Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I feel like DC does a great job when it comes to having a diverse universe, often times a better job than their competitor, Marvel. The one thing that irks me though is that they seem to have an unspoken policy where only one character from a specific minority group can be pushed at a time. For example because we have Cyborg that means no John Stewart, Vixen or Black Lightning solo, because we have Kenan Kong that means no Ryan Choi, Katana or Black Bat solo. The exception seems to be Latinos since both Jessica and Jaime have books at the moment. Then again Jessica is a Geoff creation and Vibe, El Diablo and Kyle don't have solo books so maybe it is true.

Still you can't deny that DC atleast puts an honest effort in building a diverse universe! They've pushed Cyborg, Blue Beetle and Katana both outside comics and in them for years now!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    I feel like DC does a great job when it comes to having a diverse universe, often times a better job than their competitor, Marvel. The one thing that irks me though is that they seem to have an unspoken policy where only one character from a specific minority group can be pushed at a time. For example because we have Cyborg that means no John Stewart, Vixen or Black Lightning solo, because we have Kenan Kong that means no Ryan Choi, Katana or Black Bat solo. The exception seems to be Latinos since both Jessica and Jaime have books at the moment. Then again Jessica is a Geoff creation and Vibe, El Diablo and Kyle don't have solo books so maybe it is true.

Still you can't deny that DC atleast puts an honest effort in building a diverse universe! They've pushed Cyborg, Blue Beetle and Katana both outside comics and in them for years now!
    And to do all of that, the only character they had to sideline or kill off was Ted Kord, who's back now. I love DC.

BANNED

Really I would disagree.

Katana and Blue Beetle have been riding the bench in comics for the most part. Blue Beetle after a travesty of a solo series.

As for Cyborg, putting him on the JL is all Geoff did for years. Cyborg didn't have solo, didn't have friends, moped around the tower the whole time, didn't get much character development and didn't do much cool stuff in fights. He finally got a solo after couple years and when it finally got beyond the Cliché Man or Machine. We get Rebirth and right back to that status quo.

But yeah DC does seem to have a rule 1 at a time. 2 Max.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    Really I would disagree.

Katana and Blue Beetle have been riding the bench in comics for the most part. Blue Beetle after a travesty of a solo series.

As for Cyborg, putting him on the JL is all Geoff did for years. Cyborg didn't have solo, didn't have friends, moped around the tower the whole time, didn't get much character development and didn't do much cool stuff in fights. He finally got a solo after couple years and when it finally got beyond the Cliché Man or Machine. We get Rebirth and right back to that status quo.

But yeah DC does seem to have a rule 1 at a time. 2 Max.
    Blue Beetle got his own solo book during the New 52 reboot. Granted it wasn't very good but he still got one and it lasted 17 issues taking him over the 50+ solo issues mark. He now has another book for Rebirth. DC seems to want to push him and their actions show it. All that's missing is becoming a Teen Titan again.

Katana is DC's go to Asian female. She too was given a solo series, a spot on the JLA and later became a Squad member. She's been pushed by DC, she even had a mini series earlier this year and is in the starting lineup for the Suicide Squad. Outside of Waller, she is DC's most used woman of color (only about 15 issues behind Waller).

As for Cyborg. Well I can't argue with you there. He should have gotten a solo series back when the New 52 started. Heck Static and Mr Terrific got solos. Still he has one now, a double shipping one, and is a League member. Not a bad showing for DC's most used minority character.

That last part I agree with. I'm hoping they prove me wrong in wave 2 of Rebirth! Plus their should be another team book because too many minority characters are sitting in limbo because DC wants to stick to a status quo JL (a part from Baz and Cruz).

Unhappy

-My opinion starts "good"... the old fans see his characters like in the past and now they will recover characters that did not appear in N52.... and recover Raven, Nightwing costumes or Terry McGinnys.
    -Knowing the details change my opinion... Worse my Opinion

I have left behind some comics for the strong changes or I am not interested in this comic now for some other reason.... no matter when you want a character, when this character look too different and this changes these changes do not like you.

Simply, I enter the worst years of DC because now everything has changed and I don´t see this positive.. Now, I just only want to see about my favorite characters and some new comics and enough.. I am not interested in rebirth things or manhattan...

CIVIL DEBATE... CIVIL ANSWER.
    Last edited by adrikito; 08-26-2016 at 12:39 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    with the exception of cyborg there is ZERO black men or women headlining a rebirth book. to me, this is unacceptable.

vixen, bronze tiger, batwing, duke, black lightening, black spider, amazing man, steel, doctor mist. these are all valid properties and some of them should have a chance to shine. this is the perfect opportunity to me.
    Black Spider is an obscure D-List villain at best, I really don't see how he is a "valid property".

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Black Spider is an obscure D-List villain at best, I really don't see how he is a "valid property".
    Use in Young Justice and also the Suicide Squad movie for the Arkham Vs. He's shown up in Asb recently.

I would say DC does push the minorities it's just in a different way then say Marvel does. Marvel is very much "You see here! Here we have a teen black Iron man." okay great, is she any good as a character? Where as DC seems to revolve around character first then pushing at times? At least that's what I've seen.

By the way what happened to the one young female hero that they had on the Justice League. She was the one that was supposed to come up against Ms. Marvel? Never mind found her. Equinox.
    Last edited by Darkspellmaster; 08-26-2016 at 02:30 PM.

BANNED

Better than Marvel? Really? The same Marvel that did Ms. Marvel, which tore up the digital charts and Black Panther that tore up every chart? The same Marvel that gets behind their minority characters and gives them full support? The same Marvel that actually has their minority characters doing cool stuff and not just sitting on the bench or being stooges like at DC? The same Marvel that is doing a Black Panther movie and Luke Cage show? The same Marvel that had three Blade movies, a Blade anime, and a Blade live action television show? The same Marvel that's doing a Miles Morales film? I could go on some more, but needless to say, with all due respect, I beg to differ. DC is shite at diversity, and Marvel actually isn't bad at it.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicanor View Post
    Better than Marvel? Really? The same Marvel that did Ms. Marvel, which tore up the digital charts and Black Panther that tore up every chart? The same Marvel that gets behind their minority characters and gives them full support? The same Marvel that actually has their minority characters doing cool stuff and not just sitting on the bench or being stooges like at DC? The same Marvel that is doing a Black Panther movie and Luke Cage show? The same Marvel that had three Blade movies, a Blade anime, and a Blade live action television show? The same Marvel that's doing a Miles Morales film? I could go on some more, but needless to say, with all due respect, I beg to differ. DC is shite at diversity, and Marvel actually isn't bad at it.
    The same marvel that murdered War Machine to give a reason to fight between Carol and Tony. Same one that decided, hey totally okay to kill off or make utterly unusable several minority teen heroes because Hunger games was big. Same marvel that drops the ball when it comes to certain series after a point because of reasons. Marvel doesn't get behind them all the time, where's their love of Shi chang, or even Colleen Wing. Only when Cho went hulk does he get a solo, and let's totally ignore the fact that they've made it so that NO ONE can use Eli Bradley even though he's as strong of a character as Sam is and would have been a great Falcon if they wanted to make it so. Let's also ignore the whole issue of the fact that it's only been in the past 5 to 6 years that Marvel at all has been pushing these characters and prior to that they were all about the Spider man etc. DC does back it's heroes, and the only reason we had the blade movies in the first place was because Fox didn't think that a Superhero movie would fly. Let's not forget that YJ, Teen Titans, JL and several other series have had lead characters of minority as well. Neither is perfect.

Blue Beetle got his own solo book during the New 52 reboot. Granted it wasn't very good but he still got one and it lasted 17 issues taking him over the 50+ solo issues mark. He now has another book for Rebirth. DC seems to want to push him and their actions show it. All that's missing is becoming a Teen Titan again.

Katana is DC's go to Asian female. She too was given a solo series, a spot on the JLA and later became a Squad member. She's been pushed by DC, she even had a mini series earlier this year and is in the starting lineup for the Suicide Squad. Outside of Waller, she is DC's most used woman of color (only about 15 issues behind Waller).

As for Cyborg. Well I can't argue with you there. He should have gotten a solo series back when the New 52 started. Heck Static and Mr Terrific got solos. Still he has one now, a double shipping one, and is a League member. Not a bad showing for DC's most used minority character.

That last part I agree with. I'm hoping they prove me wrong in wave 2 of Rebirth! Plus their should be another team book because too many minority characters are sitting in limbo because DC wants to stick to a status quo JL (a part from Baz and Cruz).
    This I have a problem with. Cyborg seems a bit... forced on the DC universe. He does not have a rich background, like the others leaguers - not even like some of his Titans mates. There's not a clear answer to why one should care for him.
    On the other hand, they don't seem to have faith in Static, a character with his own world, not connected with Batman, Superman, Flash. And, thanks to the cartoon, he has some public recognition. Yes, Cyborg is on a cartoon too, but who he is outside the Titans?
    That's a problem I see with the publisher, from New 52 on: they kill titles too fast, without giving people time to connect with the characters. A pity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicanor View Post
    DC is not "shite" when it comes to diversity. If you want to talk outside media then let's go. DC just released the most diverse comicbook movie to date with Suicide Squad and its tearing up the box office! Now everyone knows who characters like Amanda Waller, El Diablo, Katana and Deadshot are. Vixen has her own animated series and will appear in LoT, a series that has Firestorm and Kendra/Hawkgirl as leads! Martian Manhunter is a main character on Supergirl and he's played by a Black man. Katana and Bumble Bee are main characters on Superhero Girls along with reoccurring characters like Lady Shiva and Kendra/Hawkgirl. Blue Beetle was just featured in Teen Titans vs Justice League along with Cyborg. Speaking of Jaime/Blue Beetle he was just announced for Injustice 2 at comic con. Justice League Action will include Vixen, Mr Terrific, Blue Beetle, Bane and countless other minority characters. John Stewart will be appearing in the upcoming JLD animated movie as well. As for the live action JL, well Cyborg and Aquaman are both played by men of color (Black and Polynesian respectively).

As for the past well Cyborg was a main character in Teen Titans TAS and has appeared in the majority of the JL animated movies. John Stewart was a main character on Justice League TAS, a show which featured the likes of Dr Light, Fire, Vixen, Mr Terrific and Amanda Waller in reoccurring roles just to name a few. Static had his own animated series that featured countless minorities as well. Young Justice featured countless teenage minority superheroes (Aqualad, Artemis and Blue Beetle being the main ones) and was praised for it!!

As for comics. Well Green Lanterns is lead by an Arab and Hispanic, Cyborg is lead by an African American, Blue Beetle is lead by a Hispanic, Dr Fate is lead by an Arab, New Super-Man is lead by an Asian, El Diablo mini is lead by a Hispanic and you have countless team books featuring minorities. El Gato pretty much listed them all for you.

The difference between what I listed and what you listed is that my list features a wide variety of races/ethnicities whereas yours only features Blacks and Kamela Khan. On the bright side at least Marvel finally realized they have some cool Black characters though!
    Last edited by Samm; 08-26-2016 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlictsLantern View Post
    This I have a problem with. Cyborg seems a bit... forced on the DC universe. He does not have a rich background, like the others leaguers - not even like some of his Titans mates. There's not a clear answer to why one should care for him.
    On the other hand, they don't seem to have faith in Static, a character with his own world, not connected with Batman, Superman, Flash. And, thanks to the cartoon, he has some public recognition. Yes, Cyborg is on a cartoon too, but who he is outside the Titans?
    That's a problem I see with the publisher, from New 52 on: they kill titles too fast, without giving people time to connect with the characters. A pity.
    Although I do agree with some of this, but I wouldn't say that DC kills minority titles "too fast", though. When their books reach to cancellation levels, they tend to let the book still run for a long time, before they make a cancellation announcement.

Also, Dan Didio already stated at the start of the New 52, he was expecting some of those books to get cancelled, which is a problem there.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    The same marvel that murdered War Machine to give a reason to fight between Carol and Tony. Same one that decided, hey totally okay to kill off or make utterly unusable several minority teen heroes because Hunger games was big. Same marvel that drops the ball when it comes to certain series after a point because of reasons. Marvel doesn't get behind them all the time, where's their love of Shi chang, or even Colleen Wing. Only when Cho went hulk does he get a solo, and let's totally ignore the fact that they've made it so that NO ONE can use Eli Bradley even though he's as strong of a character as Sam is and would have been a great Falcon if they wanted to make it so. Let's also ignore the whole issue of the fact that it's only been in the past 5 to 6 years that Marvel at all has been pushing these characters and prior to that they were all about the Spider man etc. DC does back it's heroes, and the only reason we had the blade movies in the first place was because Fox didn't think that a Superhero movie would fly. Let's not forget that YJ, Teen Titans, JL and several other series have had lead characters of minority as well. Neither is perfect.
    I think the reason why they don't get behind their Asian and even Latino population is because they are not the lightning rod that blacks tend to be.

Look at every single complaint thread, death threats to creators, calls to shoot up a movie, insults, trolling actors, calling for boycotts and petitions on Change.org or even to the White House.

Who is the common factor? A BLACK chracter.

I cold write the greatest Shi Chang or Katanna or Jaime Reyes or Batwoman or Midnighter book-NOBODY would know about it because of the 100+ complaint threads aimed at Duke Thomas, Falcon, Miles, Static, Leslie Jones, Brandon Eastman, John Stewart and so on.

Companies want the easy and at times CHEAPEST way to get attention. The trolls are helping all those projects get attention (sales is another story). When some like FF4 didn't need it.

Now some will say why isn't that happening with Cyborg? What has Dc done with him to earn that hate? His last issue got outsold by Moon Girl.

What have they done with any black chracter to warrant a fuss? Outside of Duke Thomas-all the offensive ones are gone.

DC and this there can only be ONE-is a bad thing. Marvel has Luke Cage, BP, Miles, Moon Girl, Mosaic & Prowler. You have competition. You are forced to step up your game to get readers.

DC is tossing out doubles issue of a badly selling Cyborg book with no direction. They are doing to him what they did to Luke Fox-keep his book going no matter how bad it sells.

You will not beat Marvel with a badly done guy. Yes Dc has a SUPERIOR diverse roster yet fear of ticking off white males or somone likes a Green Lantern or Batgirl not named Hal or Babs or someone DARES enter comics via Static or Batwoman instead of Bat Jesus is holding them back.

Right now what they are doing is allowing Marvel to catch up and that is the LAST thing you should ever do.

Extraordinary Member

The difference between what I listed and what you listed is that my list features a wide variety of races/ethnicities whereas yours only features Blacks and Kamela Khan.
    This is not true.
    I posted a list in marvel thread and tv/film thread awhile go showing more diverse characters than that in marvel on tv,cartoons,games and comics.Anyway i think dc and marvel do a really good job,but i think marvel overall does a better job.
    I am not one of those that think dc does a bad job but dc could do a better job than they are now.
    Last edited by mace11; 08-26-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    This is not true.
    I posted a list in marvel thread and tv/film thread awhile go showing more diverse characters than that in marvel on tv,cartoons,games and comics.Anyway i think dc and marvel does a good enough job,but i think marvel overall does a better job.
    No need to post a list, please. because listing background appearances are meaningless unless its an appearance of substance.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52