So Marvel has shown a willingness to let them be heinous.

And Walker has said that his Nighthawk "will make people think the Punisher got worse" and hinted he'll be targeting the people behind the institutions that cause inequality. So he'll be attacking people other capes would overlook, as well as using an insane level of brutality. Whether or not he's still racist, he's going to be controversial.

But most importantly- it's set in Chicago. They can have whatever they want happen there as it isn't really near anyone else in the Marvel U. It's almost a blank slate. And the crime situation there is already brutal, so escalating it with ultraviolence will be messed up anyway. Side note- I would absolutely love to see Captain America come to try and deal with Nighthawk! It would work sooooooomuch well!

So yeah... the only thing I think they may change is the extent of his racism. Which while it would make some sense due to seeing his world die and realizing his view was so narrow he couldn't change much for the better, I hope they don't. He's largely interesting because of his prejudice and it would be a shame to see that watered down.

Either way, i look fporward to his book!

I wonder what his supporting cast will be like. I hope it's not just SS people. I think he should have a personal assistant like Lex Luthor's PA/Bodyguard Mercy.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    Until the new Black Panther series is released NH and the SS book(and Ultimates) are the only books that interests me in the ANAD Marvel...

Is the new Carnage book good because I was thinking about picking that up.
    I've heard it's good, but I'm not reading it.