Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired

Reading other people's comics is a dangerous thing. When I was a kid, it was common for any household to have some stack of comic books. I expected if I went into a home, even if I'd never been there before, that they would have comics and I got good at nosing them out. Also other kids would always bring their comics over to ours, to share.

So when I grew up, I had this memory of all these comic book stories I had read and yet I didn't have those comics in my collection. It's annoying having these half-memories of stories, yet not being able to read them. And, of course, I wanted to find those comics. I think I've found most of the DCs that I read back then, but there's several Gold Key, Dell, Harvey and the like that I will probably never find.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Reading other people's comics is a dangerous thing. When I was a kid, it was common for any household to have some stack of comic books. I expected if I went into a home, even if I'd never been there before, that they would have comics and I got good at nosing them out. Also other kids would always bring their comics over to ours, to share.

So when I grew up, I had this memory of all these comic book stories I had read and yet I didn't have those comics in my collection. It's annoying having these half-memories of stories, yet not being able to read them. And, of course, I wanted to find those comics. I think I've found most of the DCs that I read back then, but there's several Gold Key, Dell, Harvey and the like that I will probably never find.
    This is definitely true for me, but thankfully my source is just one friend who has a collection as big as mine or bigger. Probably half my DC knowledge comes from his collection. Lots of Aquaman, lots of Green Lantern, New Frontier, JLA: Year One, Batman: Year One, Dark Knight Returns, and basically my entire Marvel readership (20 volumes I'd say) comes from his library.

The good thing about comics is that their publications are pretty easy to track, so don't lose hope. It's out there somewhere with a number and date on it. But I can definitely relate to remembering stories and character moments and not being able to put your finger on where they featured.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

I have found all of the DC and Marvel comics I read, but, like you, I haven't been as fortunate with the other companies. It doesn't really bother me, though, since I can't recall a single story.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by dcfanpal View Post
    I still have one of the Famous First Edition copies of SUPERMAN #1, which were signed by both Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.
    So, so lucky.

I think the coolest thing I own is probably my first print HC copy of Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight"...the cover does NOT say "Returns" on it. The first or second page has a sketch of Batman & Carrie, and it's autographed by Miller & numbered. I would have to look again, but they only made 500 of these (or 5,000? One of the two) and I have number 62.

I've never been able to find out just what it is, but one LCS owner told me it is a "Media Edition" or something like that. I've seen it on ebay a few times before, it's always going for a few hundred. I got mine froma used tpb shelf at my LCS, near-mint condition, for $10. I think one of the teenagers there took it on a trade and didn't know what it was.

Edit: I was off on the numbering. They did 4,000 of these (this isn't mine, just a random on ebay)
    IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg
    Last edited by Clark_Kent; 04-25-2017 at 09:49 AM.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Fantastic Member ZoomZolomonZoom's Avatar

Don't really know if this counts, but my Grandpa used to own a few of the original Jay Garrick comics. Believe it not, I was completely disinterested in them as a kid since I was a total Wally West fanboy at the time, and thought his costume looked dumb. :/

They're gone now but today as a fan of the entire Flash family, those would've been amazing to look at. sigh At least he still has some old Superman and MAD Comics to see. xD
    Last edited by ZoomZolomonZoom; 04-25-2017 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZolomonZoom View Post
    Don't really know if this counts, but my Grandpa used to own a few of the original Jay Garrick comics. Believe it not, I was completely disinterested in them as a kid since I was a total Wally West fanboy at the time, and thought his costume looked dumb. :/

They're gone now but today as a fan of the entire Flash family, those would've been amazing to look at. sigh At least he still has some old Superman and MAD Comics to see. xD
    My father had a whole chest full of Golden Age and early Silver Age comics from when he was a kid, but they were all destroyed due to flooding/humidity/something in my grandmother's basement. I don't know who was more disappointed - my father or me.

Side note, I definitely looking forward to indoctrinating-I mean, sharing the wonder of superhero comic book magic, with my kids once I have some. I think it's part of the reason I keep every comic I buy.

My copy of The Brave and the Bold #34. Got it CGC graded a couple of years ago at a 4.0. Not the most pristine copy out there, sure, but it's complete and it's mine.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    My copy of The Brave and the Bold #34. Got it CGC graded a couple of years ago at a 4.0. Not the most pristine copy out there, sure, but it's complete and it's mine.
    Nice! That's pretty special.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I have no idea what issue number it is, but I'd love to get my hands on Wally West's first appearance.
    Just looked it up real quick. Number #110, 1959

Incredible Member

- entire run of Marvel's Transformers #1-80, Transformers Universe, Transformers Headmasters, Transformers The Movie
    - entire decade issue runs of Batman and Detective Comics from 1980-1989
    - John Byrne's entire Superman run

Kingdom Come
    Batman: Year One
    Legion of Superheroes: Great Darkness Saga
    LoSH Vol. 4 -"Five Years Later".

Fantastic Member

I do own a copy of SUPERMAN: THE WEDDING ALBUM (the limited Gold Edition).

There are quite a few. One that I can not remember an issue number, but there is the first Robin 2. I believe he was an alternate earth robin or something. But he dies to save the day . His costume is identical to classic dick robin except it has a roman #2 stitched to it. This would be a sweet issue to own. The death of Iris West would be cool. I own some of the following issues but this would be great to have, and the issue when Barry snaps Professor Zooms neck for attempting to kill his second wife. Wow. Many more, too many to put down really.