Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    option C) he's always on his own side. he's going to try to get to Ulysses so that he has the edge; as opposed to the mainstream heroes.
    He may just kill Ulysses for not predicting "some" of those other deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Marvel also put out Ms Marvel, Squirrel Girl which no one was demanding. Thanos is getting a solo as well that no one seems to be clamoring for.

This is the thing. If a publisher is going to put out a title, then they better back it with a quality creative team and good story-telling, regardless of the character's race, religion, gender or sexual orientation. Don't put out dreck under the guise of diversity and expect people to buy it.
    I think they should have tried a change of artist before cancelling the title. but, yeah, it was disconnected. that aspect of the book bothered me. it's one thing to have someone who has operated on an Avengers team have an unconnected solo adventure. but they wasted a strength of the Nighthawk character. he's a fish out of water. it was a mistake to put him in a situation indistinguishable from that of the other Earth.

He may just kill Ulysses for not predicting "some" of those other deaths.
    i would hope not. Ulysses is too much of an asset. I could see Magneto doing something like that, though.

I think they should have tried a change of artist before cancelling the title. but, yeah, it was disconnected. that aspect of the book bothered me. it's one thing to have someone who has operated on an Avengers team have an unconnected solo adventure. but they wasted a strength of the Nighthawk character. he's a fish out of water. it was a mistake to put him in a situation indistinguishable from that of the other Earth.
    There are just too many characters out there that would have made for an interesting confrontation with Nighthawk. Marvel really should have started out this series with a Punisher or Sam Wilson guest appearance.

i would hope not. Ulysses is too much of an asset. I could see Magneto doing something like that, though.
    I don't know. Ulysses is only useful in mega events.

I don't know. Ulysses is only useful in mega events.
    Nighthawk doesn't know that, though. he just sees Carol's group being more proactive; all of a sudden. that's the mission statement of the Squadron.

There are just too many characters out there that would have made for an interesting confrontation with Nighthawk. Marvel really should have started out this series with a Punisher or Sam Wilson guest appearance.
    they could just make it an event; "Nighthawk Declares War on the Marvel Universe."

Incredible Member

Well I am disappointed but it was inevitable. Why can't Marvel make the books cheaper for obscure characters? Maybe more people would be willing to give it a chance then. Well I'm going to invest in Mosaic and Prowler. Even though there's a 99% chance those both will also be cancelled at issue 6.

books could be cheaper. but then I don't know that the industry would survive.

BANNED

Marvel also put out Ms Marvel, Squirrel Girl which no one was demanding. Thanos is getting a solo as well that no one seems to be clamoring for.

This is the thing. If a publisher is going to put out a title, then they better back it with a quality creative team and good story-telling, regardless of the character's race, religion, gender or sexual orientation. Don't put out dreck under the guise of diversity and expect people to buy it.
    Well said my friend.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    I blame the publisher for putting out a book without demand to sustain it. Everything else is just hot air and playing victim.

You can not blame the publisher for putting out a book.

Marvel can not make a comic book store stock the book and YES we have had store refuse to sell many books not just those with POC in the lead. Ask Archie Comics about that.

Marvel can not make a person read the book if that person mindset is I see a nonwhite straight male lead and I don't want it around. Thus the legion of complaint threads.

What Marvell2100 is saying why is it every non straight white male's fault for books like Nighthawk not selling yet that same arrow is not tossed at white straight males when Black Knight bombs.

Then we get sermons saying this proves that Marvel should only give straight white males shots.

Yet those books fail JUST as fast as every other book. Yet no blame is tossed out.

Reality is not every book will sale. What the "SJW" are stating is don't let one non straight white male book that fails be used as the WEAPON to prevent Marvel from trying someone else.

Nor sit on your rear end and gloat because Black Panther is the top minority lead seller. You still have to keep trying.

And since DC thinks diversity is a deformed black guy, a racist stereotype named Wally, John's pets in Green Lantern & background minorities-Marvel will keep trying because they have no real competition.

But it's not about the quality of the art. It's about personal tastes. And I think the comment is also generalizing to a high degree, taking a couple examples and treating them as universal. Yes, Villalobos' art doesn't appeal to a lot of people. We'll add Greene (PM&IF) and Henderson (Squirrel Girl). Maybe Caldwell (the second arc of A-Force). I hate Ramos' art, but I'm not sure I'd call EXM a B-list title. Same with Bachalo on Dr. Strange, with the added note that Bachalo is a hugely popular artist.
    ANd don't forget who is on the cover.

All those artist will be given passes if they draw certain characters. Nobody has issues with Greg Land nor Sanford Greene when they do X-Men, Iron Man, Deadpool or Peter Parker-yet all their flaws become excuses to not support when it's Luke Cage, Squirrel Girl, Mighty Avengers & certain others.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You can not blame the publisher for putting out a book.

Marvel can not make a comic book store stock the book and YES we have had store refuse to sell many books not just those with POC in the lead. Ask Archie Comics about that.

Marvel can not make a person read the book if that person mindset is I see a nonwhite straight male lead and I don't want it around. Thus the legion of complaint threads.

What Marvell2100 is saying why is it every non straight white male's fault for books like Nighthawk not selling yet that same arrow is not tossed at white straight males when Black Knight bombs.

Then we get sermons saying this proves that Marvel should only give straight white males shots.

Yet those books fail JUST as fast as every other book. Yet no blame is tossed out.

Reality is not every book will sale. What the "SJW" are stating is don't let one non straight white male book that fails be used as the WEAPON to prevent Marvel from trying someone else.
    When a book like Black Knight fails, there's a good chance there won't be a thread about it at all, or a thread with about 10
    posts. We (white folks) realize that the book had an uphill battle anyway, but cancellation is just something that happens when
    not enough people care about a book, so we tend to just move on. End of story. Would it be better if we all started claiming there
    was a concerted effort by comic shop owners to make Black Knight fail because of an agenda? Should we start guilting the
    minority groups represented here by assuming they didn't buy their share, for whatever reason? Because thats what happens
    when a POC book gets cancelled. It's never because either the customer base is still too small to sustain the title, or the customer
    base doesn't back up their demands with actual dollars. It's always because the "other" fans let the book die.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    When a book like Black Knight fails, there's a good chance there won't be a thread about it at all, or a thread with about 10
    posts. We (white folks) realize that the book had an uphill battle anyway, but cancellation is just something that happens when
    not enough people care about a book, so we tend to just move on. End of story. Would it be better if we all started claiming there
    was a concerted effort by comic shop owners to make Black Knight fail because of an agenda? Should we start guilting the
    minority groups represented here by assuming they didn't buy their share, for whatever reason? Because thats what happens
    when a POC book gets cancelled. It's never because either the customer base is still too small to sustain the title, or the customer
    base doesn't back up their demands with actual dollars. It's always because the "other" fans let the book die.
    Who's "guilting" you?

Part of the problem too was that Nighthawk's title seemed cut off from the rest of the MU. These series have to be firmly rooted with what's happening currently in the MU.

Who's side would Nighthawk be on in CWII? Carol's would seem a no-brainer but would he just see it as another form of profiling?
    Excellent point. As cool (and at times needed) as it is to do your own thing in your own corner of the playpen like an indie title, a big part of the big two is the shared universe and inter-connectivity. Nighthawk definitely could've used some of that.

In fact, I feel they should've went *all in* with the SS and boosted their abilities to something more comparable to the actual JL. Nighthawk and Hyperion were fine as is, but I would've made Blurr Flash-fast (or capable of Monica Rambeau fast), I'd have made Warrior Woman a she-hulk level flying brick with tricks up her sleeve, and Dr. Spectrum as that duex ex machina type. That way they'd be closer to the Ultimates, still not as powerful in a fair fight but the whole point would be they don't fight fair. And so as this anti-JL, i'd have had them appear in all the Avenger books and the solo titles for most of those members (Miles, Tony, Kamala, etc). Nothing huge but just enough that readers are very cognitive of them and how big of a deal they are.

Hell, I'd have had the SS attempting to kill Ulysses be a big part of the main CW II book itself. And then Nighthawk's solo tie-in would've gone more into the psychology/reasoning that he has, and have him come across someone like black panther for the first time.

I was really bummed to read about this cancellation. I really have enjoyed the series so far, minus the choice to use running shoes instead of boots by the artist, it honestly was a distraction for me lol. Hopefully at some point in the future Marvel will give Nighthawk another series, maybe plan it out as a mini series so there is less of a commitment.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.