Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    It seems to me the futuristic setting of the LSH would lend itself to a legacy series. What about "Legion of Super-Heroes: The Next Generation"? Some of the members could be the children of the original Legionnaires.
    DC fans aren't open enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    You need to start out with the Legion people love and evolve it from there.
    Problem is, how many people who "love" previous version(s) of the LoSH are still buying / reading comic books, and how many of them "love" the same versions?

Look at debate on bringing back a JSA . . . some people want the original, Golden Age members, while others insist it HAS TO BE the Geoff Johns era when most of the Golden Age members were already dead.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Problem is, how many people who "love" previous version(s) of the LoSH are still buying / reading comic books, and how many of them "love" the same versions?

Look at debate on bringing back a JSA . . . some people want the original, Golden Age members, while others insist it HAS TO BE the Geoff Johns era when most of the Golden Age members were already dead.
    I'm a huge fan of the Legion, but I 100% don't want the same old joint. The concept is too great to just be nailed to the nostalgia of a handful of fans. I want to see new frontiers explored, new characters, fresh concepts. Vast worlds. All of that.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

1. I've always felt that the legion is the one comic that could do with a real reboot.

2. I feel it should keep it's connection to Superman. A wish it could thrive on its own but I feel history has proven otherwise.

3. Return to it's more teen themed roots. referring to grown men and women as Lad, Lass, boy and girl is really a hard sell, and renaming the entire roster will be tricky.

4. For crying out loud make your aliens more alien looking. I don't think the universe filled with oddly human looking aliens works anymore even Star trek is starting to deviate from that concept. You can keep a few humanoid races (Daxamites for example) but a lot of the other races could due with a redesign.

5. Find a audience surrogate character and use him/her to introduce the Legion. This comic is great concept, but it can be really intimidating to new people, do to it's scope and number of characters. Historically Superman and Supergirl played the role.

Retired

With the classic Legion, I assumed that most humanoids were just colonists that had come to those planets centuries before (with augmented DNA to help them survive)--and they had come from Earth or Thanagar or Rann.

Then add in all the Kryptonian hybird offspring--given a thousand years, even with just a couple of Kryptonians breeding with other humanoids, the population would be huge.

Levitz and other writers started to introduce weirder looking aliens. So that could go forward. However, there's a point at which this becomes useless. Aliens have to be human enough that we can relate to them. In reality, true aliens might be beyond our ability to comprehend--but writing a comic book about that wouldn't get very far. There has to be some artistic license for the sake of entertainment.

I found Proty II and Tellus relatable enough, but Quislet challenged my empathy.

Levitz in his heyday of the 80's wrote the Legion as Super-Heroes in a Sci-Fi/Futuristic setting, with an emphasis on the Super-Hero elements. Heroes, villains, romances, interpersonal character growth and conflict. The Sci-Fi/Futuristic elements would get more or less emphasis from story to story, but always in service of the Super-Hero elements. Trouble was, as time passed and fans grew to view themselves as more serious and adult, they wanted more exploration and emphasis on the Sci-Fi/Futuristic elements, including world-building and further development of the concepts introduced in the 30th century setting, and Levitz was usually, "Eh, not really that interested in that stuff."

I remember fans writing in and asking about things like, "What are the changes in moral thinking and how people see the world around them going to actually be like 1,000 years from now? What is the morality of mind-reading and mind-probes? Shouldn't we be seeing more creative and imaginative uses of the Legionnaires' powers, especially in making more of the female Legionnaires' powers more dynamic and useful and less passive? How did the United Planets form and evolve into what we see today? What kind of government *is* the UP, anyway? How does the Science Police work? How is the rest of the rest of the galaxy responding to and treating the Daxamite race after Darkseid mind-controlled them into attacking the rest of the known universe? Where are the truly non-human aliens, and when are we going to see one join the Legion? Why isn't Brainiac 5 redesigning his force-shield belt to do far, far more? Why aren't there more members from planets where everybody has the same power? What are sports like in the 30th century? Religion? Why isn't cloning being used to bring back deceased Legionnaires?" and more. (There was also one from a fan, more than year before COIE, who demanded that the past 15 or so years of Legion stories be declared null and void or shunted off to a parallel Earth and the book revert EVERYTHING back to "the world firmly established by Curt Swan and Jim Shooter," and this was before ANY of the continuity reboots/changes the Legion would face in the years to come.)

What I'm trying to say is, there needs to be a delicate balance struck between how much of the Legion is Super-Hero elements, and how much is Science-Fiction/Futuristic world-builing.

Astonishing Member

not levitz again. he already failed once.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I found Proty II and Tellus relatable enough, but Quislet challenged my empathy.
    Well, Quislet was written with zero depth. He was nothing more than a chirpy attitude. But I do agree with that challenge of relatability. For me, Sneckie and Gates were the non-humanoids I thought who had the best development. Blok and Tellus both suffered from what I take to be the writer's decision to make them alien in their mentalities - they were written as outside our society and had a difficult time relating to *us*, so it hindered our ability to relate to them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    No love for Jim Shooter, one of the best Legion writers of all times (along with Levitz), in my opinion?

Sandy Hausler
    Yeah, Jim Shooter would be awesome i really liked his Legion run of 2005-2009 series. That's the only Legion run that i liked so far. Other than that i read some Levitz stuff... like Great Darkness Saga and The Curse and they were terrible... if Levitz or Didio writes, i will definetly not buy the book.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Bleh isn't LoSH an archaic concept? Please don't use nostalgia in your arguments otherwise.
    No more so than any other super hero group. I think it did get a little stagnant -- and there was, perhaps to much reliance on Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl and Brainiac 5. But the core concept of a large group of superheroes as interplanetary peacekeepers is fine. Execution could be improved -- some of those names need improved and some of the original power sets need expanded -- especially for the girls. I mean look at Marvel's Darkstar compared to Shadow Lass.

Please no writers that have previously written the Legion. The story really needs to move forward
    Please Remain Calm

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    What do you guys think about the New upcoming legion of Superheros comic announced by DC?
    As with the main "Rebirth" story, DC is playing the long game with the Legion of Super-Heroes. But plans are clearly set in place; at Baltimore Comic Con 2016, they revealed that one of the DC Rebirth panel would soon be writing Legion of Super-Heroes. That’s a choice of Dan DiDio, Tom King, Hope Larson, James Tynion IV, Paul Levitz, Keith Giffen, Dan Jurgens and Yannick Paquette. While I'd highlight Paul Levitz and Tom King — Levitz has been associated with the Legion for decades, while King gave a nod to Saturn Girl in Batman #9
    I'm all for it except Dan Didio better not be writing it lol.
    A year after this thread was started, and what exactly has DC done on this (that we know of) since then?

A year after this thread was started, and what exactly has DC done on this (that we know of) since then?
    Crickets are chirping, owls are who-ing.

Astonishing Member

well. Saturn Girl showed up for what, a panel in a Batman issue?

And DC lied to readers in a solicit making many think she'd be in that Annual that ended up being Psi instead, and Cadmus instead of Arkham.

And the very beloved barely changed anything adaptation coming up in the Supergirl TV show (sarcasm, don't kill me).

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    well. Saturn Girl showed up for what, a panel in a Batman issue?

And DC lied to readers in a solicit making many think she'd be in that Annual that ended up being Psi instead, and Cadmus instead of Arkham.

And the very beloved barely changed anything adaptation coming up in the Supergirl TV show (sarcasm, don't kill me).
    Plus Brainiac 5 will be in the next episode of Supergirl. So there's four of them; Saturn Girl, Brianiac 5, Mon-El, and Supergirl.