Page 125 of 148 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 2217

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Again, I still am not seeing why she needs to be depowered simply because they decide to make her smart. What does being smart have to do with having Griot powers one way or the other.

Hell, you can argue the Griot powers justify her becoming smarter. The additional knowledge might actually help explain why she's suddenly being potrayed as smarter than she was in the past.
    You are the only one saying depowered. I said I don't see it as Griot.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    But as you can already see, the writer has already begun modeling her on the MCU version of Shuri.

It's already a step towards moving away from the Griot persona.

It's a Coates problem that the writer is seemingly trying to rectify by making her MCU friendly.
    I’m all for Shuri being more MCU friendly. All for MCU elements been included. I’m not in favor of Comics Shuri being supplanted by MCU Shuri altogether.

The book’s synopsis stated that Shuri prefers staying in the lab over ruling via the throne. At no point under any Shuri portrayal by any Shuri writer—including Coates—was that the case. That is a major retcon that changes the character drastically.

Furthermore, I don’t think the Griot powers restrict Shuri at all. If anything, it makes her unique. Combining the Griot stuff with MCU science/tech abilities further enhances her, imho.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 07-18-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    You are the only one saying depowered. I said I don't see it as Griot.
    Why does being smart prevent her from being Griot? I'm still not getting that part of it.

I never liked the Griot thing. I'll take the armor she wore fighting Namor any day.

She’s all for it!

A lot of buzz for the Shuri book. A lot has changed since the movie.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 07-19-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Why does being smart prevent her from being Griot? I'm still not getting that part of it.
    Can't help you there.

Nnedi Okorafor speaks with BBC about the upcoming Shuri book:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06f8f00

Sounds like it will indeed be mostly MCU Shuri, with a few elements of Comics Shuri added into.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    I’m all for Shuri being more MCU friendly. All for MCU elements been included. I’m not in favor of Comics Shuri being supplanted by MCU Shuri altogether.

The book’s synopsis stated that Shuri prefers staying in the lab over ruling via the throne. At no point under any Shuri portrayal by any Shuri writer—including Coates—was that the case. That is a major retcon that changes the character drastically.

Furthermore, I don’t think the Griot powers restrict Shuri at all. If anything, it makes her unique. Combining the Griot stuff with MCU science/tech abilities further enhances her, imho.
    That's your opinion.

Coates turning Shuri into a deux ex Machina QOTD, has done nothing for her as a character and has really nerfed something that elevated T'Challa.

Shuri was super cool as originally envisioned by her creator, Reginald Hudlin and further solidified by Messrs Liss and Hickman.

BANNED

Why is portraying T'challa as the super genius intellect and Warrior King he's supposed to be so hard for some to comprehend, recognise and appreciate, so hard for some to accept.

The Griot abilities where a straight rip off from T'Challa's KOTD status and powers.

You know the same T'challa that some claim didn't require a power up.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

She’s all for it!

A lot of buzz for the Shuri book. A lot has changed since the movie.
    very awesome stuff indeed I love this..
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Nnedi Okorafor speaks with BBC about the upcoming Shuri book:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06f8f00

Sounds like it will indeed be mostly MCU Shuri, with a few elements of Comics Shuri added into.
    Listening to that makes me feel better about this book. She mentions that Shuri is not only a technological genius, but Is deeply rooted in the mystical. I'm completely down with a Shuri being both a tech and a mystical character. It is possible to combine both elements... Doom has been doing it for quite some time.

If we're talking out of this series with a Shuri that is both smarter and more powerful, then I'm all for the movie synergy. As long as they are adding without taking anything away, we're left with a net gain for her.

Mighty Member

Wasn't the whole tech/mysticism angle T'challa's thing? Isn't that where shadow physics came from, a blending of the two. Now they want to give that to Shuri and make her some all powerful being. It was bad enough when T'challa was stripped of his throne and his kotd powers.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Wasn't the whole tech/mysticism angle T'challa's thing? Isn't that where shadow physics came from, a blending of the two. Now they want to give that to Shuri and make her some all powerful being. It was bad enough when T'challa was stripped of his throne and his kotd powers.
    I don't think T'Challa was stripped of his KOTD powers... he just doesn't use them all that much. There is only so many times the ability to control zombies is really going to be useful.

Also, I doublt she'll become all powerful. This probably just means she'll be walking around with the cat shaped blasters on her arms when she's in fights now.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Good find!

Based on the preview of the interior page:

-Is it me, or does Shuri appears de-aged a bit?

-Shuri and Eden is still going. Might be more overt this time.

-T’Challa heads to space.

-Zuri flashback?